Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

Solar and future Lithium

Have a 2018 Force 37TS that is prewired for solar. Want to add 500-600 watts of solar. Should I buy a complete system with inverter/charger/transfer switch all in one, or just add the panels, a charge controller and up the inverter size? Currently have an 1800 watt Magnum inverter but want to go to around 3000 watts. Lithium is also in the future so need everything to be compatible. Have not found a lot of information on this for doing the add on a prewired unit. Thanks
M T Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Commercial Member

What do you mean "Pre-Wired". I don't recall us ever pre-wiring for solar. It either got it or it didn't. Or do you mean it has the 200 Watt option on it?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Sorry Brian. Should have clarified. It has the MC4 mount on the roof and I found the wires coming down from the roof into the cabinet behind the seat. Have not located the wire down from inside the cabinet, but have 2 10g loose end wires in the electric bay red and yellow I believe.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Ah, well...that might have been built into the standard harness...so in theory, it is "sort of " pre-wired, but normally we don't install the MC4 mount on the roof. Likely an error in your favor. Lots of options. Easiest is solar panels and then controller. You can always figure out the rest later.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
Consumer of Space

I agree, treat the solar independent of the inverter/charger.

Decide now if you want to go with a 12, 24, or 48 Volt battery bank. This will require a MPPT solar controller. The solar controller power capacity is based on Amps, so you'll get double or triple the power capacity if you go with 24 or 48V. I ended up using a Morningstar MPPT-60.

Powering house loads is easy with a let down converter. I use a Victron 24/12V converter. I ended up using a Victron Orion 24/12-70.

Inverter / Charger:
Once you decide what you're doing with the battery bank you can decide on an inverter. The 24V and 48V inverters are a bit more efficient and tend to come with higher power ratings. Wire size will decrease as you move up in voltage, but its a wash because power increases as well. I use a Magnum MS4024.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Ah, well...that might have been built into the standard harness...so in theory, it is "sort of " pre-wired, but normally we don't install the MC4 mount on the roof. Likely an error in your favor. Lots of options. Easiest is solar panels and then controller. You can always figure out the rest later.
Brian, how much longer before you offer some type of Explorer package for the M2 chassis? 2 Solar panels, unless they are producing 400 watts each is not really enough? I know you have been testing the 8D Li batteries so you must be pretty close?
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
Brian, how much longer before you offer some type of Explorer package for the M2 chassis? 2 Solar panels, unless they are producing 400 watts each is not really enough? I know you have been testing the 8D Li batteries so you must be pretty close?
Who knows....right now I am spending 7 hours of my day just trying to get the parts I already use. Covid, then Texas has absolutely crushed the supply chain.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T Pockets View Post
Currently have an 1800 watt Magnum inverter but want to go to around 3000 watts.

Wow Nellie, that inverter is a whopper. 3000 watts will draw 250 amps at 12VDC. You are not going to power that puppy from standard 12 volt RV battery bank.
Barry Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #9

1800 Watts is pretty good, I have a 2000W and that's enough.... Your 3000 will pull some serious amps that you probably dont need - (you may but) suggest you save some money and keep your 1800W for now -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
Wow Nellie, that inverter is a whopper. 3000 watts will draw 250 amps at 12VDC. You are not going to power that puppy from standard 12 volt RV battery bank.
Just remember, a 3,000 watt inverter won't draw max current of 250 amp unless you apply a 3,000 watt load to it.

A microwave is only a 1350-1500 watt load, usually, with a momentary surge. People often "go larger" on inverters to allow for future expansion of both appliances they will run, and modernizing battery banks to LiFePo4.

It takes 8 v batteries to provide the equivalent usable energy that 4 LiFePo4 batteries provide. 528 lbs versus 120 lbs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Thank you all for the replies and input. Clearly lots of options. Thinking 3000 watt for future use. (washer/dryer) in the plans. Planning on more off grid camping since campsites are almost impossible to come by here with hookups. Will upgrade to 4 lithium batteries in the near future along with extra panels if needed, Just want an efficient and simple system without having to rewire the rig. Fortunately I have access to most RV parts through my business from Meyers and LKQ-stag so i get great pricing and have lots of product options. Just want to be sure to do it once and do it right.

Also if anyone has an 18or 19 Force with the solar prep, curious as to what color the 2 10g loose end wires are in your electric bay. I have a red and yellow i believe. I have not found wires in the control cabinet that are coming up from the floor but have the red and black wires coming down from the MC4 plug on the roof.

Again, appreciate the help.
Gary

Tags
solar