Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #1

Solar Panel Cleaning?

Since the Dynamax RVs do not include a mounted ladder for roof access, what is the best method that you've found to clean your solar panels?

If your method is to lean a collapsable ladder against the left side, are you doing this with your slides in or out?
Old 12-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #2

I lean the ladder against the back of the coach. Then get on top. I use pool noodles around the ladder to avoid any damage to the paint.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boltralik View Post
Since the Dynamax RVs do not include a mounted ladder for roof access, what is the best method that you've found to clean your solar panels?

If your method is to lean a collapsable ladder against the left side, are you doing this with your slides in or out?
I just spray water up there to simulate rain to rinse them down. All the panels have a slight lean due to be mounted on a curved roof so that the water runs off with most of the dirt.

I don't get up there and hand-clean them, just like I do not do it for the panels on my house, as the panels already not being at optimal angles to the sun will affect generation output more than a light layer of sticky dust.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

You need to go up there at LEAST once a year anyway to inspect seals and wash roof, one of the most important steps required to preserve roof integrity. AND WARRANTY.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
You need to go up there at LEAST once a year anyway to inspect seals and wash roof, one of the most important steps required to preserve roof integrity. AND WARRANTY.
To be clear, I am not advocating to never go up there; I just don't get up there specifically to clean the solar panels. I was up there a week or so ago installing SoftStarts, to which the suggestion of a collapsible ladder with pool noodles placed against the back of the rig is also my preferred choice of access. That said, my DX3 is kept inside, so it sees shop dust more than world dust, and I understand if my more laissez faire approach is not acceptable to others.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Oh heck, if you're lucky enough to have indoor storage, roof cares should be minimal! Maybe you can get a California duster and tape it to a pole to keep panels 'clean'. Good call with the soft starts, I'm glad I did it. A/C mfr's are finally starting to include those on some models.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, panel, solar, solar panel