Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #41

First off I want to say I don't know crap about your issue with sound, except in general mechanical terms (30 year mechanic)..that said, you need to figure out the EXACT issue before you can effectively fix it...I have found that dynamat works really well for noise through the metal/body (noise from drive train/suspension/etc.)is concerned, you don't need to cover the whole area, just strips or squares stuck to the metal work well. Wind noise is much harder to deal with, just the mirrors/antennas can make tons of noise, add that to body seams (without seals) and other misc. crap and you can get a lot of noise..I am not up on the newest technology but I am wondering if they make 'noise canceling 'stereos these days, like you can get with headphones..I would think that if they do I would look into it...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Thanks for the info Chaching, I too am looking at lowering noise in motorhome. Your info is appreciated. Thinking maybe the answer may be foam earplugs because we don't normally go for more than four or five hours a day.

Interesting to note. I just qualified for hearing aids through Workers compensation (Canadian), all free!. A person must have been exposed to over 85 db over two years to qualify. I qualified easily and am wondering what these folks who are driving these newer motorhomes are doing to their hearing?

Thanks again.
Wow, my DX3 is very quiet and not any where close to creating noise in a dB range that would harm your hearing. I drove to FL this morning, 75 mph on cruise control. Quiet enough to hear the radio easily on low volume and chat normally with DW. Only time you can even hear the engine is if the fan clutch kicks on. What type of tires are you using on the front? Cupped tires and certain tread styles can make lots of noise especially if the toe in is off. I also had what sounded like a buzzing wind noise when I first got it. Tracked it down to the flat fiberglass panels where the coach mates up to the cab behind the fuel tanks on each side. Siliconed a small foam spacer on the back of each fuel tank to keep the fiberglass from vibrating against the tanks and that noise is gone. I don't have the full cabover bunk, maybe that reduces wind noise too.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Wow, my DX3 is very quiet and not any where close to creating noise in a dB range that would harm your hearing. I drove to FL this morning, 75 mph on cruise control. Quiet enough to hear the radio easily on low volume and chat normally with DW. Only time you can even hear the engine is if the fan clutch kicks on. What type of tires are you using on the front? Cupped tires and certain tread styles can make lots of noise especially if the toe in is off. I also had what sounded like a buzzing wind noise when I first got it. Tracked it down to the flat fiberglass panels where the coach mates up to the cab behind the fuel tanks on each side. Siliconed a small foam spacer on the back of each fuel tank to keep the fiberglass from vibrating against the tanks and that noise is gone. I don't have the full cabover bunk, maybe that reduces wind noise too.
It has to come down to the cabover and the wind noise because there is just too much difference in what we are talking about. I dont think I could hear the radio at 75 if I cranked it all the way up. LOL I'm exaggerating a little there but it is not a pleasant drive by no means at that speed. I wish I would have drove a rig without the cabover just to see the difference. I can tell you that if it is like you say Randy, and I am sure it is because you have traveled a lot, I would trade mine tomorrow for a DX3 without the cabover.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarb View Post
We just got a 2019 Sunseeker class C on a Chevy chassis. It is noisy, but we can talk and listen to audio books while driving, unless we are next to some big rigs. The noise does get fatiguing after a long drive, but sounds like it is better than some. My sister used to have an older MH and was surprised how quiet ours is by comparison. They couldn't talk to each other while driving. We might try some of your ideas to quiet it down a bit more.
My feet do get warm next to the doghouse, but it is not bad. Maybe the new units have more insulation? Adding more for summer driving sounds like a great idea!

We went from a Sunseeker to a Dynamax REV. The REV doesn’t have the front overhang and is much quieter. We were glad to get rid of all the noise.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #45

I am going to mention something else to consider with rigs that just seem load in side, especially the DX3s, DXLs and the Force. When I bought mine it had a slight drive shaft vibration, I took it to a Freightliner dealer to get repaired. When I picked it up I was told that the mechanic said that there is still a slight vibration but it wasn’t very noticeable. On my trip home I thought differently but wasn’t able to get up to highway speeds. Our next trip was going to be 10 hours of highway driving. Once on the highway and up to speed I realized that the vibration was worse and the droning noise associated with it made it so load inside that I could hardly talk with my wife in the front seat. The droning just seemed to make it very load inside, hard to explain. After that trip I removed the driveshaft myself and had it rebalanced, although it is still not as good as I would like it to be it is better and it is definitely quieter.
These rigs are built right on the chassis without any isolation so any vibration in the chassis makes its way to the body.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
I am going to mention something else to consider with rigs that just seem load in side, especially the DX3s, DXLs and the Force. When I bought mine it had a slight drive shaft vibration, I took it to a Freightliner dealer to get repaired. When I picked it up I was told that the mechanic said that there is still a slight vibration but it wasn’t very noticeable. On my trip home I thought differently but wasn’t able to get up to highway speeds. Our next trip was going to be 10 hours of highway driving. Once on the highway and up to speed I realized that the vibration was worse and the droning noise associated with it made it so load inside that I could hardly talk with my wife in the front seat. The droning just seemed to make it very load inside, hard to explain. After that trip I removed the driveshaft myself and had it rebalanced, although it is still not as good as I would like it to be it is better and it is definitely quieter.
These rigs are built right on the chassis without any isolation so any vibration in the chassis makes its way to the body.
That is something to consider for sure. I am headed out tomorrow hunting again with my son but when I get back I am going to take a good drive and see what I can come up with now. I dont have or even know how to use a decibel meter but would love to get up to 70+ and check it.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
That is something to consider for sure. I am headed out tomorrow hunting again with my son but when I get back I am going to take a good drive and see what I can come up with now. I dont have or even know how to use a decibel meter but would love to get up to 70+ and check it.
As for a decibel meter, there’s an app for that.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
As for a decibel meter, there’s an app for that.
One of the best Apps for a sound level meter and available for free is from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Search in the Apple App store for "NIOSH SLM". It is very accurate and you can measure the noise over a period of time if you wish.

Unfortunately, at this time it is only available for Apple Phones. There is not a corresponding App for Android.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #49

My rig is almost dead quiet at 55, by 70 I have some droning noise along with wind and engine noise. I know I still have a drive shaft vibration, I can feel it driving and if I walk through the rig while my wife is driving I can feel it in the floor. I can especially feel it when I am standing above the rear carrier bearing.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
One of the best Apps for a sound level meter and available for free is from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Search in the Apple App store for "NIOSH SLM". It is very accurate and you can measure the noise over a period of time if you wish.

Unfortunately, at this time it is only available for Apple Phones. There is not a corresponding App for Android.
Great suggestion, just downloaded it.

Showed my wife how much noise she generates. Now I have to leave town quickly .
Old 11-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
You like living on the edge!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #52

At least you’ve got an RV to live in
Old 11-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
You like living on the edge!
Yeah, but she admits she is noisy but she still gets mad when I present proof.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
At least you’ve got an RV to live in
True, but she makes the payments after my significant down payment..

Old 11-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #55

Quote:

Oh Dang that was good.

I will download the app and do a demo when I get back in town
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #56

Quote:

Glad it worked for you. However I won't be held responsible for any misuse or missteps in presenting the sound information to your wife .
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #57

Downloaded the app and rainy crappy weather so didn't want to drive the rig down the road but started and played with the app just to see at idle what it would show. Engine had just been started so it was at fast idle but recorded 58.5 average. Have no clue if that's loud or not but thats what it said.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #58
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
This chart gives you an idea about SPL (Sound Pressure Level) and exposure rates

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/...parison-chart/
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
Glad it worked for you. However I won't be held responsible for any misuse or missteps in presenting the sound information to your wife .
Ha ha, wise disclaimer.

This popped up as an ad on YouTube. I think it is an OEM install worth investigating for those disturbed by noise.

https://www.silentium.com/

Old 05-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #60
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We option in Freightliner's "max insulation package" on the M2-106. So the Force HD and DX3 both get it.
Does this apply to the M2-112 as well? I've found the cab pretty loud as well. I had one renegade dealer tell me that the 112's are louder than the 106's in his experience.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote