Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Southwire Surge Guard 40450RVC & Portable Surge Protection

Since this question comes up often (portable surge protection). I thought I would post what I learned recently.

With some weird things I have not seen on a recent Surge Guard 40450RVC, I wanted to have Southwire come in for better education. They were very informative.

The old model transfer/surge guard we used, I felt like the "surge board" went out more often than it should. Was everyone getting power spikes? According to South Wire, they felt it was just the power wave from the Onan Gen. The more you run the gen, the more "not exactly clean" waves you are getting and it would take out some components (they think). A power filter for the Onan might help prevent that.

Today, we run the 40450RVC. Not only is it rated for higher protection, but it is smarter and will not allow dirty power to connect. (Their web site has a comparison of the different versions). Two things I would add from their suggestions.

1. There is a remote panel that is available (pn 40299). While the Firefly can show faults via RVC, they are not stored. However the remote panel WILL store faults so you can go back and look at what could have happened. We will start adding those at some point and just leave them near the inverter for troubleshooting. It connects to a different port than Firefly, so both can be connected (smart). Can be had for $100-ish

2. The rep said the 40450RVC doesn't really need any outside protection, however, if it was his coach the 44270 was good for piece of mind. So for about $100, not only do you get portable protection, but it comes with "Connected Equipment Coverage". He said that is a small price to pay to have someone else cover the cost of damage from a surge.
Now you know what I know.

(Posting here in case some are not on FB)
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

Good info!

Camping World has the 44270 for $99.08. Didn’t find on Amazon.

I would always opt for a portable surge protector keep the built in surge guard protected. I have an aversion to messing with anything in the electrical bay.

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-08-2022, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Since this question comes up often (portable surge protection). I thought I would post what I learned recently.

With some weird things I have not seen on a recent Surge Guard 40450RVC, I wanted to have Southwire come in for better education. They were very informative.

The old model transfer/surge guard we used, I felt like the "surge board" went out more often than it should. Was everyone getting power spikes? According to South Wire, they felt it was just the power wave from the Onan Gen. The more you run the gen, the more "not exactly clean" waves you are getting and it would take out some components (they think). A power filter for the Onan might help prevent that.

Today, we run the 40450RVC. Not only is it rated for higher protection, but it is smarter and will not allow dirty power to connect. (Their web site has a comparison of the different versions). Two things I would add from their suggestions.

1. There is a remote panel that is available (pn 40299). While the Firefly can show faults via RVC, they are not stored. However the remote panel WILL store faults so you can go back and look at what could have happened. We will start adding those at some point and just leave them near the inverter for troubleshooting. It connects to a different port than Firefly, so both can be connected (smart). Can be had for $100-ish

2. The rep said the 40450RVC doesn't really need any outside protection, however, if it was his coach the 44270 was good for piece of mind. So for about $100, not only do you get portable protection, but it comes with "Connected Equipment Coverage". He said that is a small price to pay to have someone else cover the cost of damage from a surge.
Now you know what I know.

(Posting here in case some are not on FB)

What model year did you start installing the 40450RVC?
ďBreathe in, Breathe out, Move onĒ
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I believe it was a running change this past year.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 08-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I believe it was a running change this past year.
Can the internal surge protector be upgraded to the newer model in our 2021 Isata 5 30FW.

I'm not sure I understood this. If the possible surge cause is from the Onan Generator how would the extra external surge protector help?
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #6

Our 2022 Europa has the 40450RVC. I also use a pedestal use RV Surge Guard.
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
Can the internal surge protector be upgraded to the newer model in our 2021 Isata 5 30FW.

I'm not sure I understood this. If the possible surge cause is from the Onan Generator how would the extra external surge protector help?
1. I see no reason that it could not be upgraded.
2. It is not a surge from the Onan that is the issue. It was merely speculation from Southwire, that the less than pure sine wave from the Onan could potentially wear out the FET's or MOV's...not sure which, I think MOV's...that are on the surge board. If you have had a transfer switch go out, and are not aware of a surge, then it might be safe to have a power filter added.

Again, pure speculation.

Tags
wire