Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

Spare Tire Mount

To Schultz01

Hey Andy, now that I have a spare tire I went back and found your post about the spare tire mount you installed up under the rear of the frame. What year/model is your Dynamax? I'm assuming my DX3 TS should have the same amount of open space up under there.

I went to the Troy website and its pretty basic. Can you share with me the part numbers of what you purchased and who did you get them from? Did you get one with a torque tube and handle so you can access the mount remotely to lower the tire? If so, what length did you get? Any other parts required or recommended. Did you install this yourself, it looks like it just bolted to a cross member.

Thanks for letting me pester you for all of the details!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

Hi Randy.
Yes, we should have the same bolt pattern on the crossmember. In fact, I used the same one on a Seneca before installing it on the Dynamax.
I did purchase the tube that connects to it for cranking it up and down but I still have to crawl under to do so. I figured I’m going to need to be under there to get it out any way. I carry a mat to drop it on to so I can drag it out on the mat.
I had a local metal fabricator make a bracket to bolt the hoist to. Then the bracket is bolted to the crossmember.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info. I’m glad to help.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Hi Randy.
Yes, we should have the same bolt pattern on the crossmember. In fact, I used the same one on a Seneca before installing it on the Dynamax.
I did purchase the tube that connects to it for cranking it up and down but I still have to crawl under to do so. I figured I’m going to need to be under there to get it out any way. I carry a mat to drop it on to so I can drag it out on the mat.
I had a local metal fabricator make a bracket to bolt the hoist to. Then the bracket is bolted to the crossmember.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info. I’m glad to help.
Did you use the Troy unit, if so, what part number? I see a bunch of places selling the Lippert winch but its only rated to 150 lbs. That should be enough but I'm wondering if the Troy unit is heavier duty? Thanks

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 04-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	200861Randy. Here’s exactly what I purchased.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks Andy!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #6

Your welcome. Hey, anyone that’s looking for a spare wheel I have two front and two rear if you are interested. Just check my classified ad or PM me.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

I'm doing a little more navel gazing on the spare tire mount. I can do the under frame mount with the spare tire winch, but I've also done more studying on the Roadmaster system that mounts to your rear receiver. Their unit is designed to go into a 2" receiver and it makes it really easy to lower and raise the spare tire without getting under the rig. The $600 price tag seems a bit rich but it does appear to be made very sturdy.

Once you install this you can still tow but it reduces your capacity to 10,000 lbs and 400 lbs tongue weight (because its 2"). OK for flat towing but not for the larger trailers I tow. Here is what I'm thinking.

The DX3 hitch has tons of open space above it behind the rear cap. I believe I can very securely weld a 2" receiver tube on top of the 3" hitch tube. I will have to cut a 2x2 notch out of the rear cap directly above the 3" tube to get the hitch back at max height. I would install the tire carrier device in the 2" top tube which would leave my 3" hitch untouched and I would still have the 20,000/2,000 towing capacity. The spare tire/wheel/carrier combined weighs about 200 lbs, so minimal impact on tongue weight, I never go over 1,000 lbs anyways. This would only move the tire carrier 2" higher. I can get a Harley spare tire cover to fit the 22.5 tire. Thoughts?

Folks, I understand some people don't want spare tires and prefer to wait for roadside assistance. I don't because I have had issues on turnpikes back East where the tire company can't legally work on your rig unless you get it off of the turnpike, and out West where I live or driving the Alcan to Alaska, you may not have cell coverage and if you can find roadside assist that will respond, it could take a full day. They will also charge you an arm and leg for a new tire/wheel if they can even find one to match your set. I also carry everything else I need to change the flat and I have done it on large truck tires before. It really not that hard if you know how to do it.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

Custom built this one that is independent of the 3" receiver tube. The carrier frame sits above the 3" receiver and uses the current holes on each side of the hitch housing to attach to the rig. Tire weight rests between the tubes on the carrier framing, which seems like a good idea for stability, and is a roll-on-roll-off type application.

As you can see, I tow flat so tongue weight not an issue. Did not have to cut into the rear cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5348 (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	202579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5347 (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	202581  
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post
Custom built this one that is independent of the 3" receiver tube. The carrier frame sits above the 3" receiver and uses the current holes on each side of the hitch housing to attach to the rig. Tire weight rests between the tubes on the carrier framing, which seems like a good idea for stability, and is a roll-on-roll-off type application.

As you can see, I tow flat so tongue weight not an issue. Did not have to cut into the rear cap.
I like the concept. Seems like a solid mount and you don't need to spend $600 on the Roadmaster device.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"

Tags
mount, tire