Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
Gmb

Speed sensor failure

We have a 2020 Isata on a 2018 Mercedes Sprinter with another failed speed sensor. We had it repaired in June. That one failed after 2000 miles. Had it repaired again with the new style under a recall. It failed again after driving 1500 miles. The last failure was not a result of rain. Has anyone else had a failure of the new and improved speed sensor?
Gmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Gmb

Speed sensor failure

We have a 2020 Dynamax Isata 3 on a 2018 Sprinter. We had 2 speed sensor failures before a new improved one was installed under a recall. The new one failed after driving 1500 miles. Just wondering if anyone else had a failure of the new part after the recall. Needless to say this is really frustrating, especially when you have to drive 2000 miles without cruise control.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:19 PM   #3

I have about 12K miles on my 2019 RW (2018 chassis) and have been sitting on the recall notice, I should probably schedule it. What happens when one fails?
acoxFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
DBM

I also have a 2019 ( 2018 chassis ) I3. If we are talking the rear wheel speed sensors with the recall notice, I actually have my RV in the Mercedes Benz dealer today getting these replaced.
Mine never failed that I know of. My guess is that you would likely just get a warning light on the dash saying something is wrong. I also think that these sensors might be associated with the anti-lock brake system.
I had considered ignoring the recall, but finally decided to schedule an appointment and just get it taken care of.
All the best, Dean
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
Gmb

Mercedes speed sensor

When a speed sensor fails, the check engine light, abs light, eps light all come on. In addition the cruise control no longer works. There are other more serious issues that might occur like the accelerator sticking. The failure is reportedly caused by moisture. The first failure occurred while driving in heavy rain. The failure after the recall fix occurred after we had driven about 1000 miles on dry roads. The 2 failures we have had occurred while traveling and it is difficult to find a Sprinter dealer who will fix it. Driving a motor home on the interstate without cruise is extremely tiring. We are trying to decide if we want to keep it or sell it and buy something on a non Mercedes chassis.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #6

I guess the days of attaching one end of the speedo cable to the tranny and the other to the speedometer are over.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #7
hhl

I just had recall done at Mercedes dealer. Tech said that he works on all sprinter brands of class C motorhomes to inspect if work needs to be done for the recall. He stated (his words) because the sway is way more pronounced compared to a sprinter van he reroutes wire to sensor to reduce stress on wire harness.
My Isata 3 was inspected and no recall work needed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I guess the days of attaching one end of the speedo cable to the tranny and the other to the speedometer are over.

Wheel speed sensors are installed to support things like stability control, anti-lock braking and traction control. They allow the vehicle computer to know how fast each and every wheel is going so it can provide brake input at a particular wheel, or limit power by retarding timing or trimming fuel.

We've killed a couple of these sensors on my wife's JKU and only problem it has is ABS light/disable until it gets fixed/replaced.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote