Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

steering woes

I've had steering problems with my 30' Isata 5. It seems to drift all over the road. Its only 5 months old so I thought I would take it to a Ram dealer and get the alignment looked at under the warrenty. Well good luck trying to find a dealer that will look at a 5500. I've called every dealer in my area and no one has the equipment to handle it. What a joke. Hope nothing else goes wrong with it.
1109murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #2

You might have to take it to a truck center, just call and have them reimburse you if under warranty. They do big motor homes like Berks. I would guess it's a try, good luck.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

I see you live in New Jersey. I had the same problem, no dealer would touch it. Did you buy it from Dylan's? After 2 1/2 months of pulling teeth and ultimately hiring an attorney FCA had Vann dodge look at my driveline vibration, The dealer confirmed there is a problem with the rear. That was back in April... nothing has been fixed yet [emoji58]

For an alignment you're going to have to take it to a Big truck shop like Budds. I had and alignment issue with my old Jayco and all I had to do was call Jayco direct. They contacted a shop in Vineland, arranged and paid for the alignment no questions asked. Not sure if FCA or Dynamax would do the same. Based on my experience I'm going to say no...
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1109murphy View Post
I've had steering problems with my 30' Isata 5. It seems to drift all over the road. Its only 5 months old so I thought I would take it to a Ram dealer and get the alignment looked at under the warrenty. Well good luck trying to find a dealer that will look at a 5500. I've called every dealer in my area and no one has the equipment to handle it. What a joke. Hope nothing else goes wrong with it.

Please tell us you vehicles weight and your tire pressures. That is a good place to start.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

My 3500 dually had tire wear problems. Took it to a truck alignment shop who had a 'pit' alignment setup. Fixed it right up. Still solid 50,000 miles later.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

It's not really " a joke" that most ram dealers are not equipped to handle a 5500, after a 30 foot by 13 foot box has been stuck on the top.

Heck, I've had a check engine light on since the day I drove it home. I just clear it and keep going.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It's not really " a joke" that most ram dealers are not equipped to handle a 5500, after a 30 foot by 13 foot box has been stuck on the top.

Heck, I've had a check engine light on since the day I drove it home. I just clear it and keep going.
I didn’t pay attention but don’t they have box trucks or other large configurations attached to the 5500? What else is the 5500 used for?
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #8

steering woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I didn’t pay attention but don’t they have box trucks or other large configurations attached to the 5500? What else is the 5500 used for?

Flat beds, tow trucks and utility trucks mostly. The utility trucks are pretty damn big, buckets up top. I originally called the dealers that sell the chassis looking for service, Vann dodge was one of them but originally they turned me away. Some have outside lifts, not many. Even checked with Penske, they have freightliner and Ram in the same complex... no go. Real pain in the ass.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Check Engine Light

I thought I would respond to the check engine light on the Series 4. I bought my Series 4 at the end of July. I currently have about 6000 miles on it and the the fuel cap light came on and check engine light came on. I found a Ford dealer in Kansas City that could look at it. After 4 days they say it is fixed. Found fuel filler clamp missing (Dynamax issue) and two evap valves were bad. So far so good but we shall see, heading on a 5000 mile trip.
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnapapartsguy View Post
I thought I would respond to the check engine light on the Series 4. I bought my Series 4 at the end of July. I currently have about 6000 miles on it and the the fuel cap light came on and check engine light came on. I found a Ford dealer in Kansas City that could look at it. After 4 days they say it is fixed. Found fuel filler clamp missing (Dynamax issue) and two evap valves were bad. So far so good but we shall see, heading on a 5000 mile trip.
I managed to convince one dealer to replace the purge valve on mine. There is a tsb on it.
Was good for a few weeks, then back on.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #11

They can. But no other uplifting is as obtrusive as a moho. Most other installations, you can still access the frame rails without too much trouble.
When I was at ford, I had an 18k hoist, so F550 with a small box was my limit.
Dealers may sell the big trucks, but may not be able to work on them. ( sounds like the same conversation I had with every dealer about working on my isata. )
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Commercial Member

We're currently working with FCA to get a list of all the facilities that can handle the 5500. We actually don't get a lot of complaints, but the ones we do, seem to be over and over. (not in a nagging way, just certain pockets). And as always, we try to accommodate the easiest method, so if it needs to be a truck center, that can be done and we will reimburse.

If they carry the 5500, they are supposed to service it. If they do not, then they need to sublet to a shop that can, or tell FCA how they are going to upgrade their facilities. We have escalated things to Mopar Service and after some setbacks, we got to the right person who has been pretty good.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

Check Engine Light

I will let you know if mine is "fixed" I do have a list of parts replaced. They say they did a full smoke test, but the jury is out.
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I managed to convince one dealer to replace the purge valve on mine. There is a tsb on it.
Was good for a few weeks, then back on.
As a side note...my Jeep kept having and evaporator light come on. They say fuel cap...but mine is cap-less. Reset, thinking maybe the door was left open. Came back on no matter ho many times I reset. Then I lost connection with the TPMS sensor...light came on.

Finally took it in...no issues other than a mouse had chewed into the harness that fed both of those systems. $200 later and about $1.25 in materials, we were back in business.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote