Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Step Issue

My 2020 Isata 3 steps will not extend. Orange light comes on but step does not extend. Thoughts?

Battchief
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

I ran thru all of Kwikee testing instructions, ruling out power, door switch, disconnect switch and ignition switch as possible culprits. The step light works, grounding and power supply are all good. This leaves either the controller or motor as possible sources. I lean towards controller since there is no increased draw when door opened but I will verify tomorrow if motor is working. Well within 2 year warranty but would have expected longer service life. Unfortunately, nearest Dynamax dealer is 180 miles away unless they want to send me the parts.

Battchief
Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

My bet is the controller also. There have been several posts lately on bad controllers. Kwikee is part of LCI. They have several dealers in the area. You can search by zip code.

https://www.lci1.com/dealer-locator

Also, any Forest River dealer can help you with those steps. Probably one of the most universal parts on any RV and Kwikee is probably the most common.
Call your service contact at Dynamax and get a nearby Forest River dealer.

https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

As usual, many thanks. I will contact one on the list.

Battchief
Old 12-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
My bet is the controller also. There have been several posts lately on bad controllers. Kwikee is part of LCI. They have several dealers in the area. You can search by zip code.

https://www.lci1.com/dealer-locator

Also, any Forest River dealer can help you with those steps. Probably one of the most universal parts on any RV and Kwikee is probably the most common.
Call your service contact at Dynamax and get a nearby Forest River dealer.

https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
I agree. BTDT too. Controllers are available on Amazon and pretty well plug and play. #1 culprit for killing them and the step transmission, is jumping on the step before its has finished every last mm of movement. Kids tend to dive out the door as soon as they open it and if a foot touches that step before its completed its cycle, that's the end of the controller and/or the transmission.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #6

As always, I appreciate the information and advice. I contacted LCI and they gave me aa case number immediately. As you guys had mentioned, they advised that I could take to any of the repair centers on their list. They asked for Date of Manufacture, my address, pic of step assembly label and pic of motor assembly label. After conducting their recommended 4-way connector test the other day, I left the connector disconnected. I don't like leaving bad acting electrical devices energized. I noticed on the LCI website, a considerable number of technical support files. I read most of them. One that interested me in particular was LOCKED ROTOR STATE TEST FOR POWER GEARŪ CONTROL BOXES. Since it referenced the same owner's manual (#888) that came with the unit, I saw know reason not to try this procedure. Here is what it says:

Locked Rotor State
The control box provides operational power to start, stop and reverse the motor. Current sensing determines the end-of-cycle.
A secondary time-out feature stops the motor in the event that the Step Control Box does not reach and sustain the current limit.
After the Step Control current limits, or times out, the Step Control will electrically lock the motor’s rotor. The Step Control Box will remain in the Locked Rotor State until the next Step Control actuation signal conditions are met.

Unlocking the Step Control Box From the Locked Rotor State
1. Unplug the 2-step Control plug from the motor.
2. Verify the Step Control Box's lockout switch is in the correct position (no voltage on the white wire) for
this test. Verify voltage status by checking the white wire at the 4-way connector for voltage. If there is
voltage, move the switch to the other position and recheck.
3. Using a voltmeter set on DC Voltage, check for voltage on the 2-pin Step Control plug that was
unplugged in step 1. There will be voltage on the red lead and ground on the yellow lead during Step
Extension (door open). This condition is reversed on Step Retraction (door closed).
4. Cycle the entry door open and closed a minimum of six cycles, pausing 3-5 seconds between each
complete cycle. This gives the step control internal relays enough time to reset.

5. When voltage is detected on the 2-pin motor plug, the Step Control Box is now out of the Locked Rotor
State. Plug the 2-pin Step Control plug back into the motor.
If after the six cycles there is still no voltage detected on the 2-pin connector, replace the Step Control Box.

This morning I plugged the 4-way connector back together. When I opened the door, the step light came on but step did not extend. Having already verified that the controller was receiving power and all switches and disconnects were operating properly, I just opened and closed the screen door as described in item 4 above. Open for 5 seconds, closed for 5 seconds. On the 4th cycle, the step extended and has been operating normally ever since. I did have some caked on mud on one side of the slide from the trip we just finished so my best guess is that there was increased resistance when step was trying to activate causing the Locked Rotor State. Opening and closing the door as described reset the controller. We will see if that was the issue. In the interim I am cleaning the assembly thoroughly and lubing the slides and pivot points with Kwik Lube.

Battchief
Old 12-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Congrats on the fix! It does give you a sense of accomplishment to figure things out yourself and then you can tell others that have a similar issue.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #8

I live in the sticks and have a minimum of 2-1/2 miles of dirt road to drive. The steps on my Isata 3 require constant attention. I clean and lubricate with a dry lube every single time I travel or else they won't work properly.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #9

Thanks Battchief for the reason why my step sometimes will not extend. Now I know why. I have accidentally learned to open and close the screen door several times to get it to open. I also dry lube after every trip or when necessary.