Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

Steps won't stay out

I have a 2019 Dynamax Dynaquest. All of the sudden the steps won't stay out. They open and close with the door and randomly we hear them going in and out at other times. I've tried both the button by the door and on the panel. The ignition is off and the keys are out. Any ideas??
Thanks.
julie_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

check the maniac switch on door see iff it is loose or out of alignment or broke wires
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Not sure if "maniac" was intended....which may be appropriate in this case, but in case not, I would check the "Magnetic" switch on the door.

There is a small rectangle on the screen door frame and there should be a relatively matching on on the jamb side. Those tell the steps to open/close.

Though...if you lock them out, they should stay out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

If the steps are going out and back in with the door then the door switch is working. It takes a 12 volt (logic) input to the step controller to keep the steps out with the door closed. The step switch typically supplies the 12 volts when on. If the 12 volts is present it sounds as though the controller or the wiring to it is suspect.

Additional: I make this assumption because the door switch is a normally open switch (door open=switch open). This is applicable to Kwikee steps. If the steps are not Kwikee; all bets off.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Posting this picture on behalf of Julie. She is travelling with the kids in the motorhome, I'm back at home.

This wire is under the steps and does not connect to anything. Any suggestions as to what it is intended for?

Thanks,
Arnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stepwire.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	214527  
Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #6

Mine would open while driving. We changed the motor, advised by a MH dealer that was the problem, wound up just being the magnetic sensor. I read where lots of people had the same problem and put in a toggle switch bypassing the magnetic switch. Worked great just have to remember to flip the switch before stepping out.
RonGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Door magnetic switch

Had the same thing happen to me on a Winnebago. Turned out to be a loose wire on the magnetic door switch

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGilbert View Post
Mine would open while driving. We changed the motor, advised by a MH dealer that was the problem, wound up just being the magnetic sensor. I read where lots of people had the same problem and put in a toggle switch bypassing the magnetic switch. Worked great just have to remember to flip the switch before stepping out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINSEAST View Post
Had the same thing happen to me on a Winnebago. Turned out to be a loose wire on the magnetic door switch
Both of these issues deal with the steps not staying retracted. The OP's issue is the steps will not stay extended.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	1446
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	214634