Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Steps won't stay retracted

I am a new dynamax isata 3 owner. Purchased a used 1 1/2 year old dynamax last fall. Love it except one strange problem. With the coach door closed and locked when going over a bump in the road the stair will extend and then retract. I don't think it is a loose wire because when stopped if I put pressure from the outside on the closed door the stairs will extend. Release the pressure and they will retract. Anyone have any ideas?
Bruce L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Sounds like an issue with the contacts on the door and door frame. Try cleaning them and covering with some dielectric grease.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #3

There is a proximity switch on the door jam held on with double back tape that can get bumped loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3277.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	246096  
Old 01-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
There is a proximity switch on the door jam held on with double back tape that can get bumped loose.
And if you'll notice the Black wire shield in the photo, you might want to check those connections. My Isata 3 had a loose butt connection causing my steps to open and close at will.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the input - I will try these suggestions and hopefully problem solved. What bothered me most was that the stairs would extend when I put pressure on the outside of the door. And it does not take much pressure to make them extend. I would have thought that outside pressure would cause the proximity switch to come into closer contact and yet the exact opposite happens - the stairs extend.

Again, I'll try these suggestions and see what happens.

THANKS
Old 01-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

It depends on where the switch is relative to it's mate on the door frame. I'm guessing you fix this inside of 5 minutes! I hope so, and let us know. You'll find that ownership pride and joy is somewhat proportional to your ability to handyman your way through most issues. Good luck and enjoy your awesome MH.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

I was just outside looking at what happens as the screen door is closed.

Screed door open and the steps are extended. As the screen door is closed and approximately 1/2" from proximity switch the steps retract. As I keep closing the screen door to the point where the proximity switch and the sensor on the screen door overlap the steps extend. Strange!

Another thing I noticed. The proximity sensor on the frame is held to the frame with two screws which extend into the foam seal by about 1/4". As these contact the closing screen door could they be shorting out something?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Here’s a test you can try.....

Assuming the two components ARE in line with each other when the screen door is closed (as the system is designed) ....see if the same problem occurs IF you remove the 2 screws on the frame sensor, and position it by using double sided tape.

Not sure if it proves anything, but it’s a simple test.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

The object on the screen door is not a sensor it is just a magnet. The object on the door jamb is a switch that closes (with magnet close proximity) when the screen door is closed and supplies a ground to the steps controller. This is assuming your steps are Kwikee.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #10

I think I have the problem resolved although I really don't complete understand why. Evidently, if the magnet on the screen door goes past the face of the sensor on the frame the circuit opens and the door extends. I simply placed a shim between the sensor and the door frame. So far seems to work - time will tell.

Thanks for all of your responses - really like this forum!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way. Is that the way it came installed from the manufacture?
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #12

I bought the unit used - so I can't be sure but I think that is the way it was installed at the manufacturer.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

My stairs also went in and out as a result of bumps. I solved the issue by installing a simple rocker switch that turns off the power to the stairs whenever we are traveling. Must remember however to turn on power when always first stopping so that the stairs extend....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps