Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Stopping the Jounce, Bounce, Pitch and Roll

These items will be on my agenda when i get back state side to rectify the issues I am seeing with the bucking and rolling...will try one at a time to see how much it alleviates the pitching tendency...and will probably add a steering stabilizer as well...and proper seats with two arm rest...this should fix my quarter million dollar+ RV where it is MUCH safer and pleasurable to drive...I thought the $120k Sport Chassis was expensive!...
https://www.etrailer.com/swaybars-20...htliner_M2.htm
https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2017_Freightliner_M2.htm
__________________

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 475
I am putting a CLASS suspension on mine. You can read more on their website but before you do be warned that this thing runs $8K. Mine is going to be installed next month. They are currently engineering the mounts for the 23K axle on the DX3/Force HD. This system solves for all those things by fixing the rear end where all the weight is. The other bonus is the ability to raise the rear axle 3Ē (which means more than 6Ē at the hitch) to enter driveways. Lmk if you want contact info for the rep.
https://liquidspring.com/
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529760077.709028.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	176930
__________________

steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
shultz01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
These items will be on my agenda when i get back state side to rectify the issues I am seeing with the bucking and rolling...will try one at a time to see how much it alleviates the pitching tendency...and will probably add a steering stabilizer as well...and proper seats with two arm rest...this should fix my quarter million dollar+ RV where it is MUCH safer and pleasurable to drive...I thought the $120k Sport Chassis was expensive!...
https://www.etrailer.com/swaybars-20...htliner_M2.htm
https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2017_Freightliner_M2.htm
Wondering if the rear one would decrease the drop of the rear when air is dumped to level the rig?
__________________
Andy & Debbie Shultz
Harrisburg, PA
2018 Force HD 37TS
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Wondering if the rear one would decrease the drop of the rear when air is dumped to level the rig?
It will drop but probably only 2-3' compared to the normal 5" they drop...

Those dumps were actually designed for hooking and unhooking trailers...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Consumer of Space
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 249
That CLASS suspension looks interesting. I think the improvement from leaf sprung to CLASS would be much more noticeable than air to class. How did you find out about it? Pleas let us know how it goes.
__________________
-----------------------------
2018 Dynamax Force HD 37BH
sconnors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: LaGrange,Ga
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I am putting a CLASS suspension on mine. You can read more on their website but before you do be warned that this thing runs $8K. Mine is going to be installed next month. They are currently engineering the mounts for the 23K axle on the DX3/Force HD. This system solves for all those things by fixing the rear end where all the weight is. The other bonus is the ability to raise the rear axle 3Ē (which means more than 6Ē at the hitch) to enter driveways. Lmk if you want contact info for the rep.
https://liquidspring.com/
Attachment 176930
Looking at LS for a Phoenix cruiser.. or concord.. my concern is how many censors an what happens in a failure.. it adjust to a stiffer ride for handling but with stiffer Iíd think a harder ride.. please keep us updated on your experience
Thanks
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 20
I donít get it, you have to improve the suspension on late Force HD an DX3? Is the ride and handling that bad?
Hsrvtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsrvtime View Post
I donít get it, you have to improve the suspension on late Force HD an DX3? Is the ride and handling that bad?
I've only driven my 2018 DX3 37 TS a bit over 600 miles so far, and I am pretty happy with the handling.
__________________
John and Susan Beard
2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS
2015 Jeep Rubicon Toad
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsrvtime View Post
I donít get it, you have to improve the suspension on late Force HD an DX3? Is the ride and handling that bad?
Yes the 2018 XL I have just purchased, has a very bouncy pitching suspension, and also the steering hunts and tracks the road bed severely, then add only one arm rest onto the seat, it makes for a FULL time job driving the beast, to the point you can't even drink coffee comfortably while driving...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,767
Maybe it's just me, but I can't justify putting that much money into something that cost a ton to begin with. Guess everyone has their own preferences, so ya do what feels right.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
Retired Army Paratrooper
 
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Enterprise Alabama
Posts: 726
I have driven mine over 12000 miles and I donít see any of these problems your talking about. However I do know that everyone does have a different feel for their rig and the way it drives. Just saying mine drives great.
__________________
Dennis & Zoleta
Retired US Army
Force 37BHHD
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Thats great to hear, hope after a few more thousand dollars mine will handled well also...drove a Freightliner Sportchassis M2 106 over 100,000 miles pulling a Toy Hauler and Jeep behind toy hauler, it drove much better and didn't bounce like the M2 112...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can't justify putting that much money into something that cost a ton to begin with. Guess everyone has their own preferences, so ya do what feels right.
X2. You spend all that money for the prime item and you have to spend thousands more to get decent drivability?
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
ETF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 171
Steverkemp. I'll be interested to hear how your mods affect the drivability.

I only have a few hundred miles on mine so far but the real test will come on our trip to Colorado this summer and fall.

In previous years I drove the Forester up there and it was terrible. You had to drive and steer every foot of the 2400 miles coming and going and ended up pretty tired and sore. It was no fun at all. The DX3 is much, much better. It tracks better, doesn't wallow around and doesn't get pushed around by semis as much and just seems like a much steadier rig but only time will tell.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETF View Post
Steverkemp. I'll be interested to hear how your mods affect the drivability.

I only have a few hundred miles on mine so far but the real test will come on our trip to Colorado this summer and fall.

In previous years I drove the Forester up there and it was terrible. You had to drive and steer every foot of the 2400 miles coming and going and ended up pretty tired and sore. It was no fun at all. The DX3 is much, much better. It tracks better, doesn't wallow around and doesn't get pushed around by semis as much and just seems like a much steadier rig but only time will tell.
That's pretty much my experience. I enjoyed driving my DX3 home from Boise.
__________________
John and Susan Beard
2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS
2015 Jeep Rubicon Toad
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Yes the 2018 XL I have just purchased, has a very bouncy pitching suspension, and also the steering hunts and tracks the road bed severely, then add only one arm rest onto the seat, it makes for a FULL time job driving the beast, to the point you can't even drink coffee comfortably while driving...
Just out of curiosity, have you driven another XL to see if it drives the same? I just can't believe that you would have to dump thousands into the suspension unless something is wrong.

My point is, I'm afraid that your add'l swaybar and stuff will mask the true problem and not actually cure it.

I'd be interested in knowing if another XL drives the same.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you driven another XL to see if it drives the same? I just can't believe that you would have to dump thousands into the suspension unless something is wrong.

My point is, I'm afraid that your add'l swaybar and stuff will mask the true problem and not actually cure it.

I'd be interested in knowing if another XL drives the same.

Mark
No, I haven't Mark, but I drove a M2 106 100k miles that was steady, steered and tracked excellent...driving another one is not going to fix the issues I have, just going to fix what should have already been fix and the driveline vibrations and noise from 60-65 are horrendous...

The finger pointing exercise has already began between Dynamax and the Dealer, Dynamax basically said they have nothing to do with it, it's Freightliner and my problem not theirs...lol...we'll see how they respond, cheap advertisement to repair it for me and make me happy, but I guess they don't care about one XL customer thats not happy with their rig...even though it has serious issues with driving, pitching, rolling, steering, loud driveline noise, and serious vibrations from driveline...lol...they'll wish they had, because I am documenting everything and it will be on every forum from here to infinity...and to add, every product review site known to man...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
No, I haven't Mark, but I drove a M2 106 100k miles that was steady, steered and tracked excellent...driving another one is not going to fix the issues I have, just going to fix what should have already been fix and the driveline vibrations and noise from 60-65 are horrendous...
.
I think you might have misunderstood why I said drive another. Dynamax is saying it's Freightliner's fault, it might be a poor design.

If you drive another XL and it drives the same, then you know it's a design problem. If you drive another XL and it drives the way it should, then you know your particular unit has an issue.

I say that because what if you dump thousands of dollars into suspension parts and it turns out it's just the way the XL drives.

Just sayin'


Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 491
Hood vibrates to the extreem as well, like a small dish forms in the hood when under power and this small deformation vibrates like a cement vibrator and it is very distracting for the driver...

I am thinking either driveline or crankshaft balancer one or the other, but the DRONE is horrendous at 60-65 mph when the engine starts pulling up a hill or even a slight incline, extremely noisy from drivers seat...could also be a faulty engine mount?

I don't think this standard or optional...lol...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
I have a 2018 DX3 that I picked up in January. From the dealer, the rear of the coach is almost 2 inches lower than the front measured at the underside of the frame rails, and it is horrible. It drifts, slides, moves, all over the road. You can literally be going straight and level, and the front end darts to the side. When you correct, it over corrects, and you go through a cycle of decreasing corrections to get it calm again.

It moves when a yugo goes past, much less a semi. This is my second coach on this chassis, the previous one being a 2012 Jayco Embark. The Jayco was rock solid. Never moved, tracked straight, it was a pleasure to drive.

This new DX3 is a nightmare, especially towing. I have had discussions with the dealer, and with Freightliner, and it is currently at a Freightliner service center.

Initially, they just "adjusted" the rear ride height to factory spec by adjusting the bags. I am trying to get details of what "factory spec" is.

I have already tried adjusting the bags to level the coach, that created a much worst situation because it added bounce.

We will see what the service center ultimately comes up with.

It is hard for me to understand how 2 coaches on the same chassis can be so different, and it seems that there are people experiencing my issues, and people with no issues on current year DX3's.

I want a solution, and an explanation, instead of everyone pointing to the other guy.

Scott
__________________

Stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.


×