Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Surge protector

Has anyone used the Hughes watchdog protector and if so what is your opinion?
duneviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

I use one

I use the hughes watchdog 50 amp portable does not have ems but i like it. Handy to blue tooth to phone and see amps and volts.
Meben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

I've got one, seems to work fine. The bluetooth is nice.

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

I have the 50 amp watchdog EMS, hardwired version, haven't had any issues but only been installed sine late July. I have it communicating through RV Whisper so I get alerts via text and email when and if there is any issue. Note, there is a 4 second delay between the time you plug into shore power and when you get solid connection. I can actually hear when the watchdog makes the connection as there is an audible click.
The Watchdog uses a "fusible link" that will burn out if it is hit with a huge spike so I would suggest having a spare on hand.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:28 AM   #5

I have a portable Hughes 30 Amp EPO connected as I prepare for an upcoming trip. It’s working well with my RVWhisper connected to the WiFiRanger that’s connected to my home WiFi.

My power connection is inside the garage, and when I close the door, it loses connection to the Whisper. But that’s a good thing as I confirmed the text and email notifications do work.

I also have spare surge modules on hand in the event that I get a hit.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #6

I bought a 50 amp WatchDog a few months ago when I picked up a new fifth wheel. After a lot of research and comparing other similar products, the WatchDog had the best features and reviews for the money.

Having bluetooth connectivity to the box is nice, but I really don't use it much because its basic power information you get with the downloadable phone app and it is limited to the range of bluetooth.

What I really liked about it is if you encounter a large surge, the internal spike/surge module can easily be replaced with the purchase of another one, so you don't need to buy a new WatchDog. I also liked that I can upgrade and use it with RVWhisper to monitor power and have it send me texts to my phone when power is out at the campsite, or if other power conditions occur, no matter how far away I am from the RV. I can also add RVWhisper sensors to monitor the inside temperatures of the RV if power goes out (if you travel with pets) and also send texts.

I have yet to find any other power protection products that have these features.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #7

I have the 50 amp portable Bluetooth one as well. I also have RVWhisper and being able to monitor from anywhere/get notified when there is a problem is great.
LSLBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLBlues View Post
I have the 50 amp portable Bluetooth one as well. I also have RVWhisper and being able to monitor from anywhere/get notified when there is a problem is great.
Have you added any of the RVWhisper sensors to your RV? We were originally looking at another separate temperature sensor and subscription service, but after finding out about RVWhisper and it working with the WatchDog, we're going to purchase and subscribe. I really like that they also offer temp and other sensors that monitors what's going on in and outside the RV.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #9

I have 2 temp sensors, integration with my Bluetooth Seelevel, door opener, and 12V battery sensor. The Seelevel integration is nice. I have it text me at gray/black 70%, me and my wife at 85%, and then texts, emails, to everyone at 90%.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #10

Great information, thank you everyone. I will be ordering one tonight.
duneviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneviper View Post
Great information, thank you everyone. I will be ordering one tonight.
I got mine at Campingworld online. It was the lowest price at the time with a 10 percent online coupon. I think they still have the 10 percent discount you can apply to the final cost. I think i paid around $265.00.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #12

Power Off

Just as a side note if you do use or get the RV Whisper and integrate the Hughes Watchdog into RV Whisper insure RV Whisper is powered from the DC side of your RV not the AC side, if the Watchdog dumps power to the RV well lets just say your not going to get any alerts. I had a duh moment about this. If you all have figured this out your all steps ahead of me.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #13

I bought a 12V UPS on Amazon and power my router, RVWhisper, etc. all from the 12V UPS. It will run my electronics for about 12 hours. I think it was $40.