Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #1

Television Question

We are at a full hook up site with cable tv. When we try watching the outside tv and the inside tv at the same time the outside tv becomes a digitized screen and not watchable but the inside tv is fine. If I turn off the inside tv the outside tv is fine.
So the inside is always watchable even with both on.
The outside is only watchable by itself.

What would cause this?
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Does your Dynamax have what's called the HDMI Matrix system?

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I’m going to propose you have some cheap, loose, or defective splitter in the system somewhere, but I’ll wait to see what others suggest.

BTW…..if you’re on cable, I’m assuming you’ve got the booster button in the OFF position.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Is the antenna booster off?
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Yes antenna booster is off.

Yes we do have a CONNEXX HDMI 4x1 splitter.

I check all the connections everything seems fine. Do splitters go bad?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

That 4 way splitter means that only 1/4 of the original signal is making it to your TV. Cable losses can add to this. Try getting a female - female coupler and bypassing the splitter to see if your picture improves.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
That 4 way splitter means that only 1/4 of the original signal is making it to your TV. Cable losses can add to this. Try getting a female - female coupler and bypassing the splitter to see if your picture improves.
The OP already stated the outside reception is fine if it’s the only TV turned ON.
It’s only “not watchable” when the inside TV is ON at the same time……2 TVs sharing the same source.

A female to female coupler would bypass the splitter, but he’d only be able to run one TV at a time……which the OP can already do.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #8

Have you tried switching the splitter ports around?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

Yes we do have a CONNEXX HDMI 4x1 splitter.

if this is correct 4x1 you have the wrong splitter for what you are trying to do.

Before we get to far, is the the feed to the TV's Coax or HDMI? If HDMI the below applies, if coax we need to go in a different direction to trouble shoot.

4x1 allows four inputs and 1 output. to do what you want you need a 1x4 one input 4 out put. the first number of a splitter is always the inputs.

4x1 is less expensive and allows multiple sources in all out put to tv so it makes sense that FR used it, but it will not support two tv's playing at same time.

you can get different HDMI combos depending on need, how many inputs are really used? to be safe a 4x4 might solve your problem and still accept what is currently plugged in?

next question is how does the coax actually get into the HDMI splitter? you would also have to have a coax to HDMI converter prior to the HDMI splitter.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #10

I am an IT guy and we use that same splitter at work, here is what we found

If this is the same splitter I am seeing online, its a flat metal box with 1 input and 3 outputs. Those splitters are OK, but not super great. They do in fact reduce the signal quality enough that when we have put on 2 or 3rd TVs it will do exactly what you are claiming. So you have to improve the signal. First don't use any super cheap thin HDMI cables, however, your runs are not 25ft, and ours are. We had to use very high end cables that are as thick as my middle finger to do the 25ft runs or greater, and after 50ft you have to goto digital COAX or Cat 6 ethernet and those are special boxes.

My suggestion is get a better HDMI splitter first, that has built in amplification. One way to test my theory is get a Female to Female HDMI coupler, this allows you to put HDMI cables, end to end, a few dollars at Walmart, and jump over the splitter and go straight to the outside TV and see if the signal is clear. If you can get a clear signal on any of the TVs doing this, then the splitter is the problem. I have done AV and computers now for 25 years and about 80% of the problems we have with HDMI is signal strength but we are doing many boardrooms with 25-50ft runs. Basically you just have to go high end on everything if you are going beyond the 6ft behind the TV basics that most people do.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
If this is the same splitter I am seeing online, its a flat metal box with 1 input and 3 outputs. Those splitters are OK, but not super great. They do in fact reduce the signal quality enough that when we have put on 2 or 3rd TVs it will do exactly what you are claiming. So you have to improve the signal. First don't use any super cheap thin HDMI cables, however, your runs are not 25ft, and ours are. We had to use very high end cables that are as thick as my middle finger to do the 25ft runs or greater, and after 50ft you have to goto digital COAX or Cat 6 ethernet and those are special boxes.

My suggestion is get a better HDMI splitter first, that has built in amplification. One way to test my theory is get a Female to Female HDMI coupler, this allows you to put HDMI cables, end to end, a few dollars at Walmart, and jump over the splitter and go straight to the outside TV and see if the signal is clear. If you can get a clear signal on any of the TVs doing this, then the splitter is the problem. I have done AV and computers now for 25 years and about 80% of the problems we have with HDMI is signal strength but we are doing many boardrooms with 25-50ft runs. Basically you just have to go high end on everything if you are going beyond the 6ft behind the TV basics that most people do.
OP already stated signal is fine, just not working on in and out TV at same time, your suggested test will do nothing and this has nothing to do with HDMI signal strength or run lengths.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 AM   #12

Not sure what type of Dynamax you have, but the newer models come with a 4X4 Matrix. That allows up to 4 inputs. On our XL I have an input for Satellite, DVD, Apple TV and I assume over the air/cable (although I have never used the air/cable selection. The Matrix allows me to send any one of those signals out to all 3 of our TV’s or I can send Satellite to one TV and play Apple TV on a different TV.

Ours is a 2021 XL. Not sure which model Dynamax started installing the 4X4 Matrix.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #13

My take on this is the matrix shouldn't have anything at all to do with this. The cableTV (coax) should not come close to any HDMI anywhere.

Just my $.02
Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
My take on this is the matrix shouldn't have anything at all to do with this. The cableTV (coax) should not come close to any HDMI anywhere.

Just my $.02
Jim
^^this is correct^^^

This issue has nothing to do with the HDMI matrix. He is not using the matrix or HDMI splitter, he i using cable over coax (unless they have some digital cable box).

The coax is likely split. Today, the Winegard booster plate has (3) connections so we have (3) home runs to the cable. Back in the day there were only two, so we split the bedroom and outside TV in most cases.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #15

The garbling of the outside television is a feature to protect your camping neighbors.

-- Chucl
Old 01-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post

Just my $.02
Jim
Not entirely accurate. Coax and HDMI are both low voltage DC, one is analog, the other is digital and both can be routed/bundled without issue. Video cable(s) won't interfere with each other.

Now if the coax or HDMI is routed in parallel next to a 120v AC wire, then it has the potential to act as an antenna and it will power couple with the magnetic field of the AC wire. This will cause some level of signal degradation and the worse situation is one of the low voltage cables (coax or HDMI) is routed next to an 120v wire and the power coupling propagates from one to the other.

Generally speaking, HDMI is less susceptible to power coupling due to its operating frequencies.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:53 AM   #17

Thanks for all the replies! I’m not much of an electronics/ media guy but I do have a little better understanding what’s going on now. I went through and checked connections and made sure my coax cables weren’t bundled with other wires and it seems to be working better. Thanks again!

Tags
question, television