Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
You would think I'd have learned by now not to start tire pressure threads.....
That'll teach ya....for a bit.

I always say "It's like Long John Silvers". Every now and then, you think...hmm, that sounds pretty good. Some fish and hush puppies and that tartar sauce. Late that night you remember why you don't eat there, but its too late. Just like this post. But you'll forget again

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #22

That is an eerily accurate analogy

Now I want some fish and hush puppies .... hmmm
Old 11-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
That is an eerily accurate analogy

Now I want some fish and hush puppies .... hmmm
I know...it does sound good. But, I have a geofence around it now, so when I drive close it plays a message i recorded after the last time. But even then I think "that doesn't really sound like me".

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I know...it does sound good. But, I have a geofence around it now, so when I drive close it plays a message i recorded after the last time. But even then I think "that doesn't really sound like me".

Not to hijack but since you brought up Long John Silvers....DW got her mom dinner there once and it smelled so good she decided to get herself some in the way back home.

Well she got to the drive through and they told her they were out of fish. 🤣🤣🤣

She did not find it humorous at all.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
In reading this post by the OP, I don't see how regular monitoring of your tires would not have found these problems before starting out. All he is saying is that he is lazy and relying on the TPMS to do his work!

If used a very good air pressure gage and checked his tires before starting out on his towing trip he would have caught this difference in tire pressure on his trailer.

On the second issue he would have found this loose valve stem valve by trying to check his air pressure before leaving on his trip!

I take the time to check my air pressure with a gage each time before we leave when towing a trailer. Both tow vehicle and trailer are checked to insure correct tire pressure a the start of the day.

This is what is called dumbing down the motoring public and not learning to do proper maintenance on their vehicles.
If I didn't add TPMS to my camper, I never would have known I got a screw in my tire in Mississippi. Got to the campground, stayed all week, checked all of my tires like I normally do and left. As soon as we started towards the highway, the tire started losing pressure. I'm assuming that I picked up the screw when I got there and the weight of the trailer on the screw kept the air from leaking out. If I didn't have TPMS, I would of gotten on the highway and headed home to Florida. It was a lot better changing the tire in the shade in a parking lot as opposed to busy I10 in the 90deg heat. So buying the TPMS / rear camera kit that links to my 2017 F250 was worth every penny. Saved me twice so far.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
TPMS has been mandatory in passenger cars since the end of 2007. There must be a reasonably good reason for that requirement.
***interestingly It was not listed on the printout when I bought the car and i could not find it anywhere in the menu options or in the manual on my main vehicle, 2015 Mazda cx-9 but I found I did have tpms - it's just a dummy light tho
James Ww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #27

Quote:
In reading this post by the OP, I don't see how regular monitoring of your tires would not have found these problems before starting out. All he is saying is that he is lazy and relying on the TPMS to do his work!

If used a very good air pressure gage and checked his tires before starting out on his towing trip he would have caught this difference in tire pressure on his trailer.

On the second issue he would have found this loose valve stem valve by trying to check his air pressure before leaving on his trip!

I take the time to check my air pressure with a gage each time before we leave when towing a trailer. Both tow vehicle and trailer are checked to insure correct tire pressure a the start of the day.

This is what is called dumbing down the motoring public and not learning to do proper maintenance on their vehicles.

So do you check your radiator temp by sticking your hand on the cap or do you use the gauge? seems kind of lazy to use a gauge when you can check things manually? LMAO. There are so many posts on the forum that make me shake my head. Someone posts how they had a good experience that saved them a headache and someone has to put their negative spin on it.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

Sounds like an opportunity for some young genius to me!
You mean someone's teenage kid, right?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #29

Quote:
First time was on a trailer tire, so would've just been more of an inconvenience. Went to leave a couple of months from harvest host and one of the trailer tires had leaked from 80 down to 50. No way I would've noticed visually and even though we only had 3 hours to drive that day something surely would've happened driving it that low. Was able to top it off, get to our destination (while watching the pressure like a hawk while driving) and pull it off and get it replaced.

More recently though my inner rear dually leaked down to 60 from 105 during a 4 day stay. At first I didn't believe it was even possible over such a short stay but I diligently grabbed my gauge and verified it was in fact low. Topped it off and kept an eye on it. Weirdly it seemed to be holding pressure finew while driving but would leak down ultra slow. Had plans to stop at a tire shop when convienent but stumbled across the culprit this morning when I went to top it off and couldn't get my chuck on. The valve core had backed out so far it was about to come out!

Needless to day both of these situations would likely have resulted in a blow out. Now sure you can manually check pressures everytime you drive but when living fulltime that seems less than optimal. The TST system has more than paid for itself at this point
Using the TST monitor is a no brainer, it works flawlesly, I should have gotten it earlier, I purchased it from Dennis & TecnoRV at the FROG ralley for our DQ & enclosed car trailer & it has provided piece of mind with real time data, I bairly look at it after "pre flight checks" & rely on the warning tone for low pressures. All RV'S should have TST monitors.
Nothing wrong with going to 10 tires & checking the pressures while on your knees if it makes you feel good but I prefer to finish my coffee while electrons are doing the job!

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
So do you check your radiator temp by sticking your hand on the cap or do you use the gauge? seems kind of lazy to use a gauge when you can check things manually? LMAO. There are so many posts on the forum that make me shake my head. Someone posts how they had a good experience that saved them a headache and someone has to put their negative spin on it.

It's their way of making excuses to not get a TPMS themselves.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You'd think they would but actual studies proved otherwise.

A major tire company with numerous company stores across the country was enlisted in the past to measure tire pressures in every car that passed through their facilities and report them to the NTSB.

The results were astounding with the AVERAGE pressures being 10% below vehicle manufacturer's door sticker level. The majority of vehicles had at least one tire under-inflated by a smaller percentage and a large number were so under-inflated they might be considered "half flat".

Ever since the demise of Full Service Gas Stations people have been severely neglecting their tires. Back in the day the attendant would check them and fill as required.

Our dealers would give every tire customer a new pressure gauge and even teach those who were unfamiliar how to use them. Many of those same people came back later with tires destroyed by having been run flat.

The TPMS mandate grew out of the Firestone/Ford issue in the late 90's.

A tragic case of several "negligent" acts.

Poor manufacturing process for the tire
Improper pressure recommendation by the vehicle manufacturer
Failure of vehicle owners to maintain recommended tire pressure
Vehicle owners driving in excess of posted speeds on interstates

The whole shape of the tire/vehicle manufacturing process changed due to this event with the passage of the TREAD Act in fall 2000. Manufacturers had to gather failure data and report it to the Fed's, clear recall regulations, and the "Early Warning" system of TPMS was mandated although it wasn't fully implemented until 2012 model year.

FWIW, when someone has an ST trailer tire fail, it would do well to file a report/complaint with NTSB. Especially if damage or accident is involved.

All too often one who has this happen merely utters a few choice words, replaced the tire or full set with new, and then merely gripes about *expletive deleted* tires are so crappy.

If the NTSB gets enough complaints in their file about a certain tire they'll investigate and that tire may well be recalled. It's happened before with Chines Imports so what I'm saying isn't just wishful thinking.

I agree with everything except what's highlighted in red . speed limits are arbitrary during Carter when the fed mandated 55mph to now where you can see speed limits of 80 or more really has nothing to do with TPMS systems being mandated . mostly it's lazy people lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I agree with everything except what's highlighted in red . speed limits are arbitrary during Carter when the fed mandated 55mph to now where you can see speed limits of 80 or more really has nothing to do with TPMS systems being mandated . mostly it's lazy people lol
If you ever read some of the reports regarding Explorer accidents you'd note that the drivers were even exceeding sensible speed limits.

True, we did have 55 mph limits during the Carter years but it was Ford that signed it into law.

Was repealed in in 1995, a decade before the TPMS mandate. The States with wide open (and hot) spaces were the first to open up the speeds on their highways but some tires on the market weren't necessarily ready for them.

When the 55 mph limit was repealed we got to watch our adjustment rate on tires take a huge leap upward in New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada. Speed and heat.

Side note: Whenever I got a new Co Vehicle back then I removed the factory tires and installed some "S" rated tires. Good for 112 mph but I never saw that kind of speed. Cars were speed limited to 100 mph.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #33

Foolish boy, you know that no good deed goes un-punished on this forum. Try posting up sometime when the chain law changes in your state......

I really had to laugh at BCs abacus reply and Hallas radiator cap response!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #34

Some auto mfg check tire pressure in a roundabout way.

The computer keeps track of tire RPM, and lights a warning at a large difference.

2010 Honda CRV
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #35
Site Team

Tpms were mandated due to the TREAD act, which was in response to the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle.

You can do an internet search on the TREAD act, and read all the details.

https://one.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/announce...ony/tread.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, well well....

I'm not even sure why we use calculators when the Abacus was such a perfectly good tool.
I still like the old slip stick (slide ruler to all of you youngen's) and pull this out every once in awhile to maintain my ability to use it.

I use to go to meetings with my slip stick just in-case some young whipper snapper's hand calculator failed. They did, do to not replacing the batteries.

I agree TPMS is nice but this is not a life saver as everyone makes it out to be. By relying on a battery operated device errors can and will be introduced. Also a lot of end users are become obsessed with the displayed information.

I have read were individuals are lowing the COLD tire inflation pressure so, the tire when it is at operating speed the air pressure matches the tire display sticker inflation pressure. They also are very concerned over tire temps when they see the temp Delta between cold tires and operating temps.

These are not the users who individually weigh the trailer/motor home tire weights. But individuals who have not been educated in vehicle maintenance, and think the electronic gods are always right and the internet is all knowing with the truth!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #37

Quote:
I still like the old slip stick (slide ruler to all of you youngen's) and pull this out every once in awhile to maintain my ability to use it.

I use to go to meetings with my slip stick just in-case some young whipper snapper's hand calculator failed. They did, do to not replacing the batteries.

I agree TPMS is nice but this is not a life saver as everyone makes it out to be. By relying on a battery operated device errors can and will be introduced. Also a lot of end users are become obsessed with the displayed information.

I have read were individuals are lowing the COLD tire inflation pressure so, the tire when it is at operating speed the air pressure matches the tire display sticker inflation pressure. They also are very concerned over tire temps when they see the temp Delta between cold tires and operating temps.

These are not the users who individually weigh the trailer/motor home tire weights. But individuals who have not been educated in vehicle maintenance, and think the electronic gods are always right and the internet is all knowing with the truth!
All true ------ However-------- I don't care how diligent one is with the old school methods, checking tire pressures with a gauge before starting out every day and even at rest stops, that won't tell them when they've picked up a nail or piece of road rubbish and the tire is now loosing air.

Only continuous monitoring can give one the early warning needed to prevent tire failure and collateral damage.

Think about all tires that have failed and could have been saved with a simple patch if the owner had received warning that it was loosing air before they ran another 10 miles on it.

How many here have checked tires in the morning and had a tire come apart before noon. Nails and screws are everywhere and one could have been picked up within minutes of starting out. THAT is the main benefit of a TPMS.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Just think that almost every warning from a TPMS represents a failure of a "China Bomb" if there was no TPMS on the RV.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I think you misunderstood. He's using a "gage" to check tire pressure, not a gauge. How does work? Do you cover the valve stem with a rag and yell "Tell your air pressure now...or else!!"? Oh wait, that "gag". According to Google "Gage" is the spelling of an obsolescent word meaning a pledge, a challenge, etc. "Gauge" is the spelling to use when you measure measurement, estimate, or standard. I really wish the naysayers would learn to spell...obviously by using the dictionary and not spellcheck.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Some auto mfg check tire pressure in a roundabout way.

The computer keeps track of tire RPM, and lights a warning at a large difference.

2010 Honda CRV
What you are referring to is what is called an indirect TPMS as opposed to a direct TPMS.

This link helps explain the difference between indirect and direct.

https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/arti...pms-tech-tips/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote