Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

The Next RAM recall

As if the Y78 recall was not enough, there is a 5-7 year built in catastrophic failure point on these RAM 6.7 diesels. Watch and weep because to my knowledge this failure has not surfaced as a recall item occurring so long after the warranty expires. However, if you do not replace with a Banks unit or a stainless bolt and wait to do a trade/sale of an I-5 in 5 years time there will be $500K price tag on the equivalent.

vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #2

I see the old carnival barker is at it again. Potential fail point? Yes. High probability? No. I know multiple people with high mile 6.7s, one was at 368K, another @470K and zero grid bolt failures.

Gale Banks is a very smart man, but he is P.T. Barnum reincarnated.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #3

I have a 2015 6.7 cummins... I am not worried at all..
Instead of posting doom and gloom...
Why not post said ( possoble problem ) and way's to check or make sure it dont happen.
A simple online search for said problem some have will give anything from free to the expensive fix, to no fix needed.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #4

i have a 2015 ram with the 6.7L diesel engine. i haven't heard of this. seems kind of self-serving that the solution is to install his product. if it was such an issue don't you think ram would have some guidance? but there is a known problem that ram has addressed with the turbo charger. they have extended the warranty on it to 10 years! in our case they paid to have it replaced after the normal warranty had expired. it would appear that this is far more prevalent than the bolt issue that i haven't heard of.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadorer99 View Post
I have a 2015 6.7 cummins... I am not worried at all..
Instead of posting doom and gloom...
Why not post said ( possoble problem ) and way's to check or make sure it dont happen.
A simple online search for said problem some have will give anything from free to the expensive fix, to no fix needed.
Good to hear that you and others are not worried - and nor should you be as statistically even if the incidence is twice the known failure rate of the HPFP, it aint going to happen.

I posted it because its additive to the collection of Cummins C&C based problems which given the proclivity of many owners to ignore their OMs and plead for FB or other solutions, I though this might be entertaining in a perverse sort of way. Add another system fail point to the 56 others already in evidence.

As for Town Crier Banks, he is a digression as the problem can be addressed with a simple bolt replacement and I wrote as much.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Good to hear that you and others are not worried - and nor should you be as statistically even if the incidence is twice the known failure rate of the HPFP, it aint going to happen.

I posted it because its additive to the collection of Cummins C&C based problems which given the proclivity of many owners to ignore their OMs and plead for FB or other solutions, I though this might be entertaining in a perverse sort of way. Add another system fail point to the 56 others already in evidence.

As for Town Crier Banks, he is a digression as the problem can be addressed with a simple bolt replacement and I wrote as much.
This does come up occasionally in high humidity areas with cold short runs of the truck. These engines have been in use 15 years. The one they showed in the video is 9 years old. Next question is how many years before that coil grid heater falls in? I like Banks designs and have installed many and have several on my personal truck as well. I havenít seen 56 others though.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #7

We watched the video and now we are interested in replacing the grid heater with the Banks part. Not that we are so worried about failure (we live in So Cal, zero humidity) but we are interested in improved performance. So, where can we get this done in So Cal? Anyone know a place that'll work on our I5 30FW to get this done?
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
We watched the video and now we are interested in replacing the grid heater with the Banks part. Not that we are so worried about failure (we live in So Cal, zero humidity) but we are interested in improved performance. So, where can we get this done in So Cal? Anyone know a place that'll work on our I5 30FW to get this done?
Banks may have a list of shops. Big area, Diesel shops all around. Pretty simple, it comes with a special made fuel line to allow room. Banks specialty is air flow.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well its an old problem that most folks will most not likely encounter. Always someone trying to stir up a issue that you may or may not happen. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-24 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #10
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Banks may have a list of shops. Big area, Diesel shops all around. Pretty simple, it comes with a special made fuel line to allow room. Banks specialty is air flow.
Any diesel shop will be happy for the work if its CARB compliant. You will have to purchase the parts and they will fit. Also take a look at at their Pedal Monster. It does make a big difference to the the motor's response. Particularly useful at on-ramps.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #11

I get somewhat concerned with information, where a company that is selling a fix says how bad something is but we can fix it..................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:

In the promo video for the intake(not the video above)Mr Barnum/Banks goes on and on about the HUUUUUUGE airflow CFM gain on the flow bench, however I have yet to see anything trustworthy indicating a meaningful performance gain in the real world, on a stock truck.

While the current grid heater design may be less than optimal, historically it has been an advantage over glow plugs, which are known to occasionally break off and do catastrophic damage, or swell up and be difficult/impossible to remove.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
Norwood Auto Italia

Look on the Banks web site. There are a number of mounted and instrumented tests of his intakes and air cleaner air flows.

Few other have invested in the dyno installation needed to design, develop and manufacture this type of equipment.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #14

I havent come across any info of anyone really digging into finding some facts.
Is it a will happen, as mine has 132,000 simple miles on it, and passes the wiggle test just fine. ( wiggle test, wiggle bolt at top, if loose, thats bad, if not loose good for another day,,,,, maybe )
Just like i can go to the hardware store and buy a bolt. Take it home, install it and it breaks, go get another same store same place, and it is fine.
Did said bolt not get tightened that day????
Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #15

I did view his site after the prior video, and it just repeated the flow bench gains. That's fine and dandy, but does it translate to actual gains on actual trucks in actual use. Flowing 83% more means nothing if the engine doesn't need it. For heavily modified trucks, sled pullers, etc. maybe. I suspect if there were meaningful power and MPG gains on stock trucks he'd have plenty of graphs, charts and videos proclaiming it.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #16
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HasBeen View Post
I did view his site after the prior video, and it just repeated the flow bench gains. That's fine and dandy, but does it translate to actual gains on actual trucks in actual use. Flowing 83% more means nothing if the engine doesn't need it. For heavily modified trucks, sled pullers, etc. maybe. I suspect if there were meaningful power and MPG gains on stock trucks he'd have plenty of graphs, charts and videos proclaiming it.
I agree - all these YouTube video comparisons with falsified computer read outs of performance gains relative to stock and other after market products are a bunch of nonsense. Fabricated to entice our hard earned resources away from us under the pretense of producing more performance. Everyone knows that OEMs unlimited budgets always make for the best performance and as written, unless you are sled pulling, none of this equipment has any application in the humdrum world of state highways let alone interstates.

Just look at this for example - 2017 tests of various intake manifolds for the Cummins 6.7 - just smoke and mirrors with no "actual gains"

Old 07-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #17
Broken Toe

Gale Banks is famous for 2 things in the Diesel community. Designing some very good (and very pricey) components and systems for diesel engines, and for using his name to convince you that your engine has problems only his products can solve.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #18

In just looking at the way the intake on the 6.7 cummins works.
As i have one..
The grid heater can only let so much air through it, because of the grids.
So a supper duper intake really wont do much bang for the buck, vs the stock intake.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #19
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadorer99 View Post
In just looking at the way the intake on the 6.7 cummins works.
As i have one..
The grid heater can only let so much air through it, because of the grids.
So a supper duper intake really wont do much bang for the buck, vs the stock intake.
True but just like the MAF sensor on a gas engine, the question is does the manifold flow enough air to max out the MAF or the grid area. The video material measures the air flow after the grid area so by definition the differences are representative of the max the entire system can flow. And in the examples offered, the Banks is one of if not the best flow.

However... the next question is will the ECU compensate for the increased airflow by increasing the injector flows. My (between the lines) interpretation of the state of tune on the 6.7 Cummins is that they are already close to max which is why there are virtually no aftermarket piggy back tuners available for this engine. The system designers have discovered that to offer a better tune, they need more air and fuel and the system cannot provide that without the customer buying expensive after market parts as well (probably) as a 4" exhaust throughout.

Total guesses on my part but I play with this stuff on some other cars and have learned some tough lessons working with race restrictors, injectors, manifolds, exhausts and the ECUs.

Which takes us back to why one would purchase a Banks manifold just to avoid a hardware failure when there is limited evidence that one can employ the performance for which the device was designed without replacing the entire air and fuel system and developing a chip to manage the changed dynamics. Seems to me that since no one has done this commercially since the engine design was released, the device makes no sense for us.

Just check/replace the bolt at 100,000 miles or the first time the injectors have to get pulled. But that's the next owners' problem anyway.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:

if you're in So Cal go directly to Banks in Azusa. They service and install all their products. I had one of their tuners on my last truck and it was having issues, went there and they fixed it immediately (my office is only a few miles from them)
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram, recall