Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Tire blow-out advice

I know, keep tires properly inflated by actual weight, inspect before every trip, and don't overload.

We had tyron bands on our class A and did have a blow-out (right front) while I was driving. Very frightening, I was afraid before, never drove it after.

Anyways, despite severe vibration, the coach did not careen from side to side, i was able to let it slow down as I eased it off the road. No damage to coach, tire did not come off rim, no damage to rim at all. I would say they worked as designed. However we had to wait on I95 for 5 hours and luckily the guy was able to "pry" the tire off the rim. He had a hell of a time and told us if he knew there were tyron bands he might not have come!!!

So what do you all think about Tyron bands or steering stabilizers. Wondering if we should look at something for our new coach. This forum is great for advice
Old 01-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

We added an ez steer, supposed to help greatly will blow outs. It also made it easier to drive on highway in my opinion.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 01-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
We added an ez steer, supposed to help greatly will blow outs. It also made it easier to drive on highway in my opinion.

Ditto on that
I put on Safe t plus- Same concept

just do it
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #4

I just realized i used the safe-t-plus too. Ez steer was for something in my side by side. Sorry about that

Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
So who installs these things? Will dealers do it or you have to find a garage?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

I installed it myself, but I know that our RV dealer installs them, General RV. I know Camping World does it too, but I would not have them do anything around here (Ohio), just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

I got freightliner to do it but parts have to come from RV dealer

You ll need the bar and mounting kit
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Install was easy, the hardest part was adjusting, had to drive it about 15 miles and stop every so often to adjust with wrenches.

If you have someone install it, emphasize that you need it adjusted properly.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Well it looks like the tyron ring did what it is suppose to do. You also provided some insight on the downside of the unit.

While you are correct that knowing the weight and proper inflation number you have also learned that the ring will not prevent either air loss or belt separation. (learn the difference in this post)

Maybe something to consider is to take the steps necessary to prevent a failure in the first place as the ring only addresses the "after" a tire has failed.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #10

Agreed, but thinking I'd like something in place should a blowout happen again despite proper tire care. With out the Tyron issue of many cant/don't want to deal with it
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Agreed, but thinking I'd like something in place should a blowout happen again despite proper tire care. With out the Tyron issue of many cant/don't want to deal with it

Sorry, there is no Free Lunch. Have you confirmed if the failure was from running low pressure or was it a belt/tread separation? Only way to know if you had proper inflation just before the failure is to report your hot pressure readings.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #12

Couldn't report anything we were on the side of I95 middle of nowhere going south. All I know is tired blew out on inside, there was a hole. Front passenger tire.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Couldn't report anything we were on the side of I95 middle of nowhere going south. All I know is tired blew out on inside, there was a hole. Front passenger tire.

Well that's a perfect example of why it is important for everyone to have a written record of the tire DOT, size and brand info on file with other important information you keep for other components of the RV such as Refrigerator, Furnace, Generator, TV etc.

Many complain about the poor durability of tires in RV application but very few bother to take the basic steps needed to get the information to the DOT. NHTSA (department of DOT) can investigate products if there are sufficient complaints received and if they find an automotive component doesn't meet the required standards they can order a recall. Recalls can result if replacement tires being given of owners.

However for a complaint to be minimally helpful in establishing poor performance the full DOT (including date code) is needed. All too often there is confusion in the terminology of tire company, brand and model. Some owners do not provide the correct of complete tire size giving info such as 225-15 for example.

I have a number of posts on my blog about recalls and NHTSA if people want to learn more.

If not interested in getting better performing tires on your next RV that's your choice but I have little compassion for people who have problems but aren't willing to spend 10 minutes filing an actionable complaint. Remember a bit@# session around the campfire or on an RV forum will never result in an improvement in RV component quality.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #14

We always had all info on anything in, on the RV, including tire info with us at all times including that day. Since it happened years ago, we've told the story to many campers, and RV dealers (we just traded that coach and waiting on new one) You are the first person to ever suggest that there should have been a report filed. I will remember that and hope there's not a next time, but god forbid, if there is I know what to do. Thank you for that, but don't assume we don't care about the quality of our RV tires. We didn't know it should be reported.

Tags
tire