Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #21

Which of the TST systems do you recommend? I notice a flow through and an internal one? Are they difficult to install and set up? Educate a newbie here...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #22

The TST system comes with either 'flow through' or 'cap' sensors''. They both work well. The cap sensors need to be removed to put air in the tire but no big deal, especially if you remove the antitheft ring. See attached manual for details. The cap sensors do not stick out as much but are wider.

TST says you can install the sensors on regular length rubber valve stems which I have done in the past without problems. However, on my ISATA 3, due to the dual wheel issues, I installed metal valve stems on the four rear tires custom made for the Sprinter. See attached URL for details.

The system works great so far (4,000 miles).

<http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/6955/dl1spal-chrome-duallyvalve-dl1spal>

I can take a picture of the units installed if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dl1spal-chrome-duallyvalve-kit-dl1spal.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	189532  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TST-Doc-507_Manual-_B.pdf (4.13 MB, 57 views)
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #23
Old Engineer

TST on Sprinter

I use the TST flow Through Sensors on metal valve stems on the RV, and the Cap style sensors on the towed.
I have not had any issues with corrosion as was mentioned earlier.
The valve stem materials appear to be brass on plated brass, so there should not be a galvanic corrosion issue with dissimilar metals.
I don't know if there may have been an earlier version of the sensor with an aluminum fitting.
That would be a galvanic corrosion problem, especially in the presence of road salt as an electrolyte.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #24

I bought the flow through sensors, because the cap style sensors I’d been using from RVI were a bit of a pain to deal with on the rear duals. Set them up and installed them last night. Very easy install.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
Commercial Member

What I have heard is that the Flow Through are ONLY for metal stems. Rubber stems must use the Cap Style due to weight.

Of course metal stems cause either.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #26

I bought the cap style TST for simplicity. Heard about people having issues with the flow through, but they may have improved that. I don’t mind taking the caps on and off
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
I use the TST flow Through Sensors on metal valve stems on the RV, and the Cap style sensors on the towed.
I have not had any issues with corrosion as was mentioned earlier.
The valve stem materials appear to be brass on plated brass, so there should not be a galvanic corrosion issue with dissimilar metals.
I don't know if there may have been an earlier version of the sensor with an aluminum fitting.
That would be a galvanic corrosion problem, especially in the presence of road salt as an electrolyte.
I am the one who reported the corrosion problem. My TST are like yours, they appear to be brass. The mechanic told me it was corrosion. All I know is that two of the flow throughs became fused to the valve stems of my ProMaster wheels.
Both were on the front wheels. One stopped sending a reading and TST suggested changing the battery. That didn’t help. They also said that my valve might need adjustment.

I also didn’t like that it could take ten minutes to get readings from the tires. I have the older monitor. From reading here it seems the new monitor is a nice improvement.

Next time I will get non flow through so I will be forced to remove cap more often.

I didn’t use the antitheft feature, too much aggravation .

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #28

I have the flow thru sensors and after over 10,000 miles still working great. I think the TST-507 color is a good choice.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I didn't add the antitheft nuts either when I installed them last night...seemed like too much trouble if/when you ever needed to remove a sensor.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Which of the TST systems do you recommend? I notice a flow through and an internal one? Are they difficult to install and set up? Educate a newbie here...
I love the "flow through" ones. I adjust the air pressure in my tow vehicle when I'm towing vs. not towing so it would be a pain to take them off all the time. Plus, I don't want to have to take them off, just to top off the air, etc.
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
Multi-Slacker

I went for the caps because I had just installed all new tires and did not want to have to deal with installing steel valve stems on my trailer's tires.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #32

tire pressure monitoring

what does "flow through" mean?
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #33
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
what does "flow through" mean?
Flow through means you can put air in the tire without removing the sensor because it is not just a cap. It has a valve on the top.
The 2 pair on the left are conventional pressure sensor caps (non-flow through). On the right are flow through. You can see it has a female end to screw on your wheels' valve stem, and a male end for air to flow through the sensor into the tire when filling.
I hope that helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181021-220308_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	189721
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #34

tire pressure monitoring

thank you,
interesting, in that i bought them for my dually camper only to never install them out of fear that they would leak. might use them with a tpms system, because i would be able to know if they were leaking.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #35
ENE

I have a TST TMPS and they are one of the best on the market. Make sure you install steel valve stems on your tires or the slight wobble will cause the rubber valve stem to wear thru causing a flat.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #36
RetiredRVer

Smile

Quote:
I am the one who reported the corrosion problem. My TST are like yours, they appear to be brass. The mechanic told me it was corrosion. All I know is that two of the flow throughs became fused to the valve stems of my ProMaster wheels.
Both were on the front wheels. One stopped sending a reading and TST suggested changing the battery. That didn’t help. They also said that my valve might need adjustment.

I also didn’t like that it could take ten minutes to get readings from the tires. I have the older monitor. From reading here it seems the new monitor is a nice improvement.

Next time I will get non flow through so I will be forced to remove cap more often.

Might try a little anti-seize compound next time you install the flow thru sensors. Won't harm the sending unit, and should help in removal later.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Might try a little anti-seize compound next time you install the flow thru sensors. Won't harm the sending unit, and should help in removal later.
Worth a try, thanks.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #38

Found the TST 507 with 4 caps and the monochrome display (don't think I really need color) for $224 with free shipping at greatrvproducts.com Just ordered it. We'll see how it works.
Bryan1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #39

When I bought the RV I actually own (Georgetown 378) I also bought a TPMS model TMG400C-6 from Tire Minder which I paid 400$ CDN for it. I calibrated the system as per the instruction booklet. I left Montreal when the temperature was about 15°F. On my way to Florida I had about 5-6 false alarms. So I recalibrate when I was parked in Florida. No problem whatsoever on my way back from FL. No problem during the next summer. The next winter, when the temp was about 0°F, I left for Florida and the temperature sensor gave me a reading of 100°F on the front right tire. Obviously something is wrong with this system. So after arriving in FL, I removed all the sensors on all the wheels and almost all of them had a cracked cap. (So good for the material quality...)
So now I check my tire pressure every morning before driving and I have a TPMS for sale at a rock bottom price.
VE2PUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
I was a TST user until recently. My flow throughs got stuck on my Dodge valves. Corrosion.

My advice if getting TST is to avoid the flow through version.

I have to replace two Dodge TPMS sensor valves at $91 each plus labor.

I asked TST for suggestions to remove their sensors and was told tomorrow. That was months ago.

Tire Minder may be my next set as they offer sensors with your choice of metal.
many first generatioOE Tpms were aluminum stems which corrode.

Aftermarket valve stems are brass or nickle plated brass and are less likely to corrode but still possible.

However a little "Never Seize" on threads can slow or prevent corrosion.

I have been using the same set of 6 external sensors from Tire Traker since 2009 when I purchased the TPMS at an RV event directly from Traker people. No corrosion on my bolt in metal valves (Nickel plated so are silver looking) brass is redish/yellow on my 2008 and 2016 Class-C MHs.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire