Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #1

Tire Valve Stem Issues

When I got new Tires for my Dynamax ISATA3 RW Mercedes SPRINTER 3500, They installed standard rubber valve stems on the Dually and fronts. The metal valve extensions to bring them out of the wheel covers, ended up causing a problem. the rubber valve stem was flexed back and forth and one eventually leaked and the tire went flat. I was told by a tire dealer in Pittsburgh that they should have installed metal stems. I called my local tire dealer here in Florida and they said I would have to buy them. Has anyone had to do this? and if so, any Idea what to buy for this? Thank you for reading.
abcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcastro View Post
When I got new Tires for my Dynamax ISATA3 RW Mercedes SPRINTER 3500, They installed standard rubber valve stems on the Dually and fronts. The metal valve extensions to bring them out of the wheel covers, ended up causing a problem. the rubber valve stem was flexed back and forth and one eventually leaked and the tire went flat. I was told by a tire dealer in Pittsburgh that they should have installed metal stems. I called my local tire dealer here in Florida and they said I would have to buy them. Has anyone had to do this? and if so, any Idea what to buy for this? Thank you for reading.
If the rims had metal valve stems in the first place, why were they replaced when the new tires were mounted? Was this just a way for the tire shop to charge you more money?
Old 12-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #3

Instead of guessing and hoping the forum gives you what you need have the tire shop that is going to install them get the correct stems for your rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Sprinter rims are “special” and most generic metal stems won’t fit. Most tire stores don’t have a metal stem compatible with Sprinter wheels. A “Sprinter Store” link:

https://www.sprinterstore.com/merced...t-front-stems/

These get rid of the extensions.

There are other sources - Google ‘Sprinter Valve Stems’.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
In general the extensions are more trouble than they are worth. They are the root cause of many problems. Get a good Dully Chuck and you can check/fill both tires without an extension.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #6
Fla5er

We have had tire valve troubles as well. However what we have is not the same as yours: We use the Tire Minder TPMS which, as many may know, is an after market TPMS that has the transmitters that screw onto the tire valves. There have been 3 incidences where we experienced rapid air leaks causing the TPMS to alert us. All three were on different tires: one on the left rear and then both front tires, and all 3 were on our truck: we're towing our 5th wheel. The tires were fine, but when I moved the valve stems with my hand, the leaking stopped. These incidences occurred on three different trips, all during the Summer time. So I'm wondering if the adhesive that's used to bond the brass stem to the rubber portion is what's causing the problem. This hasn't happened to us before over the many years we've been towing.

So I'm wondering if the valve stems are made in China....
On each occasion I had all the valve stems replaced on the truck, where the remainder of our trips were event-free.

I've had the tire dealers check and make sure that the valve stems were for high pressure tires, all assured me that they were.
Has anyone else had this issue?
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

The sprinter came with rubber valve stems. This problem of broken valve stems is reported over and over here. I have also heard that the hub caps (rear simulators) also move and cut the valve stems. Some run stainless zip straps on on rear to hold simulators on. I did, but than ended just taking off the simulators before a long trip and left them off.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #8
Steve & Linda M.

This is a typical RV valve stem extension lament. Any reputable Tire Shop would have known not to use rubber stems on the rear dualies. Especially if aware that a tire pressure sensor, both mass and length extension, was going to be mounted.

I would say just find a professional tire shop.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I went through the same thing when putting on new Michelin tires at Discount Tire. They had no clue it seems when dealing with Dually Wheels. I ended up with two flats on a highway in the middle of nowhere. After much hastle when I finally got home I found they had put in rubber stems and left the braided stem extension hoses loose and flopping around. Discount Tire replaced one damaged tire and I had them put in Hybrid Metal stems in all tires. I didn't even trust those so I drilled a small hole and put a small aluminum Adel Clamp on each stem. I replaced all the stem extensions with solid metal ones. Rock solid now but if I ever need it worked on I will have to remove the clamps on the stems.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #10

You need to take your MH to a tire shop that handles Commercial Trucks.
generally a regular tire shop that deals with personnal vehicles has no clue what a dually vehicle actually needs like metal valve stems required.

just my opinion
Old 12-17-2022, 01:34 PM   #11

Use one piece metal valve stems - no extensions. I also like using the rubber pieces that go in the hole in the outer wheel to keep the inner stem stable.
ncrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
If the rims had metal valve stems in the first place, why were they replaced when the new tires were mounted? Was this just a way for the tire shop to charge you more money?
More lack of knowledge as the store probably doesn't service vehicles like this.

Unless the metal stem is damaged the only thing really needed is to replace the rubber grommets and install a new valve core for good measure.

As stated by others, go to a Dealer that services larger, commercial vehicles. They have the proper equipment, knowledge, and in most cases replacement grommets.

Yes, they might charge more but a job done right is IMHO worth more.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
You need to take your MH to a tire shop that handles Commercial Trucks.
generally a regular tire shop that deals with personnal vehicles has no clue what a dually vehicle actually needs like metal valve stems required.

just my opinion

I feel its OUR job to know what WE want, than take the parts we need to any regular tire shop and they can install it.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I feel its OUR job to know what WE want, than take the parts we need to any regular tire shop and they can install it.
For those with the aptitude and desire to know what they need (like metal valve stems, etc.) thats great. In today's world those individuals are in the minority and they need to rely on the tire dealer and should choose wisely. The dealer with the most knowledge of your needs may not be the cheapest.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #15

Tire Stems

Thank you to everyone who posted there experiences. It is greatly appreciated.
Yes, in my case Discount Tire installed rubber stems. I am not sure what was in place when the continental tires were there. Discount told me they do not stock any metal stems. So I take it the best solution is metal stems and no extensions if possible. There is a professional truck center here in Melbourne Florida so I could check with them. Discount did say if I bought the parts they would install them. So I have to figure out exactly what to buy. With all of your help that task got much easier so thank you. That's what I was hoping for. It's no fun to get a flat. Thanks for the info about TPMS I will look into that. Kind Regards, Tony
abcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #16

I had a 2017 Isata 3 for several years and I got my metal stems from this company and my local tire dealer installed them.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...yvalve-dl1spal
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #17

I found these two items online.

Where the rim thickness at the stem hole is greater than . 205 inches, a metal clamp-in valve stem must be used. The wheel can be thicker if the coined area around the hole meets the required specifications. However, you should use the stem specified for the thickness at the wheel's stem hole.

Metal valve stems on trailer wheels prevent this motion from occurring. When attached to metal valve stems, the TPMS sensor cap will remain stationary, at any speed. Sturdy metal valve stems prevent TPMS damage.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #18

Borg Valve Stems

Hello, the first thing, you should replace all your valve stems with Borg stems ( front and rear.) Just my opinion.
Next thing to do is zip tie your hubcaps so they won’t spin around and put pressure on valve stems, very important if your are keeping your rubber valve stems.
Any tire shop that services trucks or Class A RV’s can take care of you. I ordered my valve stems directly from Borg and took them to the shop. I also had them balance the tires as they would be off anyway.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNative View Post
We have had tire valve troubles as well. However what we have is not the same as yours: We use the Tire Minder TPMS which, as many may know, is an after market TPMS that has the transmitters that screw onto the tire valves. There have been 3 incidences where we experienced rapid air leaks causing the TPMS to alert us. All three were on different tires: one on the left rear and then both front tires, and all 3 were on our truck: we're towing our 5th wheel. The tires were fine, but when I moved the valve stems with my hand, the leaking stopped. These incidences occurred on three different trips, all during the Summer time. So I'm wondering if the adhesive that's used to bond the brass stem to the rubber portion is what's causing the problem. This hasn't happened to us before over the many years we've been towing.

So I'm wondering if the valve stems are made in China....
On each occasion I had all the valve stems replaced on the truck, where the remainder of our trips were event-free.

I've had the tire dealers check and make sure that the valve stems were for high pressure tires, all assured me that they were.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Real metal stems are "Bolt-IN" there is no metal to rubber bonding. There are rubber stems that may have metal bonded to the outside so they look similar to real bolt in metal stems.
Most Bolt in metal stems have the nuts visible on the outside. There are some bolt-in stems with the nuts on the "inside" or in the air chamber.

There are so called "high pressure" rubber stems but those are still "snap-in" type and do not have nuts that need to be tightened to install the stems. IMO the "Hi-Press" stems are not worth much more than the low cost snap-in stems but some dealers are happy to charge more.

If you have a question ask the dealer to show you the Bolt-in" stems and look for nuts that need to be tightened.

Finally if you are running external TPMS (which you should be using) I strongly suggest you only install external TPM sensors on "BOLT-IN metal stems. I have pictures and many posts on metal stems on my blog.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who posted there experiences. It is greatly appreciated.
Yes, in my case Discount Tire installed rubber stems. I am not sure what was in place when the continental tires were there. Discount told me they do not stock any metal stems. So I take it the best solution is metal stems and no extensions if possible. There is a professional truck center here in Melbourne Florida so I could check with them. Discount did say if I bought the parts they would install them. So I have to figure out exactly what to buy. With all of your help that task got much easier so thank you. That's what I was hoping for. It's no fun to get a flat. Thanks for the info about TPMS I will look into that. Kind Regards, Tony

Many auto parts stores like O Reilly carry good bolt-in metal stems that will normally work on any steel wheels But some aluminum need special bolt in stems because they do not provide the needed clearance.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, valve