Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
Commercial Member

1/8" per foot is code...of course leveling the coach becomes more critical in that case...or maybe even a little high to help it slope/drain. that 1/8" can become zero pretty quick. Not a big deal, if single ply paper in normal quantity and plenty of water is used as it's not a very long run.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #22

Hi,

As he so often does, bclemens has mentioned something really important -- the angle of the rig when dumping.

I have been at dump stations so dramatically tilted the wrong way that I dragged out my leveling ramp and lifted the off side of my trailer to approximate a decent dump angle.

Remember, these tanks are relatively shallow and very wide. Getting all the solids and sediment moving can benefit from all the advantages you can provide.

Perhaps adding some extra tilt to the next few dumps, along with lots of extra water, will accelerate the cleanout.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #23

Just an FYI, we never put paper in the toilet; use small container with small plastic grocery shopping bags, (and a lid if you prefer). We also use fabric softener which has eliminated any buildup at all--

I also use Thetford Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner, frequently, in the toilet and (both the Black tank, and the Grey tank, when its closed), for two reasons, toilet seal conditioner and dump valve seal conditioner; it also increases the, 'slippery' effect.

Works great so far.
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #24

Sure glad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1/8" per foot is code...of course leveling the coach becomes more critical in that case...or maybe evening a little high to help it slope/drain. that 1/8" can become zero pretty quick. Not a big deal, if single ply paper in normal quantity and plenty of water is used as it's not a very long run.
Sure glad the toilets in both our TTs are "direct-drop." I'm glad I learned about this as something to look for if we ever buy another one.

I learned to use very little paper in the military--in Basic Combat Training we were issued four rolls per day for a company of 200 men. Some of the squeamish mama's boys learned quickly not to use a whole handful each time. DW still does, cannot be convinced.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD-on the road again View Post
In reading all these posts, people refer to calgon and dishsoap often. Does it make the septic system run smoother? How much of each product? How often would you use it?
My version - I fill the Calgon cap with Dawn, dump that in, then add 1 cap of Calgon. The Calgon rinses out a bit of the left over Dawn. I add this every time I dump the tank. I do add some clean water to the tank via the tank flush after closing the dump valve.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #26

Not the septic system

Quote:
In reading all these posts, people refer to calgon and dishsoap often. Does it make the septic system run smoother? How much of each product? How often would you use it?
Not the septic system. That, if present, is the responsibility of the campground.

The problem is that if the "black tank" is not properly maintained, solid waste products will form a solid lump that's not displaced by simply draining the tank. In cases where there's a nearly horizontal run between toilet and tank, it can clog the pipe. In cases where the toilet drops directly into the tank, it can form a cone (pyramid) directly under the opening that rises right to the toilet and precludes further use.

The magical Calgon-Dawn formula and the enzyme formula are cast as solutions to this problem. Better to use plenty of water and not have it in the first place.

It's also been suggested in many venues that the lump can be dispersed by loading the tank with ice cubes and water and going for rough ride. lends no credibility to that suggestion.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #27

According to Mr. Rooter website...

Quote:
Throw the Toilet Paper Away
There’s no law that says you have to flush your toilet paper down the toilet. You can get a dedicated trash bin with a cover designed specifically for toilet paper and instruct all household members to throw all the toilet paper in that bin.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
According to Mr. Rooter website...
I saw that and thought Wow! I do not buy that solution and I will never bring up that with the DW.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #29

Install a bidet. My son lived in Indonesia for two years; when he came back, he couldn't figure to why they are not common in the U.S.A. You use less paper (or none, if you use towels) and more water, both of which have been mentioned numerous times in this post. And you get cleaner, so less time in the shower. I have to admit that adding a bidet to my unit is low on my bucket list. I got a case of RV t.p. from Amazon (they make thoughtful gifts to my camping buddies) and let the tank fill to 3/4 and try to use the backflush as often as possible. I toss some dawn in once in a while. And I use this; strongly recommended by a guy on another forum who started using it after a costly black pyramid experience. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #30

I've had RV's for 30 years, always used Charmin and never had a problem. Dumped Black only when full and rinsed completely with a flush system until the water ran clear. I just don't understand why there seems to be such a problem.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #31

The only time we ever had a clog was when we used the RV toilet paper. It dissolved and turned into paper mache'. Figuring we had not much to loose we tried the old standby Scott in the 1,000 sheet rolls. Haven't had a clog since. For some reason it seems slipperier and just slides out of the tank if it isn't already dissolved - and it breaks up pretty fast in the water anyway. Scott also makes an RV paper, but, we haven't tried it. Need 2 ply - just fold the sheets. Also, we use only the Dawn as a cleaner - one squirt per tankful - the enzyme and other digesters are just sitting in the basement. We took a small bottle with us, but, haven't used it in years. No, we don't get any odor unless the fan is going when we flush - duh!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #32

Also, when we dump the tanks we then add a 5 gal bucket of water and some Dawn Dish Detergent to the tank. It sloshes around cleaning the tank on the way home and the next trip to a campground.

We then leave the water in the tank to prevent build-ups of a white or brown pyramid that is difficult to remove.

If I were you after flushing my tank Id fill it 1/2 way full (by using measured water from 5 gallon buckets, not the idiot lights on the gauge) and dawn.

Drive home and back like I said with it sitting and soaking til you return to the campground. That will most likely loosen the buildup.

Drain it upon getting back to the campground and flush. Add the 6 gallons of water and you should be done.

A clear section of drain pipe at the connection will help you to see that you are actually getting the unwanted material out of the tank and drained
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #33

Quote:
W#e use Laundry Detergent,,, not dish soap !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #34

Hi! Same thing happened to us and the only thing that worked was to pour lots and lots of boiling water directly in the toilet....the paper started to dissolve little by little and eventually the blockage went down. Good luck!
grangalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #35

I believe TP plugs depend on what RV you own,,,
Some RV will except most anything,,, others plug up @ the sign of TP !!!
We have not trouble with our Sunseeker,,, but our old Flagstaff TT plugged up every time we put #2 and TP in it,,, so I keep a stir stick out side !!!
Each to there own,,, but there is no way we would keep used TP in a basket !!!
We do use the GEO Method !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
put #2 and TP in it,,, so I keep a stir stick out side !!!
Each to there own,,, but there is no way we would keep used TP in a basket !!!
so stirring the sh*t is better then disposing of TP in a plastic bag lined waste basket? OK...

Each to their own...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #37

We do not put toilet paper in our toilet system - never have and no problems - much the same in all of Mexico....

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #38

How do you use the detergent pods? I would be afraid of accidentally pushing one all the way in.
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasch View Post
We do not put toilet paper in our toilet system - never have and no problems - much the same in all of Mexico....
We are not in Mexico
Old 05-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #40

We have been putting toilet paper in our tv's for the past 30 years and never an issue. Adding about 3 gallons if water to the tank after it is emptied probably paid a big role in why no issues.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote