Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

TomTom - No GPS Signal

When I plot any kind of route the GPS looks for a GPS signal. It looks like no satellites are detected. It never shows where I actually am either. I have been through the settings but there is nothing available to help with this issue. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. The radio gets local radio stations and my phone connects via Bluetooth. I bought the RV used and I don’t think the previous owner ever used the GPS.
Thanks
Tom

Sony XAV-602BT radio
TomTom software (I think it's XA-NV300T)
2017 DX3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XAV-602BT_3D-source_screenfill.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	161669  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

Checked the antenna connection?
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Checked the antenna connection?
Travel safe
I don't know if this is your problem, but they had some software problems with the gps module on those radios. They may have removed the module because it interfered with the operation of the radio. That's what I did because I use a garmin gps and didn't need the one in the radio. If that's your problem ask BC about it, he knows about the issue and could possibly tell you how to get a new module.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Retired Army Paratrooper

Have you reset it with the reset button. We had similar issues we reset it and has worked fine since.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Commercial Member

The GPS issue was on the Xite radio, not the Sony (which has the TomTom). early on, the Navigation was optional...but the first place I would look is to see where the GPS antenna is. There should be a small black 1.5"x1.5" puck for the XM and one for the GPS.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

Tried to locate the antenna but could not find any access to the rear of the radio. Looking from the floor up is blocked by the plastic structure of the dash. I took off the front of the radio and used the reset button, but that did not solve the problem either. Do I have to take the entire dash apart to access the rear of the radio? I was short on time and did want to start ripping the dash apart.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Just look on the dash or the driver side A pillar. Do you see a little back square stuck on either?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The GPS issue was on the Xite radio, not the Sony (which has the TomTom). early on, the Navigation was optional...but the first place I would look is to see where the GPS antenna is. There should be a small black 1.5"x1.5" puck for the XM and one for the GPS.
Because GPS is an (expensive) add-on module with these radios, the first thing you need to determine is... is the GPS add-on actually added-on?

The GPS antenna location is also another factor. Behind the dash is not a good place but a favourite with lazy installers. On the top of the dash is OK, and better still, outside on the roof.

I had a u-beaut Alpine with GPS capabilities, but no module, so, no GPS.
I swapped to a cheap Chinese brand that has everything included, including GPS. Works like a treat and cost about a quarter of the big brands. Time will tell what it's life span is but I suspect it will outlast our stint with this truck.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom234 View Post
Tried to locate the antenna but could not find any access to the rear of the radio. Looking from the floor up is blocked by the plastic structure of the dash. I took off the front of the radio and used the reset button, but that did not solve the problem either. Do I have to take the entire dash apart to access the rear of the radio? I was short on time and did want to start ripping the dash apart.

Sometimes, the GPS antenna is under the dashboard cap which gives poor reception. You are looking for a little box that is the approx. size of a breakfast jelly pack (inverted) commonly used in restaurants. It should be an an antenna pad about 1.5" square. It is only connected to the head unit via an antenna lead to the back of the head unit.

Aside form not having a gps in your head unit, we have been in locals where their is virtually no reception. It is also very possible that if you have overhang above the windshield, the signal is blocked. That is one big problem in the Class C.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just look on the dash or the driver side A-pillar. Do you see a little back square stuck on either?
I have looked as you suggested but I do not see any device that looks like an antenna. I'm familiar with what you are describing.

A friend has one of those cable cameras. I'm going to see if I can borrow it and try to get a view of the back of the radio to see if anything is plugged in.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
Retired Army Paratrooper

just pull the radio out and look behind it. Only takes about 20 minutes to do this.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom234 View Post
I have looked as you suggested but I do not see any device that looks like an antenna. I'm familiar with what you are describing.

A friend has one of those cable cameras. I'm going to see if I can borrow it and try to get a view of the back of the radio to see if anything is plugged in.

Suggestions are welcome.
Take out the dash, pull out the radio (you'll probably have to do this anyway to disconnect the line to rerun it), trace the GPS antenna cable from the rear connection.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

Some head units have mounting screws behind the trim plate. Others snap into a housing and require special tools (or not) to remove. Along with your manuals, did you happen to see a couple of rigid wires or something similar that appeared to have no value? These are probably the head unit removal tools. These slip between either sides of the head unit and the mounting housing.

The Sony XAV-602bt head unit does not come standard with with a gps. There is an optional module and antenna. That is not to say yours doesn't have the option. Information below provides the gps kit if your head unit does not have it.

Should you determine that the Sony head unit lacks the gps, it may be a better option to replace the head unit with a newer GPS head unit. On my research, it does not appear that the gps unit you have is supported by updates. And, the cost of the add-on GPS may be equivalent to the price of an all new head unit. Replacing a head unit is plug and play. All of the hard work has been done. Or, just go with a stand alone GPS and leave what you have in place. Some things to consider..

Google "how to remove a sony xav-602bt from the dash". It will provide you with some insight about the unit and how to remove a head unit without the proper tools.

Some of the below info may help you.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=4#manual

Always know the way with GPS and TomTom®

One touch and you can be en route with fast, accurate navigation from the optional TomTom satnav module and external GPS antenna – on-the-spot traffic updates. Optional GPS module (XA-NV300T) and GPS module bundle kit (XNV-KT602) are available for TomTom navigation.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Some head units have mounting screws behind the trim plate. Others snap into a housing and require special tools (or not) to remove. Along with your manuals, did you happen to see a couple of rigid wires or something similar that appeared to have no value? These are probably the head unit removal tools. These slip between either sides of the head unit and the mounting housing.

The Sony XAV-602bt head unit does not come standard with with a gps. There is an optional module and antenna. That is not to say yours doesn't have the option. Information below provides the gps kit if your head unit does not have it.

Should you determine that the Sony head unit lacks the gps, it may be a better option to replace the head unit with a newer GPS head unit. On my research, it does not appear that the gps unit you have is supported by updates. And, the cost of the add-on GPS may be equivalent to the price of an all new head unit. Replacing a head unit is plug and play. All of the hard work has been done. Or, just go with a stand alone GPS and leave what you have in place. Some things to consider..

Google "how to remove a sony xav-602bt from the dash". It will provide you with some insight about the unit and how to remove a head unit without the proper tools.

Some of the below info may help you.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=4#manual

Always know the way with GPS and TomTom®

One touch and you can be en route with fast, accurate navigation from the optional TomTom satnav module and external GPS antenna – on-the-spot traffic updates. Optional GPS module (XA-NV300T) and GPS module bundle kit (XNV-KT602) are available for TomTom navigation.
I agree. Most after-sales GPS modules cost as much as the head unit, which is why I ripped out the Alpine and put in the Chinese knock-off. It was cheaper than a GPS add-on, bigger screen and more functionality, with GPS.