Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Tow bar system

Looking for suggestions on a tow bar system. Looking to flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a DX3. The local hitch shop is recommending the Roadmaster Nighthawk, with a Demco braking system. Does anyone have experience with this set up, or is there another brand I should consider ?
Thanks, Brian
BKUHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

Roadmaster and Blue Ox are the two largest and both are good. I have Blue Ox because I like the way the tow points remove and the tow base plate is almost completely out of sight.

Demco is good, I have the Demco Stay N Play. With air brakes on your rig, they should be quoting the Demco Air Force One which takes advantage of the air brakes.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #3

I use blue ox tow bar and RVI3 brake for towing 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #4

I tow a 2015 wrangler unlimited and use a Blue Ox Avail tow bar. My brake system is the M&G system and is hooked to the air brakes on the coach. Takes less than 5 minutes to connect the toad and nothing in the vehicle to insall or remove, just plug in the air line and go.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Consumer of Space

I tow a 2018 Grand Cherokee with a Blue Ox setup. I use a Roadmaster braking system that uses air pressure from the air brakes to actuate the brake pedal. A Roadmaster diode kit was used to tap into the rear lights and signals.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKUHN View Post
Looking for suggestions on a tow bar system. Looking to flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a DX3. The local hitch shop is recommending the Roadmaster Nighthawk, with a Demco braking system. Does anyone have experience with this set up, or is there another brand I should consider ?
Thanks, Brian
We use the Roadmaster Nighthawk, Roadmaster base plate and RVi3 braking system. Seems to work ok.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #7

We tow our 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar and Blue Ox tow pin/base plate system. Like “Milkman55” removable tow pins and base plate is pretty well concealed. Roadmaster offers a tow bar which works with Blue Ox tow pin/base plates. Have had no problems with either. Our braking system is RVI 3. Love this portable system, it installs in 5 minutes. RVI company has a whole system of products which display on a small Bluetooth tablet. Check it out.

Max&Mama
Max and Mama is offline   Reply With Quote