Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

Towed braking system

I've used a Brake Buddy for years. I want to move to either a simple mechanical system (NSA Ready Brake) or something built in like the Roadmaster or SMI. Opinions? Experience with these? Thanks.

a. Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Braking System

b. SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System - Proportional

c. ReadyBrake RB-4000 Towed Vehicle Receiver Style
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I've used a Brake Buddy for years. I want to move to either a simple mechanical system (NSA Ready Brake) or something built in like the Roadmaster or SMI. Opinions? Experience with these? Thanks.

a. Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Braking System

b. SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System - Proportional

c. ReadyBrake RB-4000 Towed Vehicle Receiver Style
Casey, I researched two of those but finally purchased an RVI Brake 3. It has a tablet and a "hub" that communicates with the brake controller and the tablet. I plan on adding the TPMS module to it soon. They have great customer service including technical support. I have two vehicles that I can tow and you can even change the sensitivity from the tablet as well as test the brakes on the towed vehicle.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Casey, I researched two of those but finally purchased an RVI Brake 3. It has a tablet and a "hub" that communicates with the brake controller and the tablet. I plan on adding the TPMS module to it soon. They have great customer service including technical support. I have two vehicles that I can tow and you can even change the sensitivity from the tablet as well as test the brakes on the towed vehicle.
I agree with the RVI Brake system. It was simple to set up and stores in its bag when we get to our camp site. I purchased the TPMS systems and can see each individual tire pressure on both my RV and Jeep on the tablet provided. You can set minimum and max pressure alerts as well. Casey you might look into this system. Feel free to call me if you like.

Paul
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

I have the Demco (SMI) Stay N Play and it has worked great. Nothing to store as it’s permenantly installed. Uses your power brakes as it has a compressor that keeps the power brakes active.

Just flip a switch under the dash and off you go. I installed it myself using YouTube videos and it was easy.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #5

I was seriously thinking built in but after listening to you guys and revisiting the RVI web site I decided I'd go that route. Basically no changes have to be made to my Jeep at all and with the smaller format of the RVI over the bulk of the Brake Buddy it should be easier to move around and store. And I can toss that big box BB in the trash. FYI RVI offers a 5% military discount. Thanks to all.

Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

Rvi 3, love it, and its simple. Great support as well
Old 02-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
X2. I have the same year/model Jeep you have and the system works great. For $50 I also added the small onboard charger that keeps the Jeep battery fully charged when towing.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Agreed. I tow a Jeep and have the same setup. It’s great!
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

I'm going to do the install today.
Thanks...
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 02-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
X2. I have the same year/model Jeep you have and the system works great. For $50 I also added the small onboard charger that keeps the Jeep battery fully charged when towing.
I agree..Simple and well worth it.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

My Jeep has air brakes

I set our Jeep up to use as a towed vehicle. Now, it has air brakes.

My son & I installed all the Roadmaster brackets for towing & electrical system harness, Hopkins, from eTrailer. Link Automotive in Nashville installed a M&G air brake system in Oct.

An air line from Jeep hooks to the Dynamax Grand Sport GT air system via the "glad hand" installed at the factory.

When I hit the air brake pedal on the coach, the air pressure activates the Jeep's brakes. That's it....no electricity involved. There is also a pressure cylinder to activate the Jeep's brakes should a disconnect failure ever occur. Such a failure is so remote, it is not even on my radar screen. But Hey, it's covered !

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #12

Roadmaster InvisiBrake

We're towed with the InvisiBrake for 45K miles and love it. The installation is a bit more complicated, but the setup for towing is quick & easy.

It seems like there are several good braking systems on the market & everyone is pretty happy with the product they have. What ever you buy make sure you get a supplemental battery charging kit for the towed.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #13

I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 system on my DX3 to tow our 4WD Silverado and it works perfectly. It's lightweight & just takes a couple of minutes to hook up. I found it on Ebay for under $200 w/o the floor plate so I make a simple bracket which I attached to the seat base. I permanently mounted a stainless steel female disconnect on the DX3 bumper bracket & its mate on the front of the PU. The really small quick disconnect that comes on the Brakemaster unit is made by Parker.

I bought a 2nd system on Ebay for under $75 as a backup. The air cylinder is a std stainless steel 1-1/2" bore unit made by Bimba which should never give any problems. For any RV that has air brakes, this is the way to go.
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have the Demco (SMI) Stay N Play and it has worked great. Nothing to store as it’s permenantly installed. Uses your power brakes as it has a compressor that keeps the power brakes active.

Just flip a switch under the dash and off you go. I installed it myself using YouTube videos and it was easy.
X2 on this system... used it on my 30FW on trip to Phoenix by way of Tn and back, 20deg to 90 deg and no problems. Changed coach to Dx3 and just plugged it in, flipped the switch, and off I drove.😎
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #15

I just got the NSA ReadyBrake system and it works great. No electricity involved and was able to install the whole system in about one hour.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 AM   #16
Consumer of Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Arrow View Post
I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 system on my DX3 to tow our 4WD Silverado and it works perfectly. It's lightweight & just takes a couple of minutes to hook up. I found it on Ebay for under $200 w/o the floor plate so I make a simple bracket which I attached to the seat base. I permanently mounted a stainless steel female disconnect on the DX3 bumper bracket & its mate on the front of the PU. The really small quick disconnect that comes on the Brakemaster unit is made by Parker.

I bought a 2nd system on Ebay for under $75 as a backup. The air cylinder is a std stainless steel 1-1/2" bore unit made by Bimba which should never give any problems. For any RV that has air brakes, this is the way to go.
I use the same system on our 4Runner and agree that its a no brainer when your tow vehicle has air brakes.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
X2. I'm using Blue Ox for towing plus RVi Brake with their towed vehicle breakaway and charging systems.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #18

charger needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Hey great thread...researching myself to make a 07 wrangler into a toad. Is the battery charger needed? I like the RVI set up as I'm not sure this will be permanent but don't want to get nickle and dimed...the invisibrake comes with a battery tender...
yogiandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiandlisa View Post
Hey great thread...researching myself to make a 07 wrangler into a toad. Is the battery charger needed? I like the RVI set up as I'm not sure this will be permanent but don't want to get nickle and dimed...the invisibrake comes with a battery tender...
Readybrake doesn’t use any electrical at all.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiandlisa View Post
The main reason you need a battery charger on a TOAD is because you have to leave the ignition key on to keep the steering wheel lock off. Wranglers don't have steering wheel locks so you key is not on and therefore you are not discharging your battery except for the little bit your brake device may use to pump up it's small reservoir again after braking. I've towed 5 Jeeps over the years never needed a battery charger, never had a battery problem from towing the Jeeps.
Days camped 2021 = 25