Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome1 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I am looking for a replacement bumper that I could attach either a blue ox or a Roadmaster to. Not many around for Rubicon 2018 JL. The one you mention on amazon is only for a JK model. Anyone any suggestions? I’m assuming I could fit a Roadmaster baseplate with the existing bumper?
Lot's of the third party guys are already building for the JL. I have a nice skid plate on the front of mine, it protects the torsion bar auto disconnect and doubles and a base plate for my Falcon tow bar. Don't know if they make one for the JL yet.

I used this from Currie and it works great for me: http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Enterpr.../dp/B003EM5CZY

And there are lots of suppliers for the JL busy making parts, start here: 4wheelparts.com
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #22

Looks like blue ox has already adapted it. Would be a good option for the stock bumper. https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...18/BX1139.html

Otherwise aftermarket bumper with WELDED d-rings or attachment points lol.

I think Schulz01 has a bumper that actually had tow bar mount points built in. He’s got a thread around here somewhere about it
Old 06-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #23

I can get this bumper from Warn, it's part number is 101337. They retail for $879.00, my cost is $725.00, "D" rings are $20.00 for a pair (get them powder coated to match your Jeep)

If I can help you, let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	176402  
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Lot's of the third party guys are already building for the JL. I have a nice skid plate on the front of mine, it protects the torsion bar auto disconnect and doubles and a base plate for my Falcon tow bar. Don't know if they make one for the JL yet.

I used this from Currie and it works great for me: http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Enterpr.../dp/B003EM5CZY

And there are lots of suppliers for the JL busy making parts, start here: 4wheelparts.com
Sorry about that, one reason I bought a used like new 2010 JK in 2012 so I could hack the ECU and install a Supercharger...the newer Jeep JL's will be a year or so catching up to part availability and the prices will be steep as well...and hacks as well...beautiful ride though!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #25

Only other thing I will mention is that with a lower tow bar (below bumper) it is actually better fit for Dynamax Units...on the bumper it self (D-Rings or Pad Eyes) will be really high for the Dynamax hitch and they (the tow bars) are actually suppose to be within like an inch up/down of being level when flat towing...
Old 06-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #26

I believe Shultz has Rock Hard 4x4 bumper for his new wrangler.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #27

Heh ive got a whole thread detailing the height saga

A stock height or slightly lifted Jeep should be a lot simpler
Old 06-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #28

Double check the below with your owner's manual - I had thought I read somewhere that the new 2018 wranglers had some changes in the transmission - but I could also have imagined it, since I can't find it anywhere now......

We have a 2016 "75th" anniv edition, so welcome to the jeep tow club! My DH waited about 9 months to make some "modifications".....and now he's plotting the next ones!

Garren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
He's about to find out... LOL

Just Empty Every Pocket!

Oh and btw, there is a certain way to flat tow. READ THIS!

How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
Set Parking Brake
Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
Start the engine.
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.
Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
Release the parking brake.
Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!

Note: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited JK. The bumper face bar can be damaged. You can shop all the bumpers we sell here
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #29

Towing Jeep Wrangler

Hello All. Sorry, just checking the forum today. Yep, I got the Rock Hard aluminum bumper. They sell attachment points for Blue Ox and Roadmaster that bolt on with the bumper. D-rings are okay for safety chains, but not for towing. You can buy everything from Quadratec.com. They have the red powder coated D-rings too.

Even easier to tow with the new JL because of the push button start. Transfer case in neutral, trans in Park or 2nd gear and away you go. The power port in the rear is always powered. I got an extension to run to the front for my RVi Brake.

Top circle is the Blue Ox attachment point. Bottom circle is where 8 added the 6 pin connector. The breakaway I attach the brush bar light mount only when towing...it’s easy enough to run back to the interior. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	176406
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #30

Quote:
I can get this bumper from Warn, it's part number is 101337. They retail for $879.00, my cost is $725.00, "D" rings are $20.00 for a pair (get them powder coated to match your Jeep)

If I can help you, let me know
That is an awesome offer. Jump at it. Very kind of you Mark.

Just don't buy the Smittybilt stubby bumper. I know, I have one. Enough said.

Flat towing from the front bumper is the way to go (my opinion. take it for what its worth).

Great looking ride. You are going to love that jeep.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Sorry about that, one reason I bought a used like new 2010 JK in 2012 so I could hack the ECU and install a Supercharger...the newer Jeep JL's will be a year or so catching up to part availability and the prices will be steep as well...and hacks as well...beautiful ride though!
Just so it was said.... don't waste your money on a supercharger. About every engine I've had has been supercharged but when I installed a supercharger on my 3.6, it lasted less than 6 months before I couldn't take it any more and did the 6.4 swap.

The supercharger was producing just over 400 HP but it didn't have the torque I wanted. I was told by multiple people not to do it because they did the exact same, installed a supercharger and went V8 in less than a year.

Mark
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Just so it was said.... don't waste your money on a supercharger. About every engine I've had has been supercharged but when I installed a supercharger on my 3.6, it lasted less than 6 months before I couldn't take it any more and did the 6.4 swap.

The supercharger was producing just over 400 HP but it didn't have the torque I wanted. I was told by multiple people not to do it because they did the exact same, installed a supercharger and went V8 in less than a year.

Mark
Yes sir, you more than likely installed a Supercharger that wasn't inter-cooled, the Magnuson is inter-cooled and very reliable, the low rpm torque is great and an additional 80hp, I have had it on for 50,000 miles already, changed gearing to 4.56's, added tranny cooler, oversized disc brakes slotted and drilled and oversized Master Cylinder with dual piston calipers, Teraflex front end...and it will haul the mail and also tow a 3000# trailer at 80mph on cruise control

Installed it alone in my garage about 8 hrs work...Paid $4780 shipped to my door proto-type one of the last ones to ship out of the first 10 units...

BIGGEST hold back is the 4 speed auto tranny and using Premium Fuel...if it was 5 speed it would do even better...

P.S. Kept the weight down, didn't add ANY heavy ***** bumpers or heavy Jeep jewelry to weigh it down...the tires and wheels weigh 5 lbs lighter than stock wheels each (less rotational mass)...

"Weight kills stock Jeeps" and then HUGE tires and wheels that weigh 100 lbs each completes the death of todays Jeeps, they can't hardly move out of their tracks...
Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #33

Guess it depends on where you’re headed with your Jeep. My 130lb wheel/tire combo aren’t going to win any drag races but they come in handy all the time. 5.13 gears, 6 spd MT and stock 3.6 work great for me

Old 06-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #34

[QUOTE=FOURWHL;1845223]Guess it depends on where you’re headed with your Jeep. My 130lb wheel/tire combo aren’t going to win any drag races but they come in handy all the time. 5.13 gears, 6 spd MT and stock 3.6 work great for me

Yes sir for crawling thats a great setup, but mine's on the highway 99% of the time with cruise control set on 80mph, I did do some climbing in Arkansas at the old mine called the Pit, Blue Hole, the Mine, etc...it did great on the stock suspension but I took my time, surprisingly it did well in Colorado over all the water barred roads as well, never have bottomed out yet, really surprised me at some of the places I went, they are awesome machines I can ONLY imagine what yours is capable of!

Set mine up to pull a trailer as well, was thinking about getting a VRV for short ATV/UTV trips...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes sir, you more than likely installed a Supercharger that wasn't inter-cooled, the Magnuson is inter-cooled and very reliable, the low rpm torque is great and an additional 80hp, I have had it on for 50,000 miles already, changed gearing to 4.56's, added tranny cooler, oversized disc brakes slotted and drilled and oversized Master Cylinder with dual piston calipers, Teraflex front end...and it will haul the mail and also tow a 3000# trailer at 80mph on cruise control

Installed it alone in my garage about 8 hrs work...Paid $4780 shipped to my door proto-type one of the last ones to ship out of the first 10 units...

BIGGEST hold back is the 4 speed auto tranny and using Premium Fuel...if it was 5 speed it would do even better...

P.S. Kept the weight down, didn't add ANY heavy ***** bumpers or heavy Jeep jewelry to weigh it down...the tires and wheels weigh 5 lbs lighter than stock wheels each (less rotational mass)...

"Weight kills stock Jeeps" and then HUGE tires and wheels that weigh 100 lbs each completes the death of todays Jeeps, they can't hardly move out of their tracks...

No, mine was intercooled. It was a sprintex stage II. Produced just over 400 HP.

I drive mine on the highway probably a ton more than most. My Jeep is a 2017 and has over 30K miles. I only live 8 miles from work and have two other vehicles so that’s a lot of driving considering.

I guess we all different expectations of what power we want our sheeps to have. For me, it’s a Jeep, I’m not drag racing it but on the trails and on the highway, the torque is always there.

Mark
Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Hello All. Sorry, just checking the forum today. Yep, I got the Rock Hard aluminum bumper. They sell attachment points for Blue Ox and Roadmaster that bolt on with the bumper. D-rings are okay for safety chains, but not for towing. You can buy everything from Quadratec.com. They have the red powder coated D-rings too.

Even easier to tow with the new JL because of the push button start. Transfer case in neutral, trans in Park or 2nd gear and away you go. The power port in the rear is always powered. I got an extension to run to the front for my RVi Brake.

Top circle is the Blue Ox attachment point. Bottom circle is where 8 added the 6 pin connector. The breakaway I attach the brush bar light mount only when towing...it’s easy enough to run back to the interior. Attachment 176406
+1 on the Rock Hard 4x4 recommendation. That's what I put on my 2017 JK, it's been working great. I also use the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #37

Quote:
No, mine was intercooled. It was a sprintex stage II. Produced just over 400 HP.

I drive mine on the highway probably a ton more than most. My Jeep is a 2017 and has over 30K miles. I only live 8 miles from work and have two other vehicles so that’s a lot of driving considering.

I guess we all different expectations of what power we want our sheeps to have. For me, it’s a Jeep, I’m not drag racing it but on the trails and on the highway, the torque is always there.

Mark
Looked it up, very nice setup Mark, but the charts say only 302hp maximum for that charger on a 3.6L...what does the 6.4 put to the ground?
http://sprintexusa.com/wp-content/up...r3_6_12-14.pdf
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #38

So, today, I ordered the Rock Hard aluminum bumper for JL, Roadmaster tow plates, Roadmaster Nighthawk and a RVI brake controller. I decided on these based on not having to permanently modify the Jeep. I now need some advice on an electrical harness for rear lights. I’m having difficulty on getting info/availability on anything for JL wrangler.
Thanks to everyone for your great advice.
WOW !! This is worse than a boat for emptying your wallet.
Bob
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #39

We have a rock hard 4x4 on our 2004 TJ. Have towed it over 5,000 miles with a blue on tow bar. Works great. Dropped the stock bumper off at the Junk Yard a year ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529458156.142211.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	176589
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Looked it up, very nice setup Mark, but the charts say only 302hp maximum for that charger on a 3.6L...what does the 6.4 put to the ground?
http://sprintexusa.com/wp-content/up...r3_6_12-14.pdf

Actually that is the sprintex stage I kit. I had the stage II which they no longer produce. It’s an add’l 60-80 HP depending on pulley setup.

I liked it, I just wanted more torque.

A crate SRT 6.4 produces 485HP. When sold through AEV, the kit produces 405 HP. They detune it because it’ll break axles, etc. the tune is less and they use 5.7 intake and exhaust.

I had mine returned and bumped up to approx. 450 HP. AEV says that you lose 28-30% drivetrain loss with 40” tires (and mine are 15.5” wide)

I’ve been talking to Magnuson about a supercharger for it but I really just wanted beads and cam for nothing but sound.

Like I said, it’s not a race vehicle, I just want the torque when passing and pulling out in traffic. With bumpers, winches, steps and hardtops (and I’m in the process of installing Dana 60’s), you need the extra HP to move that thing.. even with 5.13 gears. Lol

Mark

Tags
towing