Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #1

Towing Trailer with Isata 3

I am about to embark on a trip in my 2020 Isata 3 which will be different from all other trips so far. I will be towing an Aluma, tandem axle trailer (model 7814R) with a Polaris Ranger 570-4 Midsize Crew UTV and two kayaks. I have added a brake controller to the Isata and TPMS sensors to the 4 trailer tires. The receiver hitch has a built in tongue weight gauge. The trailer weighs 1100lbs.and the UTV weighs 1400Lbs.. I have reduced weight on the Isata by replacing house and chassis batteries with Lithium, removed the spare tire carrier, and I intend to have all water tanks empty with the exception of a small amount (less than 1/3) in the fresh water tank. I should be about 2,000 lbs. under the GCWR. The trip is from central Texas to West Yellowstone, going up through Denver to Cheyenne and then west to Idaho . The trip back will be south thru Utah and over to 70, crossing Colorado and then back down 25 and over to Texas Panhandle. Does anyone have experience towing with the Isata 3? Any advice or suggestions? I am allowing for lots of time, reserved pull though spots only, and will keep speed at 60-65 max.. Have I lost my mind?

Thanks

Battchief
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2500 lbs in tow vehicle? I don't think you'll have any issues, I see people pulling jeep wrangles (4k) all day long.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battchief View Post
I am about to embark on a trip in my 2020 Isata 3 which will be different from all other trips so far. I will be towing an Aluma, tandem axle trailer (model 7814R) with a Polaris Ranger 570-4 Midsize Crew UTV and two kayaks. I have added a brake controller to the Isata and TPMS sensors to the 4 trailer tires. The receiver hitch has a built in tongue weight gauge. The trailer weighs 1100lbs.and the UTV weighs 1400Lbs.. I have reduced weight on the Isata by replacing house and chassis batteries with Lithium, removed the spare tire carrier, and I intend to have all water tanks empty with the exception of a small amount (less than 1/3) in the fresh water tank. I should be about 2,000 lbs. under the GCWR. The trip is from central Texas to West Yellowstone, going up through Denver to Cheyenne and then west to Idaho . The trip back will be south thru Utah and over to 70, crossing Colorado and then back down 25 and over to Texas Panhandle. Does anyone have experience towing with the Isata 3? Any advice or suggestions? I am allowing for lots of time, reserved pull though spots only, and will keep speed at 60-65 max.. Have I lost my mind?

Thanks

Battchief
I pull a 10’ enclosed trailer with a 900# harley inside along with a lot of camping gear, a wagon, fire logs, log splitter, tools and so on. It’s been to California and back, Wyoming and back twice, and am leaving tomorrow for Wyoming again. I’ve pulled many mountain passes including, Beartooth Pass, Dead Indian Pass, and wolf Creek with no problems. Enjoy your trip, you should not have any problems.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

By the way, when I leave Cody Wyoming in route to my campsite I top off fuel, propane, and fresh water. I take Chief Joseph over Dead Indian Pass to Hunter Peak. I boon dock for 5 weeks at a Forrest Service Campground with no hook ups, water or cell phone service so I have to have everything full when I get there. I take it easy over the pass and keep an eye on my RPMs and water temperature. I use lower gears when descending as well to not overwork the brakes as my trailer does not have brakes. You’ll be fine.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Thanks Bill and Brian, reassurance reduces concerns. My trailer does have electric brakes but I will take it easy on the passes. BTW , the lithium chassis battery took 45 lbs off and Mercedes has had me bring in twice so they could evaluate how it is holding up. So far they are as amazed as I am. Of course the BattleB house batteries and solar panels are great as well and help on boondocking.

Thanks

Battchief
Old 07-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks

Battchief
I'm one of the ones pulling a 4,500 lb Wrangler with no problems at all (30K Miles). You won't have any difficulties at all and plus you can back up without disconnecting, I wish I could.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #7

I easily towed a 3620 lb HONDA CR-V with a Roadmaster All-Terrain hitch with my 2019 Isata 3. I allowed myself 4,000 lbs. to stay within towing capacities. I also had TPMS and proportional braking systems. MPG when towing was 12-14 in hilly conditions. 16+ MPG when not towing.
I'm hanging up the RV keys and selling the Isata.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks

Battchief
I've towed a Jeep Liberty which weighs 4000# empty over Wolf Creek pass in Colorado without any issues with my 2018 Isata 3 RW. We did have some clothing in it but not much else. I would think you would have any issues in your situation.
chrisplan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #9

Update: As usual, the advice given was spot on . 3728 miles with avg mpg 13.3 towing trailer and UTV. (276 miles put on UTV). No issues with Isata 3 , trailer or Ranger. Electric trailer brakes were very helpful. According to built in hitch gauge, tongue weight was 175 lbs which is on light side but trailer tracked perfectly. The only downside was the nice temps in the 8 states visited are now a memory as we swelter in the Texas Hill Country.

Battchief

Tags
towing, trailer