Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

TPMS

I’d like to get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for Christmas for us and wanted to know suggestions. We have an 2018 Isata 3 24 FW plus a Jeep toad and wanted to know what you all suggest. TIA
Bethey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #2

My TST 507 system has been utterly reliable and easy to use.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Another vote for the TST.
I have cap sensors and the system has worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

TST 507 has the versatility to handles all of the tires on several vehicles (toad) at the same time or separately. I have the flow-thru sensors but IF I bought again I would just get the cap sensors.

Technorv has them on sale I believe

https://www.technorv.com/private-bla...c0223e68310bb1

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
All Around Hoser

On a budget? Amazon has a four tire set under $100.
Check it out.

And there are even cheaper ones!

I’ve just started looking into this and I see the 507 mentioned earlier are well respected and the $368.00 is a decent price.

Anti theft and waterproof sensors might be a good idea, as well as a strong long range signal.

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #6

TST-507-FT-6-C, love it!!!

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethey View Post
I’d like to get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for Christmas for us and wanted to know suggestions. We have an 2018 Isata 3 24 FW plus a Jeep toad and wanted to know what you all suggest. TIA

Whatever you get use anti-seize compound on the threads of the valve stems.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaFog View Post
On a budget? Amazon has a four tire set under $100.
Check it out.

And there are even cheaper ones!

I’ve just started looking into this and I see the 507 mentioned earlier are well respected and the $368.00 is a decent price.

Anti theft and waterproof sensors might be a good idea, as well as a strong long range signal.

Another TST 507 owner. Haven't had a problem with them and over 25K miles towing. I removed the "anti-theft" caps. I found I could fairly easily remove the sensor with the cap on by simply getting a finger under the sensor. Makes taking them off to add air a simple job.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

I really wanted one and can't justify the TST price (after all the other accessories I've bought), so I got this one and have been pleased with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-TPMS-S...e%2C179&sr=1-3

I have a single axle trailer and used one of the rear sensors for my spare.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #10

TST 507 here as well. 5 years in and never an issue. Customer support has been great as well. I upgraded a couple of years ago to the current color screen monitor. Not because of any issues with the original one, just because I wanted the more vivid display.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Whatever you get use anti-seize compound on the threads of the valve stems.
Bobby,

Just wondering why this recommendation?
Have you had issues?

I don't recall reading anything in any of the forums I visit about a galding problem and I can't recall the manufacturer recommending this.

I can also see someone using too much and it getting inside the sensor.

Mine have come off easily the FEW times I removed them. I say FEW because they came off to have the Goodyears put on and then this past summer for new batteries. I had no issues removing them twice in 4 years.

I've also found removing them to add/check air has become nonexistent. My tires don't lose air and I easily check pressures every trip by simply looking at the monitor.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #12

I bought the EEZ TPMS with 10 sensors back when I owned our Isata 3. We have TPMS built in with the RAM chassis on the Isata 5.

If you do not have metal stems on your inside dual wheel, that will be something you will need to change for the TPMS sensor to work properly.

https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...-10-anti-theft
milkman55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Bobby,

Have you had issues?

I don't recall reading anything in any of the forums I visit about a galding problem and I can't recall the manufacturer recommending this.

Mine have come off easily the FEW times I removed them. I say FEW because they came off to have the Goodyears put on and then this past summer for new batteries. I had no issues removing them twice in 4 years.

I've also found removing them to add/check air has become nonexistent. My tires don't lose air and I easily check pressures every trip by simply looking at the monitor.
I’ve seen corrosion problems with all TPMs systems. On the factory ones especially. The valve caps will corrode so badly that the stems break off when trying to remove the caps.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #14

I have the EEZ system for XL and Jeep. Had to use a repeater to reach the Jeep. System works great.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #15

We use the RVI Tire Patrol, it uses the same tablet as the RVI brake unit we have. So far it has been a great system, all in one. It also has a battery charger for the toad you can add and monitor with the tablet. Just another option. Colorado company, they are great with support.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #16

I know valve cap corrosion is a big deal on today’s vehicles. I had a Dodge Caliber come in to my shop to have the tires pressures adjusted. Well 4 hours later, all new in the wheel sensors I finished the job. When screwing the caps off the valve would come apart. I had to order the new sensors from the local Dodge dealer. Anyway I now always add a little silicon grease to the threads of the stem when placing caps on.. It seems the aluminized metal caps react with the brass valve stem threads.
I think most TPMS sensors are brass threads but a little silicon grease will not hurt. I suppose never seize wouldn’t either as long as no contamination inside the sensor. Silicon is plastic safe and no petroleum to contaminate the sensors.....
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I’ve seen corrosion problems with all TPMs systems. On the factory ones especially. The valve caps will corrode so badly that the stems break off when trying to remove the caps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I know valve cap corrosion is a big deal on today’s vehicles. I had a Dodge Caliber come in to my shop to have the tires pressures adjusted. Well 4 hours later, all new in the wheel sensors I finished the job. When screwing the caps off the valve would come apart. I had to order the new sensors from the local Dodge dealer. Anyway I now always add a little silicon grease to the threads of the stem when placing caps on.. It seems the aluminized metal caps react with the brass valve stem threads.
I think most TPMS sensors are brass threads but a little silicon grease will not hurt. I suppose never seize wouldn’t either as long as no contamination inside the sensor. Silicon is plastic safe and no petroleum to contaminate the sensors.....
So do these factory 'in wheel' sensors have something other than a plastic cap on them?

I own three vehicles with in wheel sensors and all three have plastic valve stem caps. No corrosion to the plastic that I can tell.

My trailer wheels have chromed valve stems and I have had zero corrosion reaction with the TPMS sensors.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
So do these factory 'in wheel' sensors have something other than a plastic cap on them?

I own three vehicles with in wheel sensors and all three have plastic valve stem caps. No corrosion to the plastic that I can tell.

My trailer wheels have chromed valve stems and I have had zero corrosion reaction with the TPMS sensors.

The wheel sensors have a brass type metal inside for the threads. They would have to be on for extended amount of time to cause issues.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Bobby,

Have you had issues?

Yes, I had expensive problems. Two of the sensors were stuck on the valve stems. I Couldn’t get them off. They were fused to the stems.

Ford Mechanic working on one got hit in his face while he was removing the stem. Luckily his glasses saved him. He didn’t know that the ProMaster had internal sensors. I had it there for PA state inspection. I was standing next to him, it was like a shot. During the process the internal factory pressure sensor broke. I had to buy a new factory internal sensor. It took awhile to get one.

Dodge mechanic , in Delaware was able to get the other TST sensor off without ruining the Dodge internal sensor. Deflated the tire to avoid another shot. Of course I made a huge point of warning him before he touched it.

BTW, research at that time indicated that aftermarket sensors were not reliable at best and wouldn’t work in most cases. I waited for the factory sensors to become available and endured the dashboard warnings.

My wife will do me harm if I put the TST’S back on. They were a nice convenience.

I contacted TST for guidance before I had it at Ford but crickets after the original contact. And no response to follow up.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 AM   #20
Site Team

I encounter TPMS sensors all day every day in my tire line of work. Many of the problems are caused by galvanic corrosion, where the wrong type valve cores and/or valve caps have been installed on TPMS units with an aluminum barrel somewhere in the process.....whether at the original manufacturer or when replaced afterwards. Using brass or steel on an aluminum stem barrel is a problem.

These articles may help in the understanding of this:

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/...e-tpms-killer/

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tpm...-snapped-stem/

https://www.tirereview.com/common-tp...s-and-answers/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms