Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

TPMS in Alcoa wheels

Alright M2 users, who’s got TPMS installed and what did you do to get the sensors to fit? Any pics appreciated and would love to know what brand.

Every time I look at them I get all ready to roll then as soon as I realize I’ll likley need to mess around with extenders and such I end up losing steam and deciding not to mess with / over complicate a system that’s working. I think it’s time I bite the bullet and stop tempting fate as I’m religious about checking pressure before leaving on a trip but definitely not great about doing it in progress or upon departure.

Looking at TST or Eeztire but open to suggestions. Really whichever involves the least amount of new failure points intoduced will be best.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

I put the Crossfire stuff on the rear duals. Makes it easy at a glance to know if your pressure is correct or dropped. Plus, the right crossfire unit has the extra valve spots so you can still put separate TPMS sensors on each wheel. And, there is a 3rd valve stem that is easy to reach and allows you to air up both tires simultaneously w/o removing the sensors. The cross fire takes about 20 minutes to install on each side and you don't need to bother with leaky stem extensions, etc.

The fronts obviously are an easy screw-on. You can get the air though sensors so you dont need to remove them to add air.

I use the TST brand because they include a nice color monitor.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

I was considering that avenue as well. Thanks Randy
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #4

Using the ones from rvibrake since I already had their tablet.

I had trouble with the sensors on the rear inner tires which I believe were caused by the valve stem extensions. I ended up removing them altogether. It's a bit of a pain to install/tighten the inner sensors now, but they work great.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

So you’ve got the sensors directly on both of the rear valve stems? Understand the PITA it will cause filling but that’s still encouraging.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Yes...sensors directly on all rear valve stems. Both extensions have been removed. Both caused issues with the sensors, and the one on the passenger side was leaking (I previously had to tighten both of them).
Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #7

Heh yeah that’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid. More maintenance/inspection items when I’m trying to reduce things that can go wrong lol
Old 06-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

I have the TST system, it works fine with no mods. I just put a sensor on each valve stem, I didn't remove extensions. No muss, no fuss.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I have the TST system, it works fine with no mods. I just put a sensor on each valve stem, I didn't remove extensions. No muss, no fuss.
Good to hear! How is it taking the outer duallies on/off for filling?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Good to hear! How is it taking the outer duallies on/off for filling?
It's a little tricky but not a big deal. I don't do it very often - I just set the pressures cold and run it. Based on what I'm seeing on the monitor, they hold pressure great.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

Okay, I have an Isata 3 with the Alcoa wheels and I am really confused about tpm. I own a truck and a car where the tpm is mounted inside the tire, but y’all are talking about mounting on the valve stem. I have extensions on the inner rears and if I take those off in order to install a tpm then it would be really hard for this old man to get to that inner tire. I plead ignorance. Please help.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

These after market ones just go on the end of the valve stem
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
Consumer of Space

I have internal sensors in all tires and the TST system. I had a local commercial tire shop add the sensors, which are attached to the inside of the rim with what looks like massive hose clamps. At the same time I had them add equal flex to the tires and hook up the crossfire system. Now I have accurate temperature and pressure readings for each wheel shroud the system have a slow leak and crossfire keeps the inner and outer wheels at similar pressure. It wasn't cheap, but I'm happy with the results.

Side note, when running 70 mph down the freeway, the inner passenger side tire can run 15 degrees hotter than the outside, even at the same temperature. This is presumably from the exhaust. The inner tire on the driver side is closer to 10 degrees hotter than the outside at the same temperature. I've never seen any tire exceed 120 degrees...
Old 06-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #14

Wow yeah I can’t imagine that was cheap but definitely sounds like a slick setup. Something I’ll keep in mind for new tire time for sure

For now I ordered the TST setup and will see how that goes. Prob will add crossfire at some point too.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post

I did the same. I get false warnings from time to time, no signal, usually just retighten the sensor or resettle battery.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms, wheel