Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Site Team

Question TPMS Used In The Isata3

I'm looking at TPMS options for our new 2400Q Sunseeker, the Isata3's poor cousin , and would like to know what Dynamax is currently using in the Isata3.

I've previously used a TST 507, with flow thru and regular caps, and a Dill internal system. I see that TST offers a internal banded sensor option.

Has anyone used the TST internal sensors with the stock Sprinter wheels? And if I upgrade to Alcoa wheels will it work with them as well? I know the Dill internal system will work with the OEM wheels but is not recommended for use with the Alcoas.

I already have one piece valve stems from DuallyValves sitting on my desk. If I'm going to go internal I want to do that at the same time as the new valve stems.

Thanks,
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Commercial Member

We used TST with the cap sensor to start....but felt like the banded sensor would work better and be easier for a customer to add or subtract air. So we have changed over to that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought you had went to banded but couldn't find that post.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #4

My Isata 3 24FWM has a recall to replace the cap sensors with branded sensors. When I contacted TST about the sensor battery life, they told me 2-3 years, but the battery is not replaceable! So every 2-3 years you must replace each sensor at $79, plus the cost of installing the sensor. I dont see how the banded sensor system is better when you will need to spend $480 for new sensors every 2-3 year. In addition, probably another $300+ for labor to demount the tires, replace the sensors, remount the tires and potentially rebalance the tires as well. I am seriously considering foregoing the recall if the main reason was to make it easier to add air to the tires. Is there any additional reasons for the recall?
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Air leaks. They were not indexing the valve stems properly...so they were too close together and you physically could not get the caps off with the security tool. Also, for some reason, Mercedes puts a plastic extension on their vehicles for shipping. I think some caps might have been attached to those. In theory, possible, but not ideal.

So, I think we made this a TSB and not a recall. So, its up to you. If they are indexed properly, installed properly, then you are welcome to use what you like.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We used TST with the cap sensor to start....but felt like the banded sensor would work better and be easier for a customer to add or subtract air. So we have changed over to that.
I have a 2019 Isata 24FW and was not aware of factory installed TSP systems. We have aluminum wheels and added fill-through caps that combine with our towed Honda CR-V Michelin tires.
The valve stems on the rear duallys were not aligned properly at the factory and it made checking the air pressure manually nearly impossible. We purchased braided extenders and rotated the tires so the TSP caps could both work.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
My Isata 3 24FWM has a recall to replace the cap sensors with branded sensors. When I contacted TST about the sensor battery life, they told me 2-3 years, but the battery is not replaceable! So every 2-3 years you must replace each sensor at $79, plus the cost of installing the sensor. I dont see how the banded sensor system is better when you will need to spend $480 for new sensors every 2-3 year. In addition, probably another $300+ for labor to demount the tires, replace the sensors, remount the tires and potentially rebalance the tires as well. I am seriously considering foregoing the recall if the main reason was to make it easier to add air to the tires. Is there any additional reasons for the recall?
Lifetime of only 2-3 years must be a mistake. Lifetime on the OEM banded sensors for GM vehicles (the only one I looked into) is quoted at 10 years.

The first one on our 2006 GMC Yukon XL tow vehicle failed early this year, a lifetime of 13 years. The first one on our 2006 Tahoe failed last month, also a lifetime of 13 years. There are dozens of third-parties making internal sensors to this specification.

Hint: Buying automotive sensors from the dealer will cost you about $90 plus installation--and they might be stale. Careful shopping on eBay will get you four for $50-60. Installation of the sensors you bring in, including mounting and balancing is $20 per wheel at Discount Tire.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Larry, you are correct. 2-3 years was a mistake. I looked at my email from TST Systems customer service, and they say their sensor battery in their banded sensor will last 3-4 years, not 2-3 years I stated in my post. I suspect that OEM sensors will not work with their system, but I havent verified that yet. So a $79/TST banded sensor + $20/ installation per tire x 6 tires is still nearly $700 every 3-4 years. I can replace the six batteries in the cap type sensors for under $20 total myself.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #9

I contacted TST customer service today (Saturday) and received a reply already! Their TPMS system uses proprietary sensors, so OEM sensors will not work. Not too many companies answer customer service requests on a weekend!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I think we pay roughly $100 to break down all (6), add the bands AND metal valve extensions. I'm sure the bands will get cheaper as well as they are more prevalent.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Just a thought about managing internal sensor failures. If an internal sensor fails you could delete that sensor and add a TST external sensor in it's place. The dash display unit will program / read either type. I'm going to carry a couple of my old external sensors in my spare parts just in case I ever need a "work around".

Note: I'm having one piece metal valve stems from DuallyValve installed as well so the plastic extender issue isn't a problem for me.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #12

I have the metal valves from Dually Valve on my inside rear. I already had metal valves on my aluminum outer wheels. I used the EZZTire TPMS system for the past 2 1/2 years on our Isata 3 without issue. Also have sensors for the Toad as well. They are external sensors but have worked well. Changed batteries one time about six months ago, so they went two years on a set of batteries.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

Your idea to carry some of the cap type sensors as a backup to internal sensors is a great idea, and has me reconsidering installing the internal sensors. With the internal sensors, do you require the repeater in order to receive the sensor signal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Just a thought about managing internal sensor failures. If an internal sensor fails you could delete that sensor and add a TST external sensor in it's place. The dash display unit will program / read either type. I'm going to carry a couple of my old external sensors in my spare parts just in case I ever need a "work around".

Note: I'm having one piece metal valve stems from DuallyValve installed as well so the plastic extender issue isn't a problem for me.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Your idea to carry some of the cap type sensors as a backup to internal sensors is a great idea, and has me reconsidering installing the internal sensors. With the internal sensors, do you require the repeater in order to receive the sensor signal?
When I spoke with TST last week they now recommend a repeater on all installs.

I ran without a repeater, with external sensors, on a large Class C with no issues. But since it isn't a big deal to add the repeater I'm going to follow their advice and install one.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #15

Mine came with a repeater, but wasnt installed. It was still in the box. Guess I'll dig it out and install it.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Mine came with a repeater, but wasnt installed. It was still in the box. Guess I'll dig it out and install it.
I found the repeater unit in the original packaging and installed it in the compartment withe Truma water heater. There was a 12 VDC terminal block that made connecting the repeater power wires easy. It seems like it might detect and read the sensors a little quicker, but I didnt notice a big difference in performance.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
I found the repeater unit in the original packaging and installed it in the compartment withe Truma water heater. There was a 12 VDC terminal block that made connecting the repeater power wires easy. It seems like it might detect and read the sensors a little quicker, but I didnt notice a big difference in performance.
We don't install the repeater in the 3 series as it is not a stretched chassis and is under the length that really needs it.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #18

I have the Dually valve stems and the regular cap external TST sensors on my aluminum rims. I removed the security caps to make access easier and to lower the profile of the sensors. I have used them since 1918 with two battery changes to date. They have performed perfectly. No air leaks. No problem putting air in the tires. I do not have a repeater. Very low maintenance system that works well.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms