Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #1

Trifold sofa versus dinette weight

We love our 2017 Isata 3 RW. Recently upgraded to Alcoa wheels and looking to swap out dinette for trifold sofa. Will there be any weight savings? I know BC has given this information in the past, but I can't find it.

I think I would move the old dinette base in front of the trifold sofa and cut down the top to make a new top...or get a different top, so we would still have an eating surface.

Can you store pillows under the Thomas Payne 68" trifold?

Has anyone done that?

Thanks!
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimjim View Post
We love our 2017 Isata 3 RW. Recently upgraded to Alcoa wheels and looking to swap out dinette for trifold sofa. Will there be any weight savings? I know BC has given this information in the past, but I can't find it.

I think I would move the old dinette base in front of the trifold sofa and cut down the top to make a new top...or get a different top, so we would still have an eating surface.

Has anyone done that?

Thanks!
Part of the weight difference will be based on how much stuff you had under the dinette seats. I know my wife loves the storage space of the two deep drawers of our dinette. Our model also has an outside storage compartment under the U-shaped dinette.

Also….are you sure there will be space on the slide to mount the table post in front of the tri fold?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DE400BF-FBB6-44E3-9D5F-BB66EA85CA58.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	278938  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #3

Yes, measured and it should just fit in front of soft. Don't store much at all under the dinette. We keep it made out into a bed for our two dogs and it's such a pain to get in/out of the seat storage as our 2017 doesn't have drawers in the seat. I had a down blanket under the seat, but it too would store under the trifold.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:

Has anyone done that?

Thanks!
As I recall, the trifold sofa saves you about 150 lbs as compared to the dinette. The storage area under the trifold sofa is HUGE. You can easily store all of the bedding for the trifold including pillows. We even store a 1" memory foam topper for the trifold under the sofa. The trifold bed is a full RV queen. We use the table that came with the trifold and it mounts nicely on the slide out between the two recliners. We leave the table in place all of the time. It can be rotated so that it is possible to sit in both recliners without removing it or climbing around it. We have found this arrangement to be very convenient and comfortable.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #5

Swapped dinette for trifold

We did it - and I wish we had done it sooner!

Absolutely love this set up! With the new aluminum wheels and the sofa, we can love this rig even more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD606B7F-FF75-4508-BC66-DED42EDD9C50.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	279048  
Old 09-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
We did it - and I wish we had done it sooner!
That really looks great in that area. It's a good alternative to the dinette. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #7

Anyone in need of a dinette out of a 2017 Isata 3 RW? Located in Norman, OK. Will probably also post on classifieds.

Tags
dinette, weight