Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
I ran my surveillance camera, watched streaming videos, and used devices for most of the weekend after the update, it all worked well. Even driving home it ran all devices well.

Maybe Winegard will get the updates updated to fix all the issues. I think it needs easier to navigate software though.
So its a POS, but working great after you updated it? That just tells me it needed updating...which many devices do.

I can only imagine how tough it is to design software that works on every computer, every browser, every mobile device, flawlessly.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
So its a POS, but working great after you updated it? That just tells me it needed updating...which many devices do.

I can only imagine how tough it is to design software that works on every computer, every browser, every mobile device, flawlessly.
yes because it still kept dropping off after the update. Problem is the software that runs it was not accessible when it dropped. It's like the entire unit goes and takes a nap. Maybe it only works during the day, but sleeps at night, my best guess. What isn't a POS these days, everything is made to be disposable, you cannot argue that one.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #23

The Winegard drops its connection with us as well, but I believe the issue is the campground Wifi, when bandwidth starts to get stretched by users, the signal drops lower and the Winegard also drops and drags. If I connect with the Verizon Sim card in the unit, 100% no issues, no drops.
I have connected the unit to my wifi when at home and run for updates and patches before I leave so I dont have to rely on the connection at the campgrounds.
I have a differing opinion, I have been happy with the unit and it seems to make my life a lot easier on the road.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Troubleshooting Winegard Connect 2.0+

I am with halla, however I have not ran any updates since I installed the sims card last year.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
Señor Miembro

Once we managed to get it reset and working again, we can confirm that on wifi repeater mode to the campground and even connecting to our home wifi network, it was really slow. We found it was faster just use our cell phone as a hotspot.
So I went to verizon to get a sim card for it. $20/month and $40 activation fee. We already had the unlimited data plan. I had to do a software update on the WineGuard and it seems a little temperamental but when working, we get 20-25 MB download speeds according to Ookla. On my cell phone, in the same location, I only had 1 MB download speed. So, when it works, it works very well as a verizon hotspot. Hopefully, after the last update, it did away with having to reset the unit each day.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Awesome! We love success stories. I also find that cellular is better than campsite wifi. As for your home wifi, I guess that would depend on speeds, where the router is placed and what kind of signal the Winegard is getting. Something I will test again in the 28. I know my home has two wifi repeaters at each end of the house, so I know its a good signal at least in the driveway.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
Señor Miembro

So, nothings perfect. When we went to use the internet in the RV last night, it wouldn’t work until we did a software reset on the wineguard connect. A couple minutes later, we were back online. I don’t know why it loses the internet connection. It still had connection this morning. At least there is a work around and its fast when it does have connection!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
So, nothings perfect. When we went to use the internet in the RV last night, it wouldn’t work until we did a software reset on the wineguard connect. A couple minutes later, we were back online. I don’t know why it loses the internet connection. It still had connection this morning. At least there is a work around and its fast when it does have connection!
Yes it will lose connection frequently. Here is a trick you may want to try after first doing any and all updates. Updates are tricky because you have to be on the internet of which I use the hotspot on my iPhone. Here is the trick, go into the Winegard admin menu, when I am on 4G/LTE setting, I just click on WIFI setting, let it search (no need to find one), then quickly just go back to 4G/LTE setting and it is reset and will usually connect again. After the last update I had to do this lost connection trick way less. Yet I still did at least once or more per day. Hopefully their software updates will eventually get all the glitches out.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #29
Señor Miembro

Update

The winegard connect is still tempermental and requires a software reset most days. Most times it takes logging onto the admin page, setting it for wifi then setting it back to Verizon 4glt to get it to work. Good news is that it is still a lot faster than using my phone as a hotspot.
However,
Monday, while we were in Oregon trying to get more repairs lined up (and the tile floor repaired for a second time, thanks for letting me vent while I was futzing with the wingegard connect, my wife took out her work supplied Verizon JetPack hotspot and went right online to the internet. Outta curiosity, I had her run a speed test. Using that little portable jetpack that costs 1/3rd what the Winegard does, she was getting 2x the internet speed! Today, I did a lot of testing (was a network engineer in a previous life) again this morning back in WA and it is still roughly 2x the speed. Though, interestingly, the jetpack has slower upload speeds than winegard connect. I suspect it is verizon giving their own devices higher bandwidth.
So unless you upload lots of videos, I'd recommend ditching the wingard connect and going with the verizon jetpack. That's what we're going to do and it'll free up more roof space for solar. Crazy that little thing without antennas and being inside works better but you can't argue the data.

Cheers and best luck,
Rob
Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
Commercial Member

But how many devices were connected to the Jet Pack? If you have TV's, iPads and other devices set to use the ConnecT, then you are dividing up the bandwidth.

If it was just one device on the JetPack, then it would need to be an apples to apples comparison. (same load on both). I ran into this with a cellular booster they wanted me to test. I was better off hotspotting my phone for a "single" connection vs. the boosted network connection.

If you have not check for updated firmware I would do that as well. Just updated my home network.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
Señor Miembro

Brian, good observation and fair point but I only had my laptop connected to either the Winegard Connect or the Jetpack or my phone. No other devices invloved to keep it as much apples to apples as possible. Also, Monday, connected with wifes laptop and my iPadPro with the same results so it wasn't some bias on behalf of my latptop
Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #32

Winegard

After using my Winegard since I bought my coach in March, 2 weeks ago my Winegard wouldn't recognized my SIMM card. I thought I had a hardware problem. Without the sim card working and in a remote area I had no WIFI or 4G LTE. Winegard also had no weekend service due to covid.
When I got home and finally got through to customer service, I found out they had a software update and that's why the SIMM card wouldn't work. It turns out they had one update in December before I bought the coach and then another since my last trip so I was 2 versions out. Customer service walked me through the software update and I was back in business.
Some tips.
Always check your Winegard before a trip. At home while you have your WIFI.
10.11.12.1 will take you to the pages.
I suggest you leave the house with Winegard in 4 GLTE mode. If you get somewhere without WIFI service (as I did at Keaton beach 2 weeks ago) and you are in WIFI mode you cant get to the antenna to change it back to 4GLTE.
When you get somewhere that has WIFI switch to it to save your data.
BTW according to Winegard another update is coming pretty soon
jentwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #33

We just ran a software update before we headed out, still no issues other than poor wifi at most of the parks. Right now it is the only way I can work on this trip. I run the ipdates at home with decent wifi.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #34
Commercial Member

My home wifi, which I have a business line has been acting up. 500Mbs download speed and I can hardly load a web page.

Updated both enterprise wireless routers....main router, likely needs it as well, but will do that later today.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #35

Winegard Connect 2.0 Dead? - No LED light on unit

Just bought a 2019 Dynamax Isata 3 from a private party (used) and my Winegard Connect 2.0 is not putting out a wireless signal. Troubleshooting so far I have both LED's on the wall plate working and found 12V getting up to the roof unit (tested the plug-in connector inside the unit). However, the LED to the right of the SIM card is not lighting up and no WiFi signal coming from it. Tried resetting a few times. The TV antenna seems to work - currently getting 30 channels in my driveway. What now? Are these things prone to dying? Or is there any other troubleshooting I should try? I'd hate to have to install a new one. It is a 2019 model but built in 2018.
kstram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #36

contact winegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstram View Post
Just bought a 2019 Dynamax Isata 3 from a private party (used) and my Winegard Connect 2.0 is not putting out a wireless signal. Troubleshooting so far I have both LED's on the wall plate working and found 12V getting up to the roof unit (tested the plug-in connector inside the unit). However, the LED to the right of the SIM card is not lighting up and no WiFi signal coming from it. Tried resetting a few times. The TV antenna seems to work - currently getting 30 channels in my driveway. What now? Are these things prone to dying? Or is there any other troubleshooting I should try? I'd hate to have to install a new one. It is a 2019 model but built in 2018.
They have updates. It will look like your equipment is broke but they can walk you through the update. Happened to me on 2019 Iv owned since March.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentwistle View Post
They have updates. It will look like your equipment is broke but they can walk you through the update. Happened to me on 2019 Iv owned since March.
Thanks for reply but there is no way to update it if it is dead and not putting out a wifi signal. No way to connect to it. Was there some trick to bringing it back to life?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for reply but there is no way to update it if it is dead and not putting out a wifi signal. No way to connect to it. Was there some trick to bringing it back to life?
Mine was dead too. It said I had no simm card. They took me through the winegard web site. You have to be on a wifi network to make it all work. Did it in my driveway hooked to the home wifi network. Their number is 800.288.8094
Old 06-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #39

Don't buy Winegard Connect 2.0!!!!!

Quote:
Just finally talked to Winegard Customer Support. They said it's dead and out of warranty. I'm sure it probably never worked, as the previous owner didn't even seem to know what it was. I'm certainly not going to invest another $350 in a device that is prone to dying. I guess I needed a new boat anchor anyway. Don't buy a Winegard Connect 2.0!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Just finally talked to Winegard Customer Support. They said it's dead and out of warranty. I'm sure it probably never worked, as the previous owner didn't even seem to know what it was. I'm certainly not going to invest another $350 in a device that is prone to dying. I guess I needed a new boat anchor anyway. Don't buy a Winegard Connect 2.0!!!!!!!!
What's the last (6) of the VIN? I'd like to run this up the flag pole at Winegard...doesn't seem like we have installed them long enough for one to be dead.

Everything else works though? (TV antenna)

Tags
winegard