Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Truma water heater not working

Still relatively new with the Isata 3, and preparing for our first real trip. Gas on, Truma switched on in all 3 locations, 1/2 tank of FW, lines air bled, Anderson valve set to dry camping; no hot water. When I dewinterized last month I put the filter in the Truma and all should be good to go. Am I missing anything? All tips and pointers appreciated.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

With the water pump on are you getting flow to the sink faucets?
You said it’s on at all three locations? I only know of two, one the Truma itself and the rotary dial switch?

You should get water out of the hot water side even if the Truma is not heating. Did you open the valve on your propane tank?
Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
With the water pump on are you getting flow to the sink faucets?
You said it’s on at all three locations? I only know of two, one the Truma itself and the rotary dial switch?

You should get water out of the hot water side even if the Truma is not heating. Did you open the valve on your propane tank?
Thanks M55, you're always quick to help! Water flow from h and c sides at all faucets, propane tank on and full. I have the switch on the heater and the green LED is lit, the rotary in the kitchen and one red lit switch by the step, simply labeled water heater.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #4

Is there an amber light on the rotary dial? There should be...make sure the dial is not set to Eco. It takes a minute or two to get hot water if it is.

You may try shutting everything off. Then turn on the switch by the step first. Then the switch on the water heater, then the rotary dial.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

One more thing. My toggle switch (the one I forgot to mention) is wired backwards. You might flip it the other position and see if anything changes.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Mine is touchy. I found that first I turn on switch by front door, next I turn the sink all the way to hot and run water, finally I turn black round dial up 1 notch and look for the amber light. If I don’t do it in that order it doesn’t work.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #7

Tried the sequencing and no change. Found some hidden lines that were closed when I took the drawer above the switch out, but still no hot water after opening those. I'm going to try the flipper switch in the off position next as it wouldn't be the first thing I've found wired backwards on this rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hidden water lines Truma.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	208057  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

The closed valves are definitely an issue as they are used to bypass the Truma for winterizing RV antifreeze. It may take a minute to get the flow established. You may have seen water out the hot water side previously, but it was bypassing the Truma.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #9

We have ignition!

Wow...what a crazy little ordeal. Turns out that my rotary switch does light up, but only when it absolutely wants to. I did get the water heater to work, but I really had to play and beg it to start after the first time, which also took a lot of fiddling. I don't know what's going on with that switch but it's sure fussy. And unfortunately out of warranty. Something like that you'd expect and hope to be reliable and simple. I mean I like the concept, and the water got hot real fast, but I had to mess with that rotary switch for several minutes before it decided to light up and send the signal.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #10

Give it a chance, I think it had to do with the bypass valves being closed and after it reestablished flow, it was just a little slow to react.

Your best bet with Truma is to call them directly and bypass dealers. The posts I have read they appear to be very responsive.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #11

Yep
Mine really fussy too. It eventually does work and is much quieter, especially on cold nights.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

It seems to help turning the rotary dial off, and then back on. And to have a faucet turned on in the hot position.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #13

Seems like you got it working so this might be after the fact, but I have to make sure the propane is bled through the lines, too, by turning on a burner at the stove first, so I know the propane is getting to the water heater. If I don't do that, the water heater doesn't ignite. If I do it, you can hear the water heater turn on immediately. Otherwise I'm waiting awhile. Also, I have had to turn the rotary dial on and off a couple times as well to get it going, especially if its been awhile since I used it.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Seems like you got it working so this might be after the fact, but I have to make sure the propane is bled through the lines, too, by turning on a burner at the stove first, so I know the propane is getting to the water heater. If I don't do that, the water heater doesn't ignite. If I do it, you can hear the water heater turn on immediately. Otherwise I'm waiting awhile. Also, I have had to turn the rotary dial on and off a couple times as well to get it going, especially if its been awhile since I used it.
I did light a burner for that exact reason! I love the on demand concept and hope it becomes more reliable as others have suggested.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Give it a chance, I think it had to do with the bypass valves being closed and after it reestablished flow, it was just a little slow to react.

Your best bet with Truma is to call them directly and bypass dealers. The posts I have read they appear to be very responsive.
I had similar problem with amber knob switch. computer module bad an Truma replaced free. call Truma with s/n
Mocha Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #16

Same problem with the 'fussy' amber light. It appears to work when it darn well wants to after redoing the same steps a couple of times in the order they mention. Will try the kitchen faucet for hot water method next time and see if that works....if so then I will follow that each time or if not follow the advice and check with Truma for module. I have yet to get it to work first time through and I have had our Isata 3 FW for over a year. Once on though it works like a charm.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #17

Now I'm working on getting the fridge cold. 6 hours on propane and the freezer is pretty cold but the fridge is still in the high 50's on the coldest setting. And I put a few ice packs in it to hasten the process.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #18

On propane only your cool down times are going to seem long, depending on the outside and starting temperature. Normal.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
On propane only your cool down times are going to seem long, depending on the outside and starting temperature. Normal.
Our Minnie Winnie would chill in about 3-4 hours on propane, but it was about 30% smaller. This Dometic freezer could make ice after 2 hours, so I found the fridge temp surprising. Still getting used to this I 3.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #20

I also experienced the finicky Truma rotary knob, I can move the rotary from Off to On (Comfort) or Eco position and get no amber light so it’s not actually on, but just jiggling the knob very lightly until the faint amber light comes on does the trick. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	208156
acoxFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater