Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

TSD fuel card and PUC tax

As everyone that uses truck fuels bays to fill their dual tank M2s you know the truck fuel has an additional, around 10% PUC tax. So in today's $375/gal commercial diesel that $.30 per gallon more than diesel at the same place in the non-commercial bays. Any way of avoiding that, short of filing one side, and circling around to fill the other side, assuming they have the overhead clearance. Not to mention its near impossible to maneuver around those tight spaces. Oh, and this isn't only for the TSD card. Pilot, Loves and all the truck fuel is taxed up that commercial charge. Since the RV is not commercial you'd think there is a way to avoid that. As it is using TSD discount you are not, or barely, getting the fuel back down to the regular rate. But that's not bad. I usually stop at TA if I can, which seems to always have the TSD discount.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Maybe I should close this thread and rename it. My question applies to all M2's filing at truck bays for dual tanks, regardless of your payment method. When filling in the dual tank truck bays there is a large, $.30/gal commercial surcharge (PUC tax). It is assumed you are a commercial vehicle. So is there a way, even if going inside before paying, to show you aren't commercial, and get the non-commercial rate which most service centers have at their non-commercial fuel lanes.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Apparently that increase is a state tax not a federal tax. In Georgia, the commercial and traveler diesel tax is the same.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #4

i see you have your location listed as phoenix so i am assuming you are talking about diesel fuel in arizona. arizona taxes diesel fuel at $.18/gal for non-commercial use and $.26/gal for commercial use. an rv is considered non-commercial. each diesel pump will have a silver ADOT sticker on it that describes the tax rate for that pump. if you fuel at a commercial pump with a non-commercial vehicle you can go inside and request an $.08/gal tax refund. the stations pay it in cash. it has no bearing on how you actually paid for the fuel at the pump. i have requested this refund at many of the large truck stops when i fueled in the commercial truck lanes due to ease of access.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

I'm actually traveling through TX then AZ. I will try that at the next Flying J in Van Horn TX.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

What I described is only applicable for diesel purchases within the state of Arizona.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #7

I just filled up at a T/A in Toledo Oh and I don’t see any of the the taxes on the recipe, There’s the $.065 fee and I saved $35.67, it’s a win for me.
Sunset beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #8

In Virginia the diesel is the same tax commercial or non-commercial.

The only cheaper taxed diesel is off road for my tractors etc. and you better not get caught using it in an on road vehicle.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel