Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #21

Great Thread! I also signed up today. Having options while on the road is always a plus.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchn2go View Post
Currently, I am using the Pilot/FlyingJ RV card because they let you accumulate up to $1000 before you have to make a payment. Has anyone compared the savings to Loves ?
Pilot/Flying J and Loves are all seemingly showing $0.40+/gallon savings. It depends on the location but it seems quite a bit off the sign price.

I also have the Pilot/Flying J card but I usually only get about $0.11/gallon off the sign price (i.e. 6-cents off of the cash price). This TSD discount blows it out of the water.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #23

So the EFS app has a neat function, it will list the cheapest fuel in your area. I'm in the Houston area, the cheapest fuel today on the app is Loves North of town. The per gallon price for diesel is $2.161. Flying J is $2.237. The price per gallon at the station is listed at $2.599.

Now the TCS plan has their own app. The cheapest fuel in Houston is at TA Petro and price is $2.164.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #24

As far as I could tell, this program opened up to, and started advertising for, RV owners around July 2019. Before that, it was mainly for owner operators and small trucking companies. TSD Logistics is a trucking company itself. They get better discounts the more fuel they buy, hence opening it up to RVers.
TSD has the best contracts with Loves and TA for better discounts. Pilot and Flying J , not so much. Usually we do better with RV Plus card. Yes, truck stops have inflated prices of 30-45 cents. This card gets you a substantial discount at certain truckstops ands adds a 10% of the savings per gallon usage fee. And the discounts fluctuate daily. So if you are towing or MH, and are going to use these truckstops anyway, it's a definite benefit. Especially being able to use the semi lanes w/o going in to pay. Otherwise, you can usually find diesel in town for a comparative price (after I unhook our towable RV). Sometimes the TSD discount at the truckstop is slightly cheaper, as compared to in town, sometimes not.
It's like everything else, it has benefits and drawbacks. I still don't like the auto withdrawal per transaction. I don't like that the discount fluctuates daily. But I really enjoy being able to use the fleet card at the pump in the semi lanes. And I definitely enjoy not having to pay the inflated truckstop price.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #25
Retired FF

I have the card. Just tried it yesterday to see how it all worked. It works fine, got about 40 cents off the best price around (per Gas Buddy), and going through the truck lanes was super easy with my 43 foot fifth wheel. I set up a separate checking account just for use with the EFS card & limit what I keep in the account.

The discount is decent, but the convenience factor while traveling with the fifth wheel is what sealed the deal for me. Now I don’t have to fight through tight pump lanes to fit the rig in, only to have a compact car at the only suitable diesel pump lol.

The only issue with the truck lanes is sometimes having to wait in line. If it’s the best price for you based on the app, then it will be for the truckers too & they will be stopped there as well.
wrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #26

Just signed up for this the other day, and read this on another forum

FYI

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/fuel...ue-450563.html

good info
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #27

It was posted on the TSD facebook page the other day that Pilot and Flying J are not participating in the program now, due to the Good Sam discount.

It seems a lot of the consumers are angry and emailing Flying J, so we will see if they come back online with the program.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
It was posted on the TSD facebook page the other day that Pilot and Flying J are not participating in the program now, due to the Good Sam discount.

It seems a lot of the consumers are angry and emailing Flying J, so we will see if they come back online with the program.
It seems like a lot of consumers on that group are pretty entitled lol. Was an entertaining read
Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #29

Agreed. I am starting to think 60%+ of Facebook posts are trolls, most posts are very angry.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post

yes, since a have a rv plus card with only .08 discount and now will have a
card with the discount much higher, why would anyone go to Pilot/FJ?
They may reverse their policy?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #31

Honestly, I've been expecting these discounts for private non-commercial users to be curtailed since it started. TSD has a great idea that allows them to purchase more fuel and get bigger discounts by using the private sector, but if the program gets too popular, then I think that's the beginning of the end. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
yes, since a have a rv plus card with only .08 discount and now will have a
card with the discount much higher, why would anyone go to Pilot/FJ?
They may reverse their policy?
Make that x2.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #33

ependydad is right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have it. Have only used it once because of our local travel not including truck stops. But the gist of it is:
  • You get discounts at the TRUCK pumps at specific truck stop brands (Loves, Flying J, Pilot, TA/Petrol, Ambest, Road Ranger, and Sapp Brothers
  • The discounts seem to range from 30-60 cents per gallon
  • TSD charges a 10% fee (but the savings can still be substantial); some stations (TA-specifically) charge a 65-cent fee per transaction for using an EFS card
  • I haven't figured out if there's a discount on DEF yet
  • You are able to start the pump without going inside and then 1-2 business days later, TSD does an EFT from your specified bank account
    • Some people will open a separate bank account solely for this since it's an EFT
  • You cannot double-dip with the Good Sams discount for Pilot/Flying J
  • You should not use the front RV lane pumps
  • You do need to provide your SSN to them during the application process; they say they don't do a credit pull or anything but it's there in case the EFT doesn't work
  • Minor/below market fees are imposed if a transaction fails or if you provide bad banking info

They have a good Facebook group if you're a Facebook user and want to learn more before signing up.

I'm happy to answer any questions. My first fill-up of my pickup truck, I saved like $10. My buddy who pulls with a HDT saved something like $90 on 210 gallons.

I use truck stops when traveling anyway, so it was an easy one to sign up for.
Ependydad is right. Got my TSD fuel card four days before my current trip. I figure I'm saving about 40+ cents/gallon. I was worried about going through the trucker fuel lanes, but it was easy and I found the truckers to be a friendly group. Good luck and enjoy saving on your diesel and DEF purchases.
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #34

I've been following this thread today as I drove across Albuquerque. I filled up at a Speedway for $2.42 and watched prices as I crossed town. Love's on I-25 was $2.74 and Flying J on I-40 was $2.75. I can't see any advantage if you watch prices and shop around just a bit.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
I've been following this thread today as I drove across Albuquerque. I filled up at a Speedway for $2.42 and watched prices as I crossed town. Love's on I-25 was $2.74 and Flying J on I-40 was $2.75. I can't see any advantage if you watch prices and shop around just a bit.
Speedway is a convenience store not designed for RVs, especially larger ones. Some around NM can pass in a pinch, some you can't get into with an RV.
The advantage of the TSD Logistics card is for those of us that want to skip the frustrations of navigating fuel stops in stations not designed for us. So we are going to use truck stops, and this card will save us money at the semi lanes, usually more than if we went into town and found the cheapest price.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #36
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
I can't see any advantage if you watch prices and shop around just a bit.
I don’t plan out our stops and am typically looking for easy in/easy out.

I used to focus on Pilot/Flying J because I could get a minor discount but more importantly could start the pump without going in.

Sadly, Pilot/Flying J is pulling out of the TSD program.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #37

When you pull to the pump how will it know if a semi or RV pulled up? I almost always use Loves and until P/FJ recognizes my card # or ?? I doubt they will not provide the discount
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
When you pull to the pump how will it know if a semi or RV pulled up? I almost always use Loves and until P/FJ recognizes my card # or ?? I doubt they will not provide the discount
I wondered the same thing unless there is some special coding in the card swipe data that rats on us..lol...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #39

TSD card

Just a heads up, TSD no longer has a discount at pilot and Flying j. Seems it was a conflict with Sams club who has a contract with those 2. Still good at Loves. I think you can still use the card at the pump but you cant get the discount except at Loves. I got a e-mail telling me this, have not used it yet.

Bill

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #40

TSD car - make sure to use the semi-truck pumps

I got a TSD card for a cross-country trip. Save around 5-10% per fill which adds up as others have commented.

A couple things I have learned

- diesel only
- you have to call EFS with questions, not TSD
- The LARGE semi truck fill nozzles fit into my Ram 3500 diesel tank but they will not fit unless you have the larger size nozzle opening
- use the lowest fill rate click on the pump handle - the max flow volume is impressive and will backflush diesel out of fill opening if you are not careful
- for the same reason always insert the nozzle completely and don't try to top off
- DEF is not discounted
- Often there is a line of semis waiting to fill. Just get in line and take turns.
- when you are done filling your tank, pull ahead to the line and let the person behind you start filling while you go into the station.
- the payment comes out of your bacnk account, e.g. not a credit card.
- I have found the charges on my bank account confusing - there is a small fee tacked on by EFS and they lump purchases together on a per day basis so it is difficult to track what you spent/saved and when.
- for this reason, I write down the store # (Loves, Pilot, Flying J etc), the pump gallons, the pump price and the pump price per gallon. Then cross-reference in a spreadsheet to check my savings.
- They have a smartphoen app which lists which stations have a discount and their current price UES IT. Not all stations participate.
- Since the stations are limited, I plan on stopping in around 250 miles (20-25 gallons) and look for a station that far away. I think that works better than what I used to do of looking for a station when I was down to 100 mile range.

I like the program and highly recommend it. As noted the major downsides are sometimes waiting for a pump amidst LARGE semis and figuring out the actual discount.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel