Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

TV not working

Most if not all of my TV issues are clearly operator error, but when my wife and I were kids no one had a TV, at least not until the 50's. I have yet to get the Sat TV working, just about given up on that one. But now the Bedroom TV won't let me go to 'Channel'. I can scroll through the menu items and it stops on Lock. I used the 0000 and all it wants me to do is change the security code. I've done that and it still won't let me get to 'Channel'. I want to change source to cable and scan for channels so my wife can watch the bedroom TV. Please help an old TV challenged sailor. 22 years on ships that didn't have TV either.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

The TV/Satellite stuff is pretty much trial and error. I feel I am fairly tech savvy and still struggled. If you have a Dish receiver, I found their tech support pretty helpful.

Also, if you have the Wineguard T4 satellite like mine, the dish is set to Direct TV from the factory and the DIP switch on the roof dome has to be changed to Dish.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
The TV/Satellite stuff is pretty much trial and error. I feel I am fairly tech savvy and still struggled. If you have a Dish receiver, I found their tech support pretty helpful.

Also, if you have the Wineguard T4 satellite like mine, the dish is set to Direct TV from the factory and the DIP switch on the roof dome has to be changed to Dish.
Thanks, I have the same antenna, but I have a Direct TV box. At one point I actually heard the antenna move but I kept getting the 775 error message. Not sure I'm even hooked up to the right coax. I have two coax cables coming into the bedroom TV that are not attached to anything so I tried them, they are not marked so who knows if I'm even close. I'll have to find a TV tech somewhere.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

Funny. I had the same issue tonight. Would not go to channels for scan. Turns out I did not have it on the right Source setting. Changed the source selection (TV for me rather than HDMI 1) and worked perfectly.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Funny. I had the same issue tonight. Would not go to channels for scan. Turns out I did not have it on the right Source setting. Changed the source selection (TV for me rather than HDMI 1) and worked perfectly.
Yup. I finally figured it out, somehow it was on the wrong HDMI source, probably because I was trying to hook it up to the Sat antenna. Gave up on that thing. Too complicated for me.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I think maybe you figured this out..but the TV will not go to channel on an HDMI source. As there are no channels there.

The Channel scan is only available on TV. See if this link works...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tob4lsihvf...orial.m4v?dl=0

This is a rough draft of the new 2019 MY AV stuff.

Now it includes the matrix that you likely do not have...but some of it might be helpful.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think maybe you figured this out..but the TV will not go to channel on an HDMI source. As there are no channels there.

The Channel scan is only available on TV. See if this link works...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tob4lsihvf...orial.m4v?dl=0

This is a rough draft of the new 2019 MY AV stuff.

Now it includes the matrix that you likely do not have...but some of it might be helpful.
So I need to buy a Matrix? Do you have a source? I have two coax cables coming into the bedroom TV cabinet, and they are not hooked to anything. So I put my Directv box in there, hooked it to the coax, one at a time, and never got a Sat signal. I hooked the Directv box to the Bedroom TV with an HDMI cable. Still nothing. The cables in the Bedroom cabinet are not labeled. Do you have a wiring diagram or instructions on how to hook up a Directv box? And once I do can I watch Sat TV on any and all of the TV's?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Commercial Member

There are (2) coax in there. One if the Main and one is the secondary. First...did you make sure that the Winegard sat is powered?? There is a wall plate with a switch. It has to be powered first and then you should here it start to look for the sat.

Also, make sure you have line of site with the southwest sky. Then connect one of the coax...they were labeling them "M" and "2".

Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

At first I did not have the Sat switch on. Figured that out. My two coax's are not labeled and I tried them both, no luck. At one point I did hear the Sat motor running so I think the antenna was searching, then quiet so it may have found the bird, but I never got a signal to the screen. Who can make this work? My dealer?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
Commercial Member

when you say "no signal to the screen". do you mean the sat never found the signal? or your screen never showed the direcT stuff?

Even if the satellite is not working, you should see the DirecTV receiver stuff on the main screen. Coax goes into the receiver...but then HDMI goes from the receiver to the TV.

There should be (2) HDMI cables in that area as well. 1 goes to the bedroom TV and one gets to the living room TV. Those should be color coded on the ends.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #11

I got a Direct TV Error code on the screen 775, which I think means my Sat box is not getting a Sat signal. But with the two unlabeled cables I don't know which one to use and so I tried both and nothing changed. Why is there 3 coax cables in the bedroom? One is hooked to the bedroom TV, so I'm thinking one must go to the Sat dish? What's the third one for?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #12

BC, I did get some Direct TV stuff like it was going to work and then that error code of 775. Which I think means no signal? Or it's not hooked up right? Is there a way to figure out which coax comes from the antenna?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Commercial Member

One coax (should be hooked to the TV), should be for the "Over The Air" channels. So just regular old rabbit ear coax. Maybe try a TV, over the air scan and make sure it is pulling some over the air channels. If they weren't labeled, maybe they grabbed the wrong one.

Then there are two coming from the Sat. And I kick myself, because we only ever ran the primary, but then you get a couple of people that have to have the secondary and we're irresponsible for not running it. So we start running it and move on to problem #2, it adds some confusion to the other 98%. Labels would certainly help and they are supposed to be doing that...but with only one there was no question.

So...make sure you have line of site to the southern sky...no trees/buildings around where you are parked. That has fooled more than one person.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #14

I'm going over to the RV this am and will check all of that and report back. Thank you.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
One coax (should be hooked to the TV), should be for the "Over The Air" channels. So just regular old rabbit ear coax. Maybe try a TV, over the air scan and make sure it is pulling some over the air channels. If they weren't labeled, maybe they grabbed the wrong one.

Then there are two coming from the Sat. And I kick myself, because we only ever ran the primary, but then you get a couple of people that have to have the secondary and we're irresponsible for not running it. So we start running it and move on to problem #2, it adds some confusion to the other 98%. Labels would certainly help and they are supposed to be doing that...but with only one there was no question.

So...make sure you have line of site to the southern sky...no trees/buildings around where you are parked. That has fooled more than one person.
OK after an hour on the phone with Directv turns out it is the box I have. My home system is not compatible with the Antenna I have. So I have to buy a different Directv box. I probably had it hooked up correctly, just wrong box. Thanks for your input on this thread.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Yeh!!! Finally got to the bottom of it. While I am sorry it took this long...I am certainly glad it wasn't our fault (knock on wood until you get the new box in)

Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #17

BC, maybe you can help me with my Direct TV Sat problem. I finally got it connected this week and working right in the bedroom. However, the sat won’t talk to my front TV. The color-coded HDMI cables are connected tightly at both ends, as they came from the factory. I spoke with BM and he said to have the service guys at Dylan’s call his engineers to figure out the wiring. Can you advise if there’s an easier fix? My Isata 5 36DS (I took delivery on April 28) is currently at KOA South Philly until November 3, which is about 20 minutes from Dylan’s RV, where I bought it. Any ideas?
Larry NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Commercial Member

You would need to have an HDMI switch installed to get the front TV to work. What is your current set up????

Does your box have dual HDMI "outs" most only have one.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #19

Sorry, mine is an Isata 5 36DS, but I’m away from my rig until Saturday. I’ll send photos. Incidentally, the Direct TV Power Inserter was missing initially, but Dylan’s ordered me one and this is what made Sat work (I think I had the 775 error before I hooked up the Power Inserter). I only had one unused coax cable coming in behind the bedroom TV, and that is what is connected to the Power Inserter. My Direct TV box has only one HDMI out, which I connected to HDMI 1 on the bottom of the TV. The other HDMI ports already had cables in them, one marked “BR/Sat” (or something like that) in HDMI 2, and one “OM” (or similar) in HDMI 3. The front TV has the same color-coded “BR/Sat” cable in HDMI 2, also. Are the 2 TV’s supposed to talk to each other through the HDMI 2 cable? I just purchased a 3-way HDMI splitter to connect the DVD player in the bedroom. BTW, I’m not looking to view two different Direct TV channels, so the TVs can mirror each other.
Larry NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Coax should go to the receiver. The HDMI from the receiver should go to a splitter. The splitter should then go to the bedroom TV and the living room TV.

For DVD, you would be using one of the HDMI's that you would need to get living room TV, so the best bet is to just get a Blue Ray for the bedroom or go wireless HDMI. I normally just stream stuff....but it depends on what you want to do.

If it is just mirror the sat channels...then refer to my first statement.
BR/Sat is likely the HDMI cable that is supposed to terminate in that cabinet...NOT be hooked to the TV. That is for the HDMI to the living room. So unplug that, and put it into the output of the splitter. Then a cable from the other output of the splitter to the bedroom TV. Should take care of it.