Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #1

Two 7 pin connectors?

I was wondering why there are two 7 pin connectors on my '18 Isata 3? One is mounted to the rear of the coach and the other is tied up by the frame in fron of the spare tire.
Tgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Mine too. I think the one by the spare is MB installed and would work with a sprinter body or a shorter Motorhome. I wonder why Dynamax wouldn't remove the one by the spare and tidy it up under there.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #3

Dynamax extends the frames that come from MB. Using an extension might be better than a splice. I have not crawled up under by the spare, but mine is probably the same. The only thing I might do is just make sure the connector is protected from moisture and anything that may erode the connectors.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
hhl

The original mercedes 7 pin connector on my isata 3 is not connected just tied up under the frame. Dynamax most likely used their own wire harness to connect 7 pin connector on hitch.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Well....good question. We used to install our own trailer plug and connection. At some point....our companies (Forest River, Coachmen, Dynamax) decided to start ordering the chassis with a trailer "pre-wire". Only no one ever told us.

So, we continued to install our normal 7 way and never used the factory pre-wire. I think today, we are just installing a harness splice...but now that you mention it, I will go make sure that is actually happening.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #6

When I took delivery in May, during the PDI I noticed a 7 pin connector dangling under my ISATA 3. I pointed it out to the dealer and they said not to worry that it was the one that came with the original MB chassis. They tied it up somewhere and reassured me that the 7 pin connector installed on the rear of the ISATA 3 was wired and would work. I have not tried it yet.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Are we sure there is no power to the original not being used? Mine is swinging like a pendulum and rubbing on the frame. I will tie it up but wondering if it could short and cause problems later? Thanks leonard trying to do some punch list items on my own!!!!!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer44 View Post
Are we sure there is no power to the original not being used? Mine is swinging like a pendulum and rubbing on the frame. I will tie it up but wondering if it could short and cause problems later? Thanks leonard trying to do some punch list items on my own!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure. My dealer assured me that the one on the back my coach was hooked up and offered to check it, but they never did while I was there. Too many other more pressing issues. It was never clear to me whether Dynamax unhooked the original at its source and ran another cable all the way to the back from the front or somehow spliced into the original 'dangling' cable. It would be nice to know.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote