Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #21

Alright talked with the campground and looks like Jesse is all over it. He's got you guys that reserved online transferred over already. Looks like if you mention Dynamax when making it online he's catching those and adjusting accordingly. I'll be sure to check back in as more reservations are made.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Alright talked with the campground and looks like Jesse is all over it. He's got you guys that reserved online transferred over already. Looks like if you mention Dynamax when making it online he's catching those and adjusting accordingly. I'll be sure to check back in as more reservations are made.
You are a great organizer!
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
He's gotta live up to Halla
Old 02-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #24

Registered, site 304, form finished. Thanks!
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
He's gotta live up to Halla
Pssh dont get people's hopes up
Old 02-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Pssh dont get people's hopes up
He set the bar really high, but you'll do great and we'll have fun!
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 02-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #27

Looks like great fun.
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Looks like great fun.
Isn't that a run in Moab, Chicken Corners?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 02-27-2019, 12:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Isn't that a run in Moab, Chicken Corners?
Yes, yes it is.
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
So DH thinks we can make this and we really want to come so going to book!! YAY!

FOURWHL what day you planning first ride? Wed 25th or Thurs 26? Not sure when to book campground. Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #31

So trails will be 9/26, 9/27 and 9/28. I'll be checking in 9/25 and will have to depart Sunday 9/29 for another offroad event in sand hollow.

I know it's a long way for 3 days for some so by all means stay a couple days longer if you guys want to do some more touring around. Both Arches and Canyonlands national parks are accessible from the campground withn a reasonable drive.

I'm planning for 2 trails each day, dependent on our speed, so if all goes according to plan you'll get to see a decent chunk of the trails moab has to offer but itll be a full 3 days so some relaxing may also be in order.

I'll have the trail plan posted in the next day or two in the second post of this thread.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
So DH thinks we can make this and we really want to come so going to book!! YAY!

FOURWHL what day you planning first ride? Wed 25th or Thurs 26? Not sure when to book campground. Thanks!!
Hey that is great, it should be fun & a big thanks to FOURWHL for setting it all up
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #33

We are booked 9/25-9/30. Can't wait!! CSWVK we're neighbors!!

Big thx to FOURWHL for setting this up and volunteering to be our trail guide!!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Would a buggy ruin the vibe you’re going for here? If not, what’s the drive look like from the campground to the trailhead?
If your rig has a license plate and has minimum equipment (headlights, stop/tail lights, horn, turn indicators, license plate light and at least 2 rear view mirrors), you are safe to drive within Moab itself. You must also have proof of insurance that meets the minimum requirements just like for a car. This applies whether its a buggy or an ATV/UTV. They will not bug you about big tires, no fenders, etc., but make sure you have proof of insurance. They do check for that frequently and its a big ticket. The state hwy runs through the middle of town and you are OK there within Moab and on all of the city streets. However, once you get too far North or South of Moab on the state hwy the troopers might nail you. 95% of the trails can be accessed from within the "safe zone" of operation. I define the safe zone as being South as far as the entrance to BFE/Kane Creek and North to the trail access points for Golden Spike. As a note, you can register to get South Dakota license plates for your UTV even if you dont live there. Its about $75 as long as you have all of the street legal equipment described above. You can do it online or via mail-in. I attached a picture of the red Toyota buggy I used to drive around Moab with no issues so you have an idea how extreme you can go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	333275_1743939258740_1846510780_1172274_6022903_o.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	197750  

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #35

Quote:
So trails will be 9/26, 9/27 and 9/28. I'll be checking in 9/25 and will have to depart Sunday 9/29 for another offroad event in sand hollow.

I know it's a long way for 3 days for some so by all means stay a couple days longer if you guys want to do some more touring around. Both Arches and Canyonlands national parks are accessible from the campground withn a reasonable drive.

I'm planning for 2 trails each day, dependent on our speed, so if all goes according to plan you'll get to see a decent chunk of the trails moab has to offer but itll be a full 3 days so some relaxing may also be in order.

I'll have the trail plan posted in the next day or two in the second post of this thread.
Were booked online with Spanish Trails, arriving 9/24 and departing 9/29. Currently in spot 201 but have requested a spot in row 300. I also reserved a trailer parking spot. I also completed the registration form, not sure yet if we'll bring the RZR or Jeep, depends on how many others may be bringing ATV/UTV's.

Question: Are you planning on using any on-trail communications like CB's or 2M HAM? If so might want to let everyone know.

For first timers, Moab is a desert environment. On the trail bring lots of water, sun screen, lunch and dress in layers. Bring important medications with you on the trail. Some of these trails can take 2-4 hours to complete, longer if there is a vehicle break down on the trail or we get stuck behind another group broke down on some trails, it can turn into a long day. Most of the trails have cell phone coverage but it can be spotty, some there is no coverage.

Sounds like were running the easier trails but try to have a good quality tow strap and some basic hand tools in your rig. Make sure your tires/spare are in good shape. You will usually have to air down your tires so try to have a compressor or CO2 tank to air up again. I'm sure others will have these items if you need to borrow something. Lastly, if there are any aspects of your trail rig that are sketchy (serious oil leaks, mechanical reliability, etc) try to get it fixed before arriving. The one thing we do is ensure everyone gets off the trail safely and no one gets left behind. I used to guide groups on these trails and its no fun for everyone to sit around on the trail as we repair broken U joints and such.

Late September should be perfect moderate temperatures but you could still have daytime highs in the upper 90's and cool after sunset into the 40's or 50's. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.

Be prepared to have a sore face because you will be smiling all of the time. The trails are world class fun and bring SD cards for your cameras as the scenery is amazing and endless.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #36

Glad you'll be joining Randy.

Thanks for posting the info too. I'm going to be putting some stuff together regarding disconnecting, airing down, etc on the basics for everyone to look over. Jeep Jamboree also has an awesome pamphlet I'll post.

We'll also go over the basics in as much detail as people need in person either the evening of the 25th or before leaving the following morning. Was thinking maybe we can do a Winching/Recovery 101 on one of the trails if people are interested as well.

As far as communications go I was thinking about maybe utilizing FRS handheld radios. I'm guessing not everybody has CBs or race radios, but I know a lot of RVers use the little handheld radios for backing up. Worst case we can grab a couple pairs at walmart if we dont have enough to cover everybody.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #37

I have Ham, CB and FRS.

I'll bring two FRS' handhelds.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #38

Randy, great info and very helpful!
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #39

Hmm well looks like there must be a time limit on editing posts, so there goes editing my first couple posts for info. In any case, here's what I've got in mind for trails:

Trails Planned

I’m going to plan for 2 trails per day, with increasing difficulty day after day. This will allow everyone to start out, get comfortable, and see some amazing views and terrain throughout Moab. We won’t do anything terribly hard, but we’ll start with what I’d consider easy and transition into more moderate terrain. This way if at any time you feel you’ve had enough, you can always bow out on later trails.

Since we’re only riding 3 days, I’d like to try and get two a day. I’ve done this in the past and its not too bad, but It’ll mean full days. We’ll plan to eat lunch on the trail, so plan accordingly and bring plenty of water and snacks. Folding chairs are great too for when we stop and eat. I’ve picked trails that are close in proximity to each other, so other than the initial drive out and back we should be off pavement for the majority of the day. Day 1 being the one exception to this possibly, as its a bit spread out (I still may tweak things or just do 1 trail).

Still up for some tweaking but here’s what I’ve got planned so far. I’ll update if there are any changes:

Day 1 - Thursday September 26

Trail 1 - Fins ‘n Things - A nice easy trail to get started on. A good mix of Moab slick rock and sandy trails. This one’s great for RZRs as there’s some room to stretch your legs and get some speed for portions of it. There are some steeper climbs and a few ledges we that will help to kick things off. This will be good to get every one’s feet wet and shake any cobwebs off. More info here: https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=9

Trail 2 - Hell’s Revenge - This is the trail that people think of when they think of Moab. Slick rock, Optional difficult climbs, hot tubs. This trail covers a lot and is a must see. The great thing is the more difficult obstacles are completely optional or bypassable so we can all go as a group and those that want to try can, those that want to watch can bypass. There are plenty of times when people new to the area will shake their head at the thought of driving up some of the obstacles, but once you see how much traction there is it becomes much less daunting. Makes for a great trail. More info here: https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=11

Both of these trails are in a day use area that’s a nominal fee (I think $5) and only like 10 min from the campground. Each will probably take about half the day so we’ll have lunch out on the trail where convenient.

Day 2 - Friday September 27

Trail 1 - Top of the World - This is an iconic trail with an epic photo opportunity at the end. If you’ve ever seen the pictures where people or Jeeps seem to drive out on what can only be described as a plank/rock outcropping this is the trail. I’ve never been on this one, but its a bucket list trail for sure. It’s a bit There are a couple obstacles on this one that will require some effort for smaller Jeeps, but I’m confident we can get them up and there aren’t enough of them to really slow things down. More Info here: https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=38

This one is a bit of a hike from town (about 30 mi), but one I’ve wanted to do and never gotten around to. I think it’ll be well worth it for the scenery and a bit more difficulty. We’ll have to make a call once we’re done whether we hike it to the next trail or just call it a day.

Sevenmile Rim - Not sure we’re going to have time for this one, but if we do it's a nice easy and scenic trail. Should be able to run through it and relax for the remainder of the day, alternatively if anyone wants to skip the trails on Saturday they can probably navigate this one on their own. I’ve got a book with detailed directions I can set you up with. We’ll make a gametime decision on this one.

Day 3 - Saturday September 28

By now I’m hopeful we’ll have enough of a rhythm going to feel comfortable stepping things up a bit. These are by no means tough trails, but we’ll be getting a few obstacles here and there that will be a challenge but should also provide for some fun. We can certainly adjust as necessary based on the prior days’ events.

Trail 1 - Moab Rim - This is a short climb adjacent to the Colorado River. Some of the best photo opportunities in Moab. There are a few larger obstacles, but mostly manageable ledges. The biggest factor is everything is slightly off camber towards the river which can get a bit unnerving. We’ll just run the first mile or so up and back which is the interesting part and then head onto the next trail. More info here: https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=22

Trail 2 - Kane Creek Canyon - Kane creek runs out of the same area and is a really fun trail. Totally different scenery that we’ll have seen thusfar as we’ll spend the majority of the trail in a canyon crossing back and forth over Kane creek. I believe it's just short of a bazillion times we cross the creek. At the end of the trail is where things get a little interesting. There’s a fairly steep climb out of the canyon that contains some moderate obstacles. More info here: https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=21

I caution that some of these ratings posted are a bit conservative in my opinion. I’ve been down all of these trails with the exception of Top of the World and wouldn't hesitate to take stock wranglers, and definitely not lifted and 35s which seems to be most of the group. Sure things go slower on the bigger obstacles, but I’m purposefully keeping the group smaller so that we can spend the time necessary to keep everyone comfortable and work over the more difficult stuff. Since we’re staying on some of the easier trails these will be fewer and further between.

I dont have my moab book (https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Ba...gateway&sr=8-2) on me currently so I’m going to dig through this a bit more and make sure I haven’t missed anything. If you’re interested in more details that book is excellent and highly recommend it. This is all contingent upon things going according to plan, and we may call an audible as necessary.

Looking forward to it!!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #40

I've got to complement you here you are doing a great job as our leader, thanks, looks like some fun trails. Having said that I'm thinking on Sat I may take a hard look at "Chicken Corners"?
Days camped 2021 = 25

Tags
vent