Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #1

update on peeling upholstery

Apparently Dynamax is ok with providing inferior upholstery on some of their motor homes. My 2018 REV started showing a tiny imperfection after about 2 years, little did I know that this material would self destruct 6 months later. I brought this to the attention of Dynamax and was told that a resolution to the problem would occur. Well the resolution is a new dinette at a discounted cost of almost 1000.00 plus crating and shipping, probably another 250 to 300 dollars. All I asked was for Dynamax to waive shipping and handling cost to lessen the pain of replacing a component that should last many years with proper care. It would go a long way in maintaining good will and customer satisfaction. As you can see from the photo, the top back of the dinette is affected and does not come in contact with any body part. I have heard all kinds of excuses for the failure of the material. Bottom line, no one spending thousands for an rv expects the upholstery to deteriorate in such a short time and one would expect a manufacturer to take all or at least some responsibility. Unfortunately this is not the case with Dynamax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette upholstery.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	239864  
Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Team

This issue is not unique to Dynamax. My Wildcat always needs a shave.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Nothing frustrates me more than someone trying to slander our name and/or efforts and yet does not post all the information in an attempt to get the court of public opinion on their side.

1. You already have a thread on this subject. I'm not sure why it warranted another thread, but glad to respond here (though it is nice to see an issue come to an end where it started) https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ry-215253.html

2. Your coach is OUT of warranty. So in theory there is no obligation to do anything...yet we wanted to help (and still do).

3. In August, you reached out to me saying that you were not getting resolution from Mark in parts. And that you were "willing to pay a reasonable amount" "as long as it takes it to the last payment on the RV" (note you never stated what a reasonable amount was)

4. I informed you then, that I did not know what the hold up would be as we have done "covers" before with no issue. I also mentioned that Covid related supply chain issues have caused INDUSTRY wide shortages. I then looked into the history. It seems it started out as just a cover, then it was cover and cushions, then it was a whole dinette.

5. You then CC'd me again on Sept 18th, stating that we had decided "not to provide a token of good will in the form of waiving shipping and handling" "to make matters worse no one has given you a cost for just a replacement cover". So I looked into that as well.

6. I was told at the time, that we had given verbal price on covers and that we had quoted "our cost" on the dinette. No mark up...raw cost.

7. We had still not received a quote back from the supplier on replacement cushions and have been told that "no new orders are being taken for new part numbers (as this would be with a new material) as they are dedicated to catching up the major backlogs"

So I told our guys to just quote raw cost on what we pay today for covers and we would just honor that price regardless if it ended up being more and put it all in writing. So from what I understand....

-We have now quoted replacement covers (that you would have covered locally). Since that would be a small package I gave them authority to cover shipping (as that is what we have done for all previous issues like this)
-We have quoted an entire dinette at our cost. With shipping and handling as a crate must be built.

So what is wrong with replacement covers that we provide and you install? that has been a satisfactory resolution for prior customers that have faced this issue?

As a side note, retail price on that dinette with 10 year hydrolysis rated fabric is about $1800. We quoted it at about $1200 delivered.

The offer for covers still stands.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 09-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
As you can see from the photo, the top back of the dinette is affected and does not come in contact with any body part.
As side note, that is the exact spot many put their hand as they climb in or out of the dinette. Not making excuses...but I always feel a bit better if I know why something is happening. Maybe that's just me.

We have people with coaches the exact same material and no problems and we have some people that have what you are seeing. Again, mainly in high humidity areas, Florida & Louisiana being the most affected from what I have seen.

I also agree that a material should not do that. I know some claim "its because we buy cheap China vinyl" and that is not true. Its not always cheap, but 99% of all Polyurethane comes out of China. I don't know of any domestically produced PU and only one outside of China. Ultraleather is made in Japan as I recall.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Dahagen

Interesting. I have a 2013 Mirada that had the same problem. Forest River sent replacement fabric for 2 captain chairs, sofa, and dinette cushions. The only thing I had to buy was a pair of hog-nosed pliers. FR was great.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #6

It is nice to hear both sides of the issue. Thanks!.
Andersen hitch
Old 09-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

2016 Holiday Rambler

I also have a Rev corp motorhome that we purchased new in 8/2016 that has peeling upholstery as well. I also agree that one of these lawyers that we see on Tv should go after these manufacturer's that sell these very expensive Rv's and hold them responsible for selling us products with defective upholstery. It's not like being in a house, many of these defective pieces are custom built to fit in our rv's. So sad, 200k and it looks like crap! Rev corp and all of the other manufacturer's need to step up and make this right .
Chet
Old 09-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

Our 2004 Dynamax Grand Sport leather couch, recliner, dinette and captains chairs still look brand new!!!

And we have large dogs that think it is quite comfortable! If you are planning on keeping the coach I would upgrade the furniture....perhaps they will discount that as well.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tparks View Post
And we have large dogs that think it is quite comfortable! If you are planning on keeping the coach I would upgrade the furniture....perhaps they will discount that as well.
That offer is on the table.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Nothing frustrates me more than someone trying to slander our name and/or efforts and yet does not post all the information in an attempt to get the court of public opinion on their side.

1. You already have a thread on this subject. I'm not sure why it warranted another thread, but glad to respond here (though it is nice to see an issue come to an end where it started) https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ry-215253.html

2. Your coach is OUT of warranty. So in theory there is no obligation to do anything...yet we wanted to help (and still do).

3. In August, you reached out to me saying that you were not getting resolution from Mark in parts. And that you were "willing to pay a reasonable amount" "as long as it takes it to the last payment on the RV" (note you never stated what a reasonable amount was)

4. I informed you then, that I did not know what the hold up would be as we have done "covers" before with no issue. I also mentioned that Covid related supply chain issues have caused INDUSTRY wide shortages. I then looked into the history. It seems it started out as just a cover, then it was cover and cushions, then it was a whole dinette.

5. You then CC'd me again on Sept 18th, stating that we had decided "not to provide a token of good will in the form of waiving shipping and handling" "to make matters worse no one has given you a cost for just a replacement cover". So I looked into that as well.

6. I was told at the time, that we had given verbal price on covers and that we had quoted "our cost" on the dinette. No mark up...raw cost.

7. We had still not received a quote back from the supplier on replacement cushions and have been told that "no new orders are being taken for new part numbers (as this would be with a new material) as they are dedicated to catching up the major backlogs"

So I told our guys to just quote raw cost on what we pay today for covers and we would just honor that price regardless if it ended up being more and put it all in writing. So from what I understand....

-We have now quoted replacement covers (that you would have covered locally). Since that would be a small package I gave them authority to cover shipping (as that is what we have done for all previous issues like this)
-We have quoted an entire dinette at our cost. With shipping and handling as a crate must be built.

So what is wrong with replacement covers that we provide and you install? that has been a satisfactory resolution for prior customers that have faced this issue?

As a side note, retail price on that dinette with 10 year hydrolysis rated fabric is about $1800. We quoted it at about $1200 delivered.

The offer for covers still stands.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that my RV was a few months out of warranty when the problem became noticeable. I did not want to live with upholstery that looked 20 years old on a less than 3 year old unit. So I compared what it would cost to replace material versus a complete dinette replacement. Based on labor costs locally, I decided to go with a new dinette at your "cost" of just under 1000 dollars. When shipping and crating was added it came to about 1300 dollars. That is when I asked for Dynamax to absorb some of the cost in the form of free shipping, I still don't think this much to ask under the circumstances. The way I see the offer, is Dynamax sells at cost and loses nothing and I have to shell out 1300 dollars for something that should last more than a couple years.

Fortunately Dynamax did not provide seating for the cab, they're perfect.
Hopefully at some point the rv industry will be held to higher standards just as the auto industry was forced to produce better products and customer service.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I understand that my RV was a few months out of warranty when the problem became noticeable. I did not want to live with upholstery that looked 20 years old on a less than 3 year old unit. So I compared what it would cost to replace material versus a complete dinette replacement. Based on labor costs locally, I decided to go with a new dinette at your "cost" of just under 1000 dollars. When shipping and crating was added it came to about 1300 dollars. That is when I asked for Dynamax to absorb some of the cost in the form of free shipping, I still don't think this much to ask under the circumstances. The way I see the offer, is Dynamax sells at cost and loses nothing and I have to shell out 1300 dollars for something that should last more than a couple years.

Fortunately Dynamax did not provide seating for the cab, they're perfect.
Hopefully at some point the rv industry will be held to higher standards just as the auto industry was forced to produce better products and customer service.
Well, typically we have the vendor provide the re-cover. If we do a full new dinette, there is no recourse. Perhaps there is a way to get the vendor to cover freight costs in lieu of a recover.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #12

Peeling furniture

Quote:
Apparently Dynamax is ok with providing inferior upholstery on some of their motor homes. My 2018 REV started showing a tiny imperfection after about 2 years, little did I know that this material would self destruct 6 months later. I brought this to the attention of Dynamax and was told that a resolution to the problem would occur. Well the resolution is a new dinette at a discounted cost of almost 1000.00 plus crating and shipping, probably another 250 to 300 dollars. All I asked was for Dynamax to waive shipping and handling cost to lessen the pain of replacing a component that should last many years with proper care. It would go a long way in maintaining good will and customer satisfaction. As you can see from the photo, the top back of the dinette is affected and does not come in contact with any body part. I have heard all kinds of excuses for the failure of the material. Bottom line, no one spending thousands for an rv expects the upholstery to deteriorate in such a short time and one would expect a manufacturer to take all or at least some responsibility. Unfortunately this is not the case with Dynamax.
We have a 2015 Forest River Cardinal that looks just like yours. They charged us ike it was fine furniture but gave us cheap painted cloth!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #13

Peeling upholstery.

We had the same issue with our Lexington. Our sofa and driver/passenger seats started peeling. We found some really nice Carhart seat covers for the driver/passenger sears. They are an excellent fit for the Ford E450. For the sofa, we just removed it and replaced it with two recliners which are much more comfortable. While at it we had our dinette cushions recovered at a local marine upholstery shop. It cost a few bucks but, we are happy with the results. We also had the windows tinted because my opinion was this was caused by uv rays.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #14

I own a 2016 Prime Time Crusader Lite 5th wheel, built by a division of Forrest River, our couch and twin recliners peeled like a cooked tomato, I threw the trash out to the curb. It sure is strange that all furniture that comes with Forrest Rivers products have the same problems. All (bclemens) is doing is trying to blow smoke up our asses, I know better. That fake leather will last until the warranty runs out and then your on your own. I have a recliner in my home that is 15 yrs old, sat in every day and it is still in great condition. I am going to put the old recliner in our 5th wheel and buy a new one for our home. Doing the same for the wife.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
It sure is strange that all furniture that comes with Forrest Rivers products have the same problems. All (bclemens) is doing is trying to blow smoke up our asses, I know better. That fake leather will last until the warranty runs out and then your on your own. I have a recliner in my home that is 15 yrs old, sat in every day and it is still in great condition. I am going to put the old recliner in our 5th wheel and buy a new one for our home. Doing the same for the wife.
Is it strange? How about doing a google search on this as opposed to wild claims. Maybe it was not the RV OEM, but the fabric supplier (which pretty much supplies the entire industry)

Tiffin furniture peeling, Newmar furniture peeling, Winnebago furniture peeling, Thor furniture peeling, Flexsteel furniture peeling.

All I am trying to do, is pass on what I know. That's it.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #16

I did not buy our 5th wheel from a fabric manufacturer, I purchase it from a dealership that sells Prime Time. Why don't you visit the local John Deere dealer and borrow one of their tractors to pull you head out of your ass. I would expect the manufactured of the travel trailer to supply it with furniture that last longer than the driveway into the manufacturing facility. Go blow your smoke somewhere else.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
I did not buy our 5th wheel from a fabric manufacturer, I purchase it from a dealership that sells Prime Time. Why don't you visit the local John Deere dealer and borrow one of their tractors to pull you head out of your ass. I would expect the manufactured of the travel trailer to supply it with furniture that last longer than the driveway into the manufacturing facility. Go blow your smoke somewhere else.
While I appreciate the colorful metaphor, I was simply responding to your "It sure is strange that all furniture that comes with Forrest Rivers products have the same problems"

When in fact, not all furniture from Forest River does have the same problems and is also a problem that affected ALL mfg's, not just Forest River as you infer.

As for going elsewhere...this is a Dynamax sub-forum, discussing Dynamax product. I would go to the Primetime sub-forum, but I do not pretend to know anything about that product, so I stick here.

Now if I can get back to trying to help Dynamax customers with issues so they are "not on their own", I don't think we have fully explored all options with the original poster/Dynamax customer.

And Admins, feel free to clean this thread up so that we are simply focusing on the problem at hand. No need to explain, I understand.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #18

Seriously guys? Name calling isn't helpful or productive. And, yes, I had a FR product with the same issue. It is (or, I hope, was) an industry wide problem. At least Dynamax is offering a solution at cost.
Andersen hitch
Old 09-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #19

Read the thread . I have tend to agree with the poster . 100,000 of thousands of dollars for a unit and a worthless 1 yr warranty that the manufactures just can't wait to get past . doesn't matter if all manufacture's had issues with the upholstery . what matters is what FR does with it . if they say to bad so sad . then they are no better then the rest . if they step up to the plate and offer a fix then they are showing they care to a point . Charging for it makes it even worse . if this were yrs old then a different story but it's not . if the manufacture loses a bit then so be it it's called customer service and a tax deduction . bite the bullet and fix it up or lose customers to faulty components
Old 09-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't have a dog in this fight. But I think it is above and beyond BClemens duty to chime in on problems that are being vented on a 3rd party website.

I appreciate your efforts BClemens and hope you don't take some folks words personal.
Closed Thread