Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Yes, take the $10k and use it to fund the loss you will take when you trade it in on a 3.6L! the 2.0 is gutless!!! you will not be happy, especially when you hit a hill with 2 people. I couldn't imagine trying to wheel one.
You realize the 2.0 turbo has more torque than the 3.6l, a few less HP but more torque, so how do you claim it is gutless?

More torque, better mileage, seems like a better decision.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
You realize the 2.0 turbo has more torque than the 3.6l, a few less HP but more torque, so how do you claim it is gutless?

More torque, better mileage, seems like a better decision.
It's got potential.. but reliability is what would potentially stop me. Time will tell. Power should be great though with the turbo.

I would watch out for recommendation from JK owners. They have a bit of tunnel vision. It's much different. No reason to waste a bunch of money on it. You spent plenty on the Rubicon package and unlike the JK it came with some stout stuff. 10k is totally unnecessary. Slap some tires on, 35s, maybe the simple spacer lift and it will be good for more than you can throw at it and drive nice.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo9 View Post
It's got potential.. but reliability is what would potentially stop me. Time will tell. Power should be great though with the turbo.

I would watch out for recommendation from JK owners. They have a bit of tunnel vision. It's much different. No reason to waste a bunch of money on it. You spent plenty on the Rubicon package and unlike the JK it came with some stout stuff. 10k is totally unnecessary. Slap some tires on, 35s, maybe the simple spacer lift and it will be good for more than you can throw at it and drive nice.
What are you basing your concern on the 2.0 on? This is not a brand new engine design. Fiat and other manufacturer's have sold a bazillion of vehicles in Europe using this engine. I'm sure it's been tweaked slightly to meet US emissions standards but I would have no concern with this engine.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
What are you basing your concern on the 2.0 on? This is not a brand new engine design. Fiat and other manufacturer's have sold a bazillion of vehicles in Europe using this engine. I'm sure it's been tweaked slightly to meet US emissions standards but I would have no concern with this engine.
My concern is FCA as a whole, they do not have a solid track record for reliability or quality control.

Same story was said about the 3.0 diesel... they are a mess in the US.

Every time something changes with FCA they tend to have quality control issues for a few years. Time will tell though. The statistics don't lie.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
If it's a road queen and only used offroad once or twice a year, keep the weight down and keep it lower to the ground, add oversized disc brakes Tera-Flex, Teraflex Tie Rod and Tracking Bar...

And QUIET All terrain tires...
What are your favorite quiet all-terrain tires? My use case is as you describe.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #26

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Size: 275/65R18 XL...5 lbs lighter than a stock tire... 18" light weight rims...17" is better for Jeeping offroad...

They make a Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT it is a heavier truck tire and will weigh more than stock tires the XL is lighter in weight...

Heavy Bumpers, Rock Guards, Racks, Jacks, all equal to POOR performance and handling...keep the weight down at all cost...

I have taken my Jeep up through Rainbow Falls OHV in Colorado Stock Suspension (Keeping it lower to ground equates to better handling and stability period)

Did some rock trails in Arkansas a few months ago, no issues...

Mine is Super Charged with a Magnuson Charger 3.8L 2010 model...swapped gearing to 4.56...pull a 14ft trailer loaded with 3 X 500lb ATV's all day long at 80 mph with cruise control set...

They do make Fox Shocks for stock suspension (0"-2" Lift) just put a set on mine...I would run with stock suspension and IF I found that I required a lift it would probably be 2" only and the Fox shocks would still work...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #27

Quote:

The “JK owners” do research also and are pretty smart folks. If you don’t have positive things to say please just keep it to yourself. I think if you read this “JK owners” post I said the new axels are stronger and are not experiencing the same issues as the JK front axels and to stick with 35’s. I don’t agree with spacer lift over 1” as spacer lifts changes the center of gravity and causes more body roll...not the good kind.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #28

I own a TJ, JK and looking at the JL, so I guess all I have is tunnel vision. I have a Ram Rebel too, been a Mopar and Jeep family since I can remember, no issues here.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
So, I’m taking the plunge! My Jeep arrives this week and after looking at pictures from Anchors Down it’s clear this group has a lot of expertise. So, I thought it would be fun to find out how you would upfit a JL with a $10K budget.

Here’s what we have to work with:
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2.0 L Turbo
8-speed Auto
Bright White
Black Interior

$10K budget, GO!

Attachment 183162
Been driving Jeeps since the 60's.

You have a Rubicon, since you have not stated your intentions I will say this:

In its box stock shape there are few trails in the US your rig will not go IF you have the driving ability.

But if you got money to burn then go with some F/R bumpers that turn you on and some good rocker guards.

Your Jeep has a clean under carriage, yes you can make it better but do you need to...not likely. So I would go with one size taller tires, one size only, you don't need 35's and you sure don't need 37's.

37's in a MTR/KM2 is going to give you about 120 lbs of rotating weight and eat mpg like candy and you just don't a tire that big unless you want to add on all the stuff it takes you makes use of them. I would not put them on D 44 axles to begin with, you would be way over the parameter of what that axle can handle for the long haul.

But if you want to go that route and you stopped off at my shop to have it built: I would put you in a set of DynaTrac ProRock 60's, High Pinion, 4:88 gears and ARB lockers or maybe a Detroit, maybe. F/R installed complete about $20k. Then go completely flat under the belly, add in 3 in lift, 4 max, realign drive train. At that point you can (IF you can drive it) 99.9% of every trail in the US and Mexico AND you can still use it as a daily driver, I put 88k miles on mine like that and a lot of other mods to protect it...you can go as far as you want, you are already at a $60k rig and dropping another $75k will put you in running with the big boys.

I used to tell guys, jump in my Jeep I am going to take you out on a couple of trails I know and show you how it can perform. In fact what I was really doing was seeing when they said I need to get out before you do that. Most folks really don't have any intentions of every driving at the extreme limits, it can be very dangerous and you rig need to be built and reinforced to travel in those circles or you can destroy it in a second.

Take some of that money, and do yourself and others a favor and buy a good quality winch, I am a Warn winch guy, you don't have to be but I have done some amazing things with a Warn winch and save many a Jeep and a few lives along the way.

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #30

Some of the info in this thread is just flat out false.

For example I get 18mpg avg dailiy driving heavy ass 37s (135 lb wheel and tire combo) 50 miles round trip every day. The fact is the difference between 35s and 37s with a little more lift on the long wheel base jeeps makes a night and day difference for dragging belly over stuff.

I’m not going to speak to gearing on the JL as I don’t have experience with the new gear ratios
Old 08-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
The “JK owners” do research also and are pretty smart folks. If you don’t have positive things to say please just keep it to yourself. I think if you read this “JK owners” post I said the new axels are stronger and are not experiencing the same issues as the JK front axels and to stick with 35’s. I don’t agree with spacer lift over 1” as spacer lifts changes the center of gravity and causes more body roll...not the good kind.
Don't take it personally and I don't see a need to only say positive things. There are some JK focused responses here that really don't apply anymore. e.g: re-gear necessary, 2.0 is a dog with no power....

There is some false information for sure.

The only thing negative I said was the 2.0 is a question mark for reliability and that FCA has had a lot of initial quality control issues with the JL. To me that is worth knowing as is a roll of the dice to buy one at the moment. And possibly a questionable move to sink another 10k into modifications (which is what the post started out as)

I said they are killer off-road capability wise out of the box and there is no need to spend more money on a Rubicon JL unless you really want bigger tires and maybe a small lift and cleaner belly for extreme use (which most people don't have the nerve or desire to do anyway). To push a jeep to where the 37s are really needed... its going to get beat up and put you in some very sketchy situations. Which is fine if that is your MO, but The JL rubicon is pretty much perfectly setup from mixed use from the factory for the avg buyer.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #32

I can confirm that I am an example of both “beat up” and “sketchy situations”

That said some people just like the way 37s look

I can confirm it flat tows ok on 37s too
Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I can confirm that I am an example of both “beat up” and “sketchy situations”

That said some people just like the way 37s look

I can confirm it flat tows ok on 37s too
No doubt they look good, but it is a hefty price to pay on a daily driver/mall crawler for looks.

A friend posted this meme the other day. Thought it was pretty funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40s.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	183499  
Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #34

Haha that’s great.

It’s a hefty price indeed but I’m of the buy once and be happy crowd. I daily drive 50 miles round trip and wheel the heck out of it. But I know not everybody does. I just know too many people that are in that constant state of upgrade because they don’t want to commit. It’s way more expensive when you do it 3 times
Old 08-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #35

I still don't understand why you think an 8spd trans is going to solve gearing issues if you run 37s? It will probably help on bottom end acceleration but it will still screw up the ideal shift points. With a diesel it will be out of it's powerband. And you will for sure have the trans bouncing in and out of 7-8 gear on every little incline on the highway

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #36

For a
Daily driver, 35’s and you can probably get away without regearing on the 8 speed trans. 2.5” suspension lift, definitely no spacer kit for that amount. Tereflex, AEV OR RK. (Rock Krawler)

Bumpers, a few lights and enjoy. Get some real rub rails, not the decorative kind like N2 that’ll cause damage if you go off road.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I still don't understand why you think an 8spd trans is going to solve gearing issues if you run 37s? It will probably help on bottom end acceleration but it will still screw up the ideal shift points. With a diesel it will be out of it's powerband. And you will for sure have the trans bouncing in and out of 7-8 gear on every little incline on the highway
Because I've seen it work and it is fine even in the mountains... Transmission is torque multiplication just like the ring and pinion is. You can put the reduction wherever you like. In general, more speeds give you a more versatile drive-train. The main advantage to R&P reduction over a wider range transmission with more speeds is the the torque multiplication is isolated further back..

37s on a JK with stock gearing would be pretty painful. it seems to be quite livable in a JL Rubicon. I'm sure you need 7th gear more often than stock, but no biggie. BTW it's a 2.0 gas motor.. not a diesel.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Because I've seen it work and it is fine even in the mountains... Transmission is torque multiplication just like the ring and pinion is. You can put the reduction wherever you like. In general, more speeds give you a more versatile drive-train. The main advantage to R&P reduction over a wider range transmission with more speeds is the the torque multiplication is isolated further back..

37s on a JK with stock gearing would be pretty painful. it seems to be quite livable in a JL Rubicon. I'm sure you need 7th gear more often than stock, but no biggie. BTW it's a 2.0 gas motor.. not a diesel.
I agree. Randy, you’d have to drive one to understand. The 3.6 with 8’speed trans feels as peppy as my 6.4 liter with 5 speed. Highway may not help much but driving around town, I think you could do 37’s, 35’s easily.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Haha that’s great.

It’s a hefty price indeed but I’m of the buy once and be happy crowd. I daily drive 50 miles round trip and wheel the heck out of it. But I know not everybody does. I just know too many people that are in that constant state of upgrade because they don’t want to commit. It’s way more expensive when you do it 3 times

18 MPG?.....you must drive to work down hills both ways in sunny warm weather ....but seriously, that is good. Pre supercharger I was around 13 and post I’m around 14, LOL....hwy is 16’ish on a good day.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
18 MPG?.....you must drive to work down hills both ways in sunny warm weather ....but seriously, that is good. Pre supercharger I was around 13 and post I’m around 14, LOL....hwy is 16’ish on a good day.
The only way that I would get 18 mpg out of my Supercharged 3.8 is if I dropped mine out of a 747 from 40,000 feet...

When I park too close to the fuel pumps they start leaning over toward my Jeep...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote