Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

Upgrade from Isata 5 to Force HD

I have no idea how many Dynamax owners are on this forum, but thought I would give it a shot. I am a pretty new owner of an Isata 5 36DS and love it. The Dodge Ram5500 chassis and Cummins engine are a dream. But from what I understand its not uncommon for guys like me to upgrade shortly after venturing into the RV life. So, here I am. Its not a great time to be a buyer because the inventory is flying off the lots before they get on the lots. So I am trying to virtually shop. So stepping up to the Freightliner chassis seems pretty reasonable. In that line I am leaning towards the Force HD. It seems to have everything I need, at a better price point than the DX3 or Dynaquest. But that's more budgetary than anything else. Any Dynamax Freightliner chassis owners offer any opinions, especially Force HD owners? I have had a CDL for 4+ decades and have driven many trucks. One thing that amazed me is the highway stability of the Isata5 on the Ram5500 chassis. 70+mph passing or being passed by 18 wheelers and if you didn't see them, you wouldn't know they were there. Very impressive. How does the Freightliner ride compare? How about turning radius, engine sound level? Since it seems I may not get to drive one before buying one, I figured some seasoned reviews might be out there. Thanks
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #2

Prior to our DX3 I pulled a 40' 20K lb 5ver with a RAM 3500 dually. Traded that in for our DX3 and drove it directly to AZ. I was immediately comfortable with it with no problem. It was a 'piece of cake'. Easy to park and maneuver. And I don't even have your experience. Don't feel the semi's passing, or at least don't notice them. Noise - - Never thought about it. Everybody is different, but I'm just a plain old guy that adapts easily to different environments. There is a lot of experience on this forum. Others will have a better review.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #3

I pulled a 30 ft Airstream with a Ram 2500 for two years and loved it. Traded the whole rig on our Dynaquest XL. Drove the new rig from California (where we bought it) to Arizona the next day and on to Utah after that. Dropped a friend off at the airport in Albuquerque and drove the rest of the way to our home in Florida by myself. So, I would say it is very easy to drive, handles great and is rock steady on the road. Noisier than the 2500, but that’s to be expected, however it is not unpleasant.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #4

We did this change from I5 36DS 4x4 to our XL37RB. I agree that the I5 drove very nice but I was never really comfortable with the breaking power/distance. While I never had an issue I was always leaving plenty of room just in case. We only owned it one year before we sold it and purchased the XL. When we went to look at and test drive an XL I was very impressed with both the ease of driving, the height which provides much better visibility and the air brakes are just awesome. Within the first 5 minutes of driving it (Orange County CA) in lots of freeway traffic, I felt so comfortable with the braking power. It was instantly a "I'm going to be very happy" with this set up moment.

Since that time we ordered and took delivery and have been using our coach for 1 1/2 years with 16,000 miles now. We've driven from West Coast to East Coast and back with absolutely no issues. The drive, tracking and ride are very comfortable. I've not driven a DX so can't weigh in on that config with the lower HP and Torque. We pull a Jeep Wrangler (four down) full time and are always under the max gross weight combined. I can say that I never ever feel like I need more power on inclines and just love the engine braking (high and low feature) which make steep decent a breeze with very intermittent need to use the brakes.

Highly recommend the upgrade from I5 to M2 chassis (if nothing more than for the visibility, air brakes and CCC).

Love this coach and now working on mods to make it our own. Fun times.

Cheers and good hunting,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #5

These are all great responses and advice. Thanks so much. Confirms what I was already assuming, but being a bit impulsive, I am glad this forum has shown its value once again.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

I came up this thread about ride and sound on a DX3. Not sure what that is all about.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ll-163288.html
Old 10-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Then there is this new Force HD that boasts about the great ride and handling. Seems like that other link i sent may have just been an anomaly. I'm still sold on the M2 chassis upgrade.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...it-213060.html
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

I remember LTZ. A total Whiner about everything. No credibility.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #9

The thread rambles on. I only quickly read the first couple pages. I thought maybe the guy has no experience driving a big truck. Your explanations makes sense also.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

I put 36,000 miles on our Isata 5 36 DS but had difficulty staying within the CCC weight limits particularly on the front axle.

Now driving a Freightliner S2RV and appreciate the air brakes and higher weight limits. Though the rig needs more power. The pass through in the basement was the deciding factor for me over the M2. And the few times I drive in the mountains will be the only times the lack of power is an issue.

I do miss the nicer cab of the RAM... Freightliners are commercial cabs lacking the niceties of the RAM cab not to mention crash air bags.

Another plus is the Freightliner service is much easier and available than RAM. I could not find a RAM dealer that would replace my fuel pump in the tank. Seriously, after dozens of calls to dealers. I gave up and installed an AirDog external fuel pump and filter. BTW, I did notice a difference at freeway entrances and big hills with the AirDog.

Any truck stop can service a Freightliner and their dealers are everywhere. Also, the 22.5 inch tires at an under weight limit seem safer to me than the RAM's tires at, or over, the weight limits... did I mention the air brakes.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #11

Gentlemen
In working on my order sheet for a new Force HD (or DX3 of XL) I see an option for a Garmin in-dash navigation. Any experience with this? Good option? In my Isata 5 I just used my android nav but had to get a cell phone bracket, which is useful for calls anyway.
As far as choice from the 3 models, one of the main things I like about the Force HD is that you still have the LP furnace, cooktop and on-demand HW. The LP furnace heats the entire coach up in a couple of minutes. The on-demand hot water never runs out, and if boondocking you are not reliant on running the generator, at 1gph, for heat, cooking and showers. Actually I was surprised from reading the forums that the generator uses as much diesel as it does. Quite measurable and something to consider of away from shore power for any length of time. I would say 75% of my experience traveling isn't so much intentional boondocking, as it is sleeping in rest areas and truck stops with no facilities.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #12

I don’t know if the Force HD has the option for the AquaHot system, but if it does, I would highly recommend it. We have an all electric XL and love it. For us, the AquaHot offers unlimited hot water, coach heating that is fantastic and has a very economical diesel fuel burn. I particularly enjoy only having one fuel source to fill and, last time I checked, diesel was significantly cheaper than propane and has a lower flash point. Having no flames inside the coach, whether for heating or cooking is a bonus for us.
After having an Airstream with propane onboard, an all electric option has been a delight for us.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #13

Good points. Force HD has no Aquahot option. I saw a thread a short while ago about a new model coming out that may be sort of a Force HD/DX3 hybrid that would have the Aquahot option, but its not fully announced. And now I can't find that thread. But I doubt I will wait anyway. I guess I will search a bit more on the Aquahot, and all electric. I'm sure there is a thread out there. In fact I know there is because i remember reading about it. I think its the same one that mentioned the new, unannounced model. And I didn't think its the Europa. Haven't found a "save" threads you like feature yet. Sometimes I just "share" them to my email.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Good points. Force HD has no Aquahot option. I saw a thread a short while ago about a new model coming out that may be sort of a Force HD/DX3 hybrid that would have the Aquahot option, but its not fully announced. And now I can't find that thread. But I doubt I will wait anyway. I guess I will search a bit more on the Aquahot, and all electric. I'm sure there is a thread out there. In fact I know there is because i remember reading about it. I think its the same one that mentioned the new, unannounced model. And I didn't think its the Europa. Haven't found a "save" threads you like feature yet. Sometimes I just "share" them to my email.
We went with the DX3 over the Force because of the all electric package and the aquahot, I never liked having to deal with another fuel source. With their 34' model it seemed like it was just just small enough to justify it over the 37' series. The 2020 DX3 34kd we test drove, drove absolutely wonderful.
Jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #15

I have a Force HD bunkhouse and like it. Did a lot of comparing-Jaco and Renegade. Jayco cheaper but not as nice. Renegade-lots more but not lots more nice. Looked at the Ram-the camper is tight when compared to the Force. Driving it-its good, reliable and is pretty smooth. I have driven through the Smokey mountains and Black Hills on twisty roads and am able to go at a traffic flowing speed. Handling is really good, especially when considering the size of this RV. Power-its good and allows me to climb steep grades in the fast lane. MPG is very good. DEF usage is low. Noise level is decent with few rattles. Its a good coach.
The only thing I don't like-its the complexity of the TV systems. Having the ability to run separate channels on every TV in the coach adds a level cost and complexity that does not seem worth it. I would rather have a better quality TV in the living room and bedroom as opposed to a TV everywhere.This complaint is more of a personal preference than anything. To solve the issue, I simply got a Firestick-plugged it into the back of the TV and watch via WIFI. Problem solved.
The additions I am having done-getting the front wheels perfectly balanced (maybe with beads). I also plan on a steering stabilizer.
Tips: don't put heavy stuff in the overheads-keep it low. Put heavy items in the lower bay right in front of rear wheels. Balance your loads side to side if you want this beast to drive like a pick up.
Don't let the truck idle-it shortens life of particulate filter.
Manually shift transmission in the hills to keep the engine at 1500 RPM-its a good engine speed that prevents lugging (the transmission is not that good at making the best gear selection).
When planning on shutting engine off, plan ahead to allow turbo to slow down. Once engine is off, the turbo can remain spinning if driven at a higher speed, then shutting off. Plan ahead and the engine will give you a long service.
I would buy another one if I had to.
Hoefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I remember LTZ. A total Whiner about everything. No credibility.

In doing my research, he is one of those 'unhappy campers' and he is all over the place on the net.

There are far more happy campers though and we are very much looking forward to joining the Dynamax family.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #17

FWIW boondocking in New Mexico in June for two weeks with highs over 100, we averaged more like 1/2gal/hr on the generator.

After living with the aqua hot I'd never go back to a furnace IMO
Old 03-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #18

Am i correct in thinking the aquahot requires either shore power or generator to operate properly. Verses at least a few hours on battery and inverter? Because much of my decision on keeping propane was exactly that. Boondocking without generator running, at least if you want heat.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #19

Aquahot should be able to run off diesel as well. What I've read, diesel is a "hotter water" solution too.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Am i correct in thinking the aquahot requires either shore power or generator to operate properly. Verses at least a few hours on battery and inverter? Because much of my decision on keeping propane was exactly that. Boondocking without generator running, at least if you want heat.
The aqua hot control, pumps and fans are all 12 volt with diesel as the heating fuel.

I boondock periodically and easily get overnight without needing generator power in the fall, which includes a standard refrig, tvs and sat dish.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade