Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #1

USB OUTLET NO POWER Isata 3

I have no power at dinette outlets. Checked 12v fuses, all tested good with multi meter. I donít know which circuit it is on, nothing on panel indicates USB. Canít check bed side USBs do to storage are not wide enough to use slide out. Any help would be appreciated

pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
I have no power at dinette outlets. Checked 12v fuses, all tested good with multi meter. I donít know which circuit it is on, nothing on panel indicates USB. Canít check bed side USBs do to storage are not wide enough to use slide out. Any help would be appreciated

There is a plug connector laying on the floor under the wardrobe in the slide out. Remove one or both drawers under it for access. It may not be properly fastened.

xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

What model is your Isata 3? We have an RW an d the wardrobe is not part of the slide out. Had the same problem, took it I. For warranty work and they fixed it, but have no idea what they did. Would like to know if it happens again
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlamp View Post
What model is your Isata 3? We have an RW an d the wardrobe is not part of the slide out. Had the same problem, took it I. For warranty work and they fixed it, but have no idea what they did. Would like to know if it happens again

Sorry, I forget about those. I have an FW.

Did you check the connections on the back of the USB outlet? They are insulated Fastek style connectors and I've noticed that the manufacturer used the wrong type (meant for uninsulated connectors) of crimper throughout mine. I've had to reterminate a few.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Motorized GM

After I read about 20 warranty claims for USB ports, I think I asked us to find a new supplier. Most of that stuff comes from China and I think the failure rate is high.

If its not a fuse...you should be able to pop them out and test the power. If the power is good and the connection is good, its likely just a bad USB and needs to be replaced.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

usb plugs

Have a friend with a brand new Airstream, all 4 bedroom USB plugs went bad within a month. Turned out to be the USB plugs not the wiring. Must be a common supplier. Bought replacements on EBAY for around $9.00 for double plugs. Cheaper than hauling it 3 1/2 hours away for warranty work.
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information. When I can I will check and let you know what I find. It is a 2017 FW
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #8

Check polarity. One of mine was installed reverse
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #9

What we were told by our dealer after our USB charge outlets failed, is that they do not handle the iPads. My wife had used it to charge her iPad and after that was unable to use it charge her cell phone. It seems that the iPads, during the charge cycle, draw too much current, beyond what the USB charge port is capable of handling. My dealer replaced it under warranty and provided us with the warning not to use it to charge the iPad.

I hope this helps.
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Site Team

If the USB charge ports are compliant, they will have an overcurrent shutdown to protect them. Charging an ipad will sometimes trip it. Once they shutdown, they need top be reset by removing the power for 30 sec or so. In an RV this probably means removing the fuse that protects them. May not be your issue, but worth a try.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duby325 View Post
What we were told by our dealer after our USB charge outlets failed, is that they do not handle the iPads. My wife had used it to charge her iPad and after that was unable to use it charge her cell phone. It seems that the iPads, during the charge cycle, draw too much current, beyond what the USB charge port is capable of handling. My dealer replaced it under warranty and provided us with the warning not to use it to charge the iPad.

I hope this helps.
We have been charging our IPads everyday while camping with no issues since last year.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Motorized GM

Some of that unfortunately depends on the iPad. I think starting with the Air?? they drew more. That's one of the things we talked about, because a lot of them are rated at 5A....but total power. So if you try and charge an iPad and a phone it won't work. Which is confusing to most people.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 04-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Some of that unfortunately depends on the iPad. I think starting with the Air?? they drew more. That's one of the things we talked about, because a lot of them are rated at 5A....but total power. So if you try and charge an iPad and a phone it won't work. Which is confusing to most people.
Mine is an iPad Pro and my wife's is iPad Air. No issues with either. I can't remember if we've tried to charge both at the same time. I thought the outlets were independent of each other. Are you saying there is a central transformer for all the outlets?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
Motorized GM

No, but I don't know if you have the single USB outlet or the double. I'm referring to when there is a pair, stacked in a single outlet.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
No, but I don't know if you have the single USB outlet or the double. I'm referring to when there is a pair, stacked in a single outlet.
Double outlet in the living room above the dinette.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
Motorized GM

Then we meant to do that
Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Then we meant to do that
Does the double use one transformer?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
Motorized GM

No...we get USB's that are native 12V...so that they are wired into the 12V system and will work without the Gen.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
No...we get USB's that are native 12V...so that they are wired into the 12V system and will work without the Gen.
I'm confused as usual. The iPad charger has an output of 5.2 volts so your USB plugs must reduce 12V to 5.2 some how.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
Motorized GM

I thought the phone did that, but who knows. I was thinking more along the lines of a 120V USB that that has the large wall wart that converts it.

I know the phone can charge on the iPad wall wart...so I assume that is regulated by the phone/battery. The USB's we install just look like a circuit board...very small. So maybe there is logic there to determine the required draw, but I don't think Apple would leave that up to the charging system to handle. That would be unlike them.

Tags
power