Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Using CPAP in an Isata

In an earlier thread regarding which 110 volt AC outlets were on the inverter in the Isata 3 it was noted that the bedside 110 volt AC outlets were not supplied by the inverter. Thus to use a CPAP machine in the Isata 3, it would be necessary to run an extension cord from the 110 volt AC TV outlet on the distant wall to the machine, or rewire the 12 volt bedside USB outlet with a conventional 12 volt outlet and purchase a 12 volt adaptor for the CPAP machine.

Running the extension cord would work, but you would have to deal with the inconvenience of the long cord and the possible safety issue of tripping over the cord every time you get in or out of bed.

The option of modifying the 12 volt USB bedside plug would also work as long as the amperage of the existing 12 volt USB circuit is sufficient to support a CPAP machine. CPAP machines draw 50-90 watts, so you would need a 12 volt circuit rated at 5 - 7 amps minimum.

Does anyone know what the amp rating is for the bedside 12 volt USB circuit?

Can you special order from Dynamax to have the bedside 110 volt AC circuits connected to the inverter on a new purchase? If not, how hard would it be to modify it aftermarket?

Approximately 2,000,000 people use CPAP. Would Dynamax consider making this a regular feature on future units? If connected to an inverter, the bedside 110 volt AC outlets could also be used for small heating pads and nightlights, etc. I think this would be an excellent upgrade to an already outstanding product and a good marketing tool for Dynamax.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

USB is 2A at max, and that's at 5V. So we'll less than 1A at 12V.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the info on the USB Port. I wonder if the wiring to the port can carry more amps such that a heavy duty 12 volt receptacle could be attached directly to the circuit?
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
Thanks for the info on the USB Port. I wonder if the wiring to the port can carry more amps such that a heavy duty 12 volt receptacle could be attached directly to the circuit?
It's all about wire gauge & amps. How many amps does your CPAP draw at 12volts and is the wire gauge feeding the USB port large enough to handle those amps? Fuses are typically sized to protect the wire size.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
USB is 2A at max, and that's at 5V. So we'll less than 1A at 12V.
Current USB standards are rated more than twice that. That said, I would be looking for some other solution than USB for powering a CPAP.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

We ordered a fifth wheel in December.

I had a 12 volt car type outlet installed in the bedroom for the CPAP. They charged me $100 for it. It should not be a very hard job.

The 12 volt adapter for the CPAP was $30.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Just realize anything is possible. Whether we do it, the dealer does it or you do it....there are that many people using a CPAP and I don't know of a single one that was not able to make it work with very little effort. The main panel is in the bed base so you have lots of 110V options, there are lots of 12V (not just USB port) available. Just let your dealer know what you want. There are also lithium battery powered CPAP's that charge over USB.

Point being...there are a dozen ways it can be done on just about every coach out there so I wouldn't make that a buying decision item.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Brian, where is the main panel located on a 24RW?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I think it is in the sink base? I can''t remember if the 12V is separate from the 110V. Next time I am out in the plant I'll take a look.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think it is in the sink base? I can''t remember if the 12V is separate from the 110V. Next time I am out in the plant I'll take a look.
Maybe a few photos while your at it
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I take that back...they are both in the sink base now. But there is 110V and 12 V in the bed base.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
In an earlier thread regarding which 110 volt AC outlets were on the inverter in the Isata 3 it was noted that the bedside 110 volt AC outlets were not supplied by the inverter. Thus to use a CPAP machine in the Isata 3, it would be necessary to run an extension cord from the 110 volt AC TV outlet on the distant wall to the machine, or rewire the 12 volt bedside USB outlet with a conventional 12 volt outlet and purchase a 12 volt adaptor for the CPAP machine.

Running the extension cord would work, but you would have to deal with the inconvenience of the long cord and the possible safety issue of tripping over the cord every time you get in or out of bed.

The option of modifying the 12 volt USB bedside plug would also work as long as the amperage of the existing 12 volt USB circuit is sufficient to support a CPAP machine. CPAP machines draw 50-90 watts, so you would need a 12 volt circuit rated at 5 - 7 amps minimum.

Does anyone know what the amp rating is for the bedside 12 volt USB circuit?

Can you special order from Dynamax to have the bedside 110 volt AC circuits connected to the inverter on a new purchase? If not, how hard would it be to modify it aftermarket?

Approximately 2,000,000 people use CPAP. Would Dynamax consider making this a regular feature on future units? If connected to an inverter, the bedside 110 volt AC outlets could also be used for small heating pads and nightlights, etc. I think this would be an excellent upgrade to an already outstanding product and a good marketing tool for Dynamax.

Most cpap machines seem to be 12v at the core. Of three machines I have had, all had a 120 v power brick or big wall wart, with 12v dc going in and all had a 12v cigarette lighter plug as an option. Twice I got the factory optional cord and once I made up a cord. Damn things all three had different plugs. I have do problem running even my heater device on low setting. Fully charged pair of golf cart batteries pull it no sweat.

If you have to RUn the 12v for your outlet I took it from the bathroom fan which had plenty of amperage on one outlet and direct from the batteries on the other.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote