Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #1

Very happy with stereo upgrade from stock

Hello all,
I've been working on a stereo system upgrade.

I kept the Kenwood head (good unit) and changed the following:

1). Two cab factory speakers (with Focal brand)
2). Two house ceiling factory speakers (with Focal brand)
3). Added two additional speakers (Focal brand) in the center console.
4). Added a four channel speaker power amplifier. I connected the cab and center console speakers on the front channel and the house speakers to the rear channel. If you do this you need to be sure the amp can drive into 2 ohms. (The amp is sitting above the factory stereo head unit (a little tricky to do).
5). Added two Alpine 8" powered sub-woofers (mounted behind the driver and passenger seats.
5). Added some audio vibration/sound damping below the cab factory speakers.
6). Added some audio vibration/sound damping in the center console.
7). Added the power, remote control, and audio cabling to all the new speakers, used the factory wiring for the existing speaker locations.
8). Deleted the "Parking Switch" connection (e.g. tied to ground) to enable watching video anytime, not that we do this anyway, but just to have the option is nice.
9). Balanced and equalized the system and what a difference!

Total cost (for materials) was ~$1400. I had this job quoted by the stereo shop where I purchased the speakers and amp and they estimated ~$2800-3000 with the labor. I love doing my own work anyway so I know it's done correctly and I also learn new things about the coach each time (which I did, for one, I learned why the CB radio wasn't working so good. CB antenna BNC connection in the engine bay was not fully seated causing intermittent and high SWR. Also noticed the cabin air filter cover only has two of the three mounting provisions. It seems someone broke the right side and didn't bother to fix it. It would be a costly fix since the mounting provision is part of the blower assembly. So someone just left it that way. Sad really as this kind of stuff just shouldn't happen. The person who broke it had to know as there is no way not to know it as parts would simply fall to the floor and there is no way to secure that side of the cover).

I also relocated the dash engine brake switch (swapped with the heated mirror switch). This puts that within an easy reach while driving. I can't figure out why they put it so far away in the first place. I use this H/L engine brake switch all the time. I used to have to reach over my TPMS display along with a couple of USB cable wires. I hated it. Now it will be much more ergonomic (and safer) to access. After all, I've never had to use the heated mirror switch yet. I actually forgot I had this feature when I was in very cold weather in Utah this December.

We are taking the long trip from Los Angeles to Savanna to join in the East Coast Owners Gathering so I needed to get this done. We'll be going to Austin for a week, then boon docking a few days to get to GA. We'll be staying on the East Coast through July, then heading back to CA.

See y'all soon.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #2

That sounds really nice! Might have to give it a test "drive" at the rally.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
I also relocated the dash engine brake switch (swapped with the heated mirror switch). This puts that within an easy reach while driving. I can't figure out why they put it so far away in the first place. I use this H/L engine brake switch all the time.
This is a stellar idea! Thanks for sharing.
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Freightliner puts it where they want it. Though we have asked for things to be moved...seems to be taking forever.

PS. We have been pretty happy with the JBL sound upgrade. 4 channel amp, new speakers, 8" sub. I tried door panels, but did not love the sound improvement vs. the cost.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:07 AM   #5

Wire harnesses behind dash are adequate lengths for relocation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch Relocation.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	250708  
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Wire harnesses behind dash are adequate lengths for relocation.
Great News! I was planning on cutting and splicing.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PS. We have been pretty happy with the JBL sound upgrade. 4 channel amp, new speakers, 8" sub. I tried door panels, but did not love the sound improvement vs. the cost.
We have the cab-over and leave the bed in. Traveling down the highway is very quite and we use normal conversation. The music sound is more than adequate for us with the new sound system. It was blasting with half volume, afraid to crank it any higher!
Old 03-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #8

Yes, in my cab it took about 5 minutes to move the two switches. My chassis is a 2017 M2 106 for reference.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #9

I’m happy to demo the system at the rally to anyone interested. Bring your favorite artist to check it out. I’m still dialing in the crossover and gains but I can say it sounds awesome with no optimization. My better half is now nervous given the new toy. I’m a musician so she’s been living with my audiophile nature for 40 years! Can’t believe it took me this long to do the mod. Safe travels.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBee View Post
Yes, in my cab it took about 5 minutes to move the two switches. My chassis is a 2017 M2 106 for reference.

Isn’t yours a M2 112? You have an XL, right?
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Yep, it’s a 112. Not sure why I said 106. Thx.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #12

So, first road trip (to get some house warranty work done) since installing the stereo upgrades. What a difference from the stock system. Much more clear and excellent frequency response. The Kenwood (factory installed) head unit is great as it has software features to adapt and equalize the system including cross-over points.

Also improved phone call audio while driving. Need to get a better mic but the voice is much easier to hear now.

I have one small item to fix (side camera's) are not coming on display when I use the turn signals. I may just leave it this way as I'm wasn't that fond of the switching anyway. I know the newer coaches have a dedicated display for all the cameras. I pretty much just like seeing the rear camera on the display when needed.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler

Tags
stereo, upgrade