Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

Viability of a split unit AC in an RV

I'm seeing more and more people replace their rooftop AC unit with residential split AC units. I just saw another clean install on a 5th wheel today and one of my friends is putting one in his travel trailer.

I would venture a guess that they are so much more efficient than an RV unit and I know they are definitely quieter than our roof top units.

Any idea why they are not more common in RV's?

If a residential fridge works in an RV, why wouldn't a residential AC unit work?

Maybe this is a good selling feature if it was incorporated into the Dynamax line?
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

Winnebego did them for awhile. I think the issue is that they eat up a storage bay. We couldn't fit one in on an I5 for example. Even the high end Prevost use the roof tops, usually about 5 of them. BC said that they are looking at a new unit that will be really quiet compared to what they've been using, I think is was in a recent thread on here?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Correct...its all about location. Roof real estate...you don't have a lot of uses for.

Lower storage is a whole other story. (no pun intended)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Correct...its all about location. Roof real estate...you don't have a lot of uses for.

Lower storage is a whole other story. (no pun intended)
Didn't you say recently that you were reviewing a quieter A/C unit?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Commercial Member

The Atwood is normally the quietest, then Coleman Mach 8 (what we use) is just slightly behind at 2nd and then Dometic seems to be the loudest of the 3. Coleman is working on a new AC with a variable speed setup, so once it's at temp it can move the same amount of air in low speed...

The Coleman mach we use today seems to be the best combo...doesn't turn on every minute to shinny's the air on heat pump, yet is pretty quiet. It's also already integrated with Spyder controls so we can control from the app instead of a wall T-stat.

So I don't know that "we" are looking, but they are.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #6

I like the Atwood, Not too loud, just enough to drone out the neighbors. Not loud enough to drone out the rally neighbors though!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

"I would venture a guess that they are so much more efficient than an RV unit and I know they are definitely quieter than our roof top units."

The mini splits are only a bit more efficient when cooling. An inverter allows the compressor to run at "just" the right slower speed to maintain interior temperature.

Their real efficiency is when heating. At about 40F most reverse cycle air cond will ice up and stop functioning till the ice melts. The computer on a mini split notices the icing and reverses its operation for a minute or two.

Yes, it air conditions the interior to use the heat to melt the ice outside , and then resumes heating.

Only complaint is some folks do not like the extra bit of noise when the unit resumes heating , it operates on higha short time , to make up for the cooling time.

Most units are about 300% more efficient at making heat than a simple resistance wire or element.

IF you are billed for electric , the higher price can save big bucks all winter.

Euroland electric is 2x or 4x the price of US electric so they are popular there for decades.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Total RV height will be an issue if you put a residential split unit on your roof. Another issue will be vibration because a lot of small split units use flare fittings (which can be prone to leaks) for the piping connections.
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote