Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #21

I'm back to trying to figure this out. The pos. wire connection turned out NOT to be the issue. I've wiggled every wire including the RJ11 connections and had someone else watch the screen. The Victron monitor just shuts off for a while and comes back on when it wants. A closer inspection of the RJ-11 connector to the shunt looks like it has some corrosion (see closeup photo).

My I5 is 6 months old and I live in a dry climate however, as mentioned above, the battery compartment and shunt are open to the elements. There is not enough excess cable to put a new RJ-11 connector on it. I'm not sure if it's the RJ-11 corrosion or a bad monitor at this point. I'm now concerned this is going to be a common issue with the Batt. compartment wide open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6054.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	256375  
Old 06-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #22

The shunt is weather sensitive and should be protected from the elements - especially water. I put an all-weather electrical box cover over my shunt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QDQRX7P

How I installed here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2261756

I still go back to my original comment – that it is likely the shunt that is failing.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
The shunt is weather sensitive and should be protected from the elements - especially water. I put an all-weather electrical box cover over my shunt.
TrailWayz, I'm going to copy your shunt box cover. I have it on order. I'll clean the connector with elec. cleaner, cover and hope this solves my problem. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #24

Some dielectric grease on the connector couldn't hurt either.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
I might have found the issue. I had my son watch the monitor and I wiggled all the wires to see if it would attempt to come back on. The pos. red wire where it connects to the battery seems to make the monitor flash some. It looks just fine but I'm guessing where the wire is crimped into the round connector it is loose. I'll redo this connection and hope that solves the issue.

BTW, as you can see, the battery compartment is very dirty. The new 34DS has an open battery compartment to the grit and grime from the road. It's time for me to clean this area.
I bought corrugated plastic (like the stuff they use to enclose trailer frames) and boxed in my rear battery compartment to avoid this. That was when I swapped in a 300AH lithium battery to the rig. I believe Dynamax should start enclosing their battery compartments for lithium installations. Mine was AGM so, understandably, the tray was open for venting.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #26

I'd love to see some photo illustrations of what you.did and more details on how.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
I'd love to see some photo illustrations of what you.did and more details on how.
I’m not near the rig but I can describe now. I cut out cardboard to leave holes for wires going though and then, using as template, cut out the corrugated plastic. Put self drilling screws into frame where I could and used zip ties to attach to back of battery tray. The bottom front piece is attached to lower frame under door and zip tied to the tray. The right side piece (back of rig) is wedged in and screwed to frame. Basically three sides that keep all but a little dust out of the area and most all moisture. The left side is already a wall. Enough to keep clean and battery from getting soaked from road spray.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #28

Did you cover the wiring (looks like an octopus!) that is attached to the forward wall of the compartment? I'm not just concerned about the batteries but also the wiring harness that start there. And runs all over the chassis.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #29

Back to my Victron 712 going off and on. Is it normal for the voltage to bounce around like this or is this part of my continuing issue? Video uploaded on YouTube. https://youtu.be/3dpFIANYQjQ
Old 06-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #30

Mine doesn't do that.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Back to my Victron 712 going off and on. Is it normal for the voltage to bounce around like this or is this part of my continuing issue? Video uploaded on YouTube. https://youtu.be/3dpFIANYQjQ
I really believe you are going to have to replace your shunt. If that little PC board got damaged by exposure to the elements, there is no going back. Replace the shunt, cover it up and you should be fine.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 06-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #32

Quote:
I really believe you are going to have to replace your shunt. If that little PC board got damaged by exposure to the elements, there is no going back. Replace the shunt, cover it up and you should be fine.
Now to find the shunt. Victron shows a new shunt without the RJ11 connection. If anyone knows where I can get it online, my monitor is the 712. It looks easy to replace. I’m still under warranty and will submit the receipt to Dynamax.

I just received the plastic box to cover it. Thanks for showing your mod on this.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #33

AMAZON

Perhaps that's it. That's a link, BTW.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Now to find the shunt. Victron shows a new shunt without the RJ11 connection. If anyone knows where I can get it online, my monitor is the 712. It looks easy to replace. I’m still under warranty and will submit the receipt to Dynamax.

I just received the plastic box to cover it. Thanks for showing your mod on this.
Have you reached out to Dynamax parts? They can probably send you the replacement.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 06-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Have you reached out to Dynamax parts? They can probably send you the replacement.
Well, I'm on approximately 3-4 months waiting on other parts from Dynamax (received some warranty parts but not everything). So, no I haven't, I'd like to get it fixed sooner than that. I know they are overwhelmed so this isn't a complaint it is just slow. So, if I could find it somewhere else that has it in stock, I'd be better off going in this direction.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #36

Here's just the PCB

LINK

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #37

Simply coat the RJ54 connectors with dielectric grease, then plug in. I’ve done this on communications equipment in the top of 100’ towers. Once you do that you will never have an issue.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #38

For what it's worth, I have a BMV-712. I love it, but I don't look at nor have I mounted the round display. I leave it in a small box in the pass through (cabled to the shunt). This is because the round display is what broadcasts the Bluetooth signal to my cellphone and thus to the Victron app. So I never look at the round display. But when I bought it, that was the cleanest way to get Bluetooth connectivity. Now you can buy the battery monitor with Bluetooth built-in to the shunt itself. And it's a lot less than what I paid for the 712. Here's the link to Amazon, it's $130.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...3975985&sr=8-4

When I did my lithium/solar/inverter installation I moved the shunt and everything into the pass through of my TT. Correction, I left the two batteries out on the tongue.

If there's a "fairly easy" way to move the new shunt inside, I would do that. If that's not fairly easy, then definitely use a weatherproof box as suggested above.

I know it's easy for me to spend other people's money, but if I wanted the problem solved quickly I'd buy the new version battery monitor for $130 and eliminate the RJ45 jack and cable. And then do whatever I had to do to get the shunt into a weatherproof environment.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #39

Thanks Mike. Since I'm still under warranty, I'm working with the factory Dynamax service person to see if they will replace it. I've had my fair share of warranty issues and slowly they send me the replacement parts. I'm waiting on approval for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
For what it's worth, I have a BMV-712. I love it, but I don't look at nor have I mounted the round display. I leave it in a small box in the pass through (cabled to the shunt). This is because the round display is what broadcasts the Bluetooth signal to my cellphone and thus to the Victron app. So I never look at the round display. But when I bought it, that was the cleanest way to get Bluetooth connectivity. Now you can buy the battery monitor with Bluetooth built-in to the shunt itself. And it's a lot less than what I paid for the 712. Here's the link to Amazon, it's $130.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...3975985&sr=8-4

When I did my lithium/solar/inverter installation I moved the shunt and everything into the pass through of my TT. Correction, I left the two batteries out on the tongue.

If there's a "fairly easy" way to move the new shunt inside, I would do that. If that's not fairly easy, then definitely use a weatherproof box as suggested above.

I know it's easy for me to spend other people's money, but if I wanted the problem solved quickly I'd buy the new version battery monitor for $130 and eliminate the RJ45 jack and cable. And then do whatever I had to do to get the shunt into a weatherproof environment.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks Mike. Since I'm still under warranty, I'm working with the factory Dynamax service person to see if they will replace it. I've had my fair share of warranty issues and slowly they send me the replacement parts. I'm waiting on approval for a replacement.
That's great. I hope they do replace it under warranty. After all, they chose to mount it in that location. Let us know how it goes.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags