Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Victron BMV-712 Dead, 2021 I5, 34DS

The screen is completely blank. I've had this happen before and it was the pos. wire that connects to the shunt that had become disconnected. I check that wire again and it was connected plus I checked that wire had voltage which it does (fuse is good). I disconnected the pos. wire from the shunt and reattached it. I checked to be sure there is connectivity through the shunt with my voltmeter. I removed the UTP cable from the shunt and reconnected it. I removed the UTP cable from the back of the BMV-712 monitor and reconnected it. I tried to log into the app and it couldn't find the Victron.

What am I missing or not testing? Any idea what is wrong?

The coach batteries shut down while stored and everything is off. I have 5 solar panels however, we've not had any sun for several days and today I went out there to discover the coach was dead. I have 3 lith. batteries. I'm bothered the batts shut down with nothing on.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

I'm confused. (not unusual). You say you have voltage at the positive wire at the shunt and then you say the batteries have shut down. How did you get a voltage reading with no battery power?

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I'm confused. (not unusual). You say you have voltage at the positive wire at the shunt and then you say the batteries have shut down. How did you get a voltage reading with no battery power?
Power came after I started the engine and charged the batts some. I had to get everything up and running to see I didn't have a screen working on the Victron. Then I started testing everything. Sorry if that caused confusion.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
Power came after I started the engine and charged the batts some. I had to get everything up and running to see I didn't have a screen working on the Victron. Then I started testing everything. Sorry if that caused confusion.
does the phone app by chance work?

if so perhaps display got shut off if that's possible.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:55 AM   #5

It sounds like the shunt may be the issue if the app doesn't work. The display is a 'nice to have' but not necessary.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #6

I'm not sure which part of the Victron system is responsible for the Bluetooth signal, the shunt or the monitor. If it's the shunt and you are unable to find the Victron on the app and you are sure you are getting 12v on the red wire, I can only think the little PC board on the shunt is dead.

The only other thing I think it could be is that the red wire is now connected to the wrong terminal (b2 vs b1) but that wouldn't explain the sudden blank screen. Dead batteries would, though.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #7

Victron says to connect the negative to the shunt that’s how I have mine, have you been using the positive with it working?
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...tion-guide.pdf
Old 06-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Victron says to connect the negative to the shunt that’s how I have mine, have you been using the positive with it working?
There's a small red wire that feeds the shunt a positive from the batteries, also.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
As Eric said, it's the small red wire that feeds the shunt. See the arrow.

I have verified the red wire is installed in B1.

For those who have asked if the app works, no it doesn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron B1 Arrow.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	255938  
Old 06-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #10

I might have found the issue. I had my son watch the monitor and I wiggled all the wires to see if it would attempt to come back on. The pos. red wire where it connects to the battery seems to make the monitor flash some. It looks just fine but I'm guessing where the wire is crimped into the round connector it is loose. I'll redo this connection and hope that solves the issue.

BTW, as you can see, the battery compartment is very dirty. The new 34DS has an open battery compartment to the grit and grime from the road. It's time for me to clean this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-02_9-22-12.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	255954  
Old 06-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #11

I think you found it, also.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
I might have found the issue. I had my son watch the monitor and I wiggled all the wires to see if it would attempt to come back on. The pos. red wire where it connects to the battery seems to make the monitor flash some. It looks just fine but I'm guessing where the wire is crimped into the round connector it is loose. I'll redo this connection and hope that solves the issue.

BTW, as you can see, the battery compartment is very dirty. The new 34DS has an open battery compartment to the grit and grime from the road. It's time for me to clean this area.
I'd visit your local auto parts store and get some battery terminal cleaner and some battery terminal protector. Spray with cleaner and if necessary do some scrubbing. Once dry then spray with the protectant to help keep corrosion at bay.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:

I’m betting it has nothing to do with the crimp but all to do with the rusted and dry terminal connections. As another poster recommended clean those terminal up with some battery terminal cleaner and apply some dialectic grease.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #14

And if you figure out a good method to close up that electrical/battery area, I'd like to hear about it. I have the identical unit on order (with lithium) and as we live in the land of ice and snow (and salt) I can't imagine what this area will look like after a season of use, even with minor exposure to salt. We ski and use our rig all year round.

Modifying this zone will be the first project on my list after delivery.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
And if you figure out a good method to close up that electrical/battery area, I'd like to hear about it. I have the identical unit on order (with lithium) and as we live in the land of ice and snow (and salt) I can't imagine what this area will look like after a season of use, even with minor exposure to salt. We ski and use our rig all year round.

Kind of hard to “seal” and allow for air flow. I think battery compartments need to be open to outside circulation to vent dangerous battery gasses…

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #16

Those are Relion Lithiums, so no gasses. I'm sure your issue is terminal hygiene. Once cleaned, a product called "Corrosion X" is great to prevent future degradation.
roblombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #17

Yes. I have lithium ordered. I have chatted with BC on this issue. Because there are some with AGM batteries, and some others who might replace dead AGMs with standard batteries, they can't close the area from the factory.

But the area is almost directly behind the drivers side duallys. They kick up a ton of "junk" and I see no reason or desire (in my case) to leave this area open to the elements.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes. I have lithium ordered. I have chatted with BC on this issue. Because there are some with AGM batteries, and some others who might replace dead AGMs with standard batteries, they can't close the area from the factory.

But the area is almost directly behind the drivers side duallys. They kick up a ton of "junk" and I see no reason or desire (in my case) to leave this area open to the elements.
Creatively, maybe glue up some window screen around the battery area, will keep out big materials, rocks, etc, but allow airflow.

For your ring terminals, on that smaller wire, get the kind that have heat shrink already built in.

Corrosion preventative sprays are nice, but not necessary, as they don't keep dirt off, and actually stick more of it. Recommend just a light washing with baking soda and water, rinse, blow it dry with an air hose, and call it good.
RichXEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichXEE View Post
Creatively, maybe glue up some window screen around the battery area, will keep out big materials, rocks, etc, but allow airflow.

For your ring terminals, on that smaller wire, get the kind that have heat shrink already built in.

Corrosion preventative sprays are nice, but not necessary, as they don't keep dirt off, and actually stick more of it. Recommend just a light washing with baking soda and water, rinse, blow it dry with an air hose, and call it good.
I was gonna suggest keeping some ventilation even though the lithium batts don't off-gas like lead acid does.

Maybe look for a large rubbermaid storage tub that's about the right size and trim it to fit the space and it would be easily mounted with screws or botls and large fender washers.

This is part of why I'm looking forward to going lithum on my 2017 I5, I'll enclose the old battery bay (driver side 2nd door) and maybe put my air compressor there as I'm gonna put lithium batts inside the coach under the bed.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:

Yes, I hate that this area is open. I'm looking at modifying it. With lithium batteries, it should not be a problem. I'm glad you talked to BC because I thought this was just a stupid design. Good to know they had a reason however, I think they could have enclosed it and added some vents.

Thanks for everyone else recommending cleaning it up and different products which I plan to do this weekend.

Tags