Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Victron BMV-712 Screen Blank, 2001 I5, 34DS

I just noticed my Victron Battery Monitor screen is blank. It has been working. Is there a fuse somewhere? I was going to take it off the wall to be sure everything is plugged in but I don't see how it removes, no screws.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron Energy.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	249486  
Lvnthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that there is a fuse on the red positive wire that is hooked to your battery.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

IIRC there's a threaded nut on the back of the body sandwiching whatever its mounted into. Id pull the panel its mounted in and make sure the cable is plugged in the back of it.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

Before removing a panel go to your battery bank and find the shunt. It should be connected at the negative terminal of your battery. Look for the small red wire going from the shunt to the positive terminal. There should be an inline fuse as I remember. Check all the connections there before dismantling your RV.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Did you hit the battery disconnect?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

BC, I turned off the round...... I can't remember what they are called in the battery compartment. Then I turned it back on. Is that something I should not ever do? Learning.......
Old 03-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
BC, I turned off the round...... I can't remember what they are called in the battery compartment. Then I turned it back on. Is that something I should not ever do? Learning.......
Who is your dealer? They should have done a full walk-though to explain all the functions.

The battery disconnect (round red thing) is just that, it disconnects the batteries so you are not draining them. You can certainly turn that off and on, it won't hurt anything. If you have that OFF though, the Victron might not display (I don't 100% recall where it is connected in the process). Also have you tried pushing a button to see if it is just asleep?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
I just noticed my Victron Battery Monitor screen is blank. It has been working. Is there a fuse somewhere? I was going to take it off the wall to be sure everything is plugged in but I don't see how it removes, no screws.

Thanks for your help.
There is a fuse in the screw-together fuse holder (circled in the picture below) for the +12v supply to the monitor itself. This is supposed to be wired directly to the battery as indicated by the screen shot I’ve attached here.

There has also been talk about the fact that they ship with 100ma fuses installed, but Victron is suggesting reaplcing those with a 1a fuse due to the 100ma fuse being “prone to voltage drop and other issues over the course of their life”. I installed my Victron BMV and the fuse was bad right out of the gate, so I replaced it with the 1m fuse as suggested and have not had any issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmv.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	249508  
Old 03-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

BC, I've pushed buttons and nothing. I guess I'll look at what others have mentioned in the responses.

You might remember me, I'm the guy that had the water tank implode and a list of other issues. I'm working with Danielle your service person. She has been very responsive. My dealer was Lazyday's Tampa. So far I have not heard back from their service person after an email and follow-up phone call.

To add to my issues I listed on the thread "Irritated Water Tank", I thought the generator was leaking oil. I thought maybe it was a loose filter or drain plug. It's not, it is leaking diesel fuel. See photos. It's hard to see the drips in the photos but it's at the connection line or most likely the threaded parts.

Corbin Sakdol
Vin last #'s 170362
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen Drip  Fuel 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	249505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Drip  Fuel 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	249506  
Old 03-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #10

This is the correct size/shape fuse in the 1a rating. I'm not advocating for this brand or this vendor, just the first one I found as an example.

https://www.amazon.com/T1AL250V-T1L2.../dp/B008QXVT4Y
Old 03-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #11

I've found a loose wire. It is attached to the battery positive terminal. It has a fuse in the wire and goes from a red wire attached to a brown wire. Where does this go? I see a larger red wire in the photos that does not have anything attached to it but I'd be a little surprised the two different gauge wires would attach together.

Can anyone tell me where this wire attaches? dalford, maybe this wire is what you are talking about.

BLT, I looked for the fuse you showed me however, I don't see that anywhere. I'm guessing my wire with a missing home has something to do with my Victron Battery Monitor not working.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wire 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	249515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	249516  
Old 03-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
I've found a loose wire. It is attached to the battery positive terminal. It has a fuse in the wire and goes from a red wire attached to a brown wire. Where does this go? I see a larger red wire in the photos that does not have anything attached to it but I'd be a little surprised the two different gauge wires would attach together.

Can anyone tell me where this wire attaches? dalford, maybe this wire is what you are talking about.

BLT, I looked for the fuse you showed me however, I don't see that anywhere. I'm guessing my wire with a missing home has something to do with my Victron Battery Monitor not working.
The wires and fuse holder you have identified in your pictures are way, WAY too big for the Victron BMV. The +12v supply to the BMV is SUPER small (20ga?). The +12v for the BMV doesn’t NEED to land on the batteries, but that’s what Victron shows in their installation instructions. As someone else suggested, find the shunt on the negative battery cables and you’ll find the (much) smaller black and red wires that are supply power to the monitor itself. Trace the red wire back until you find the fuse. The fuse is closer to the source of power than it is to the shunt though.

Below is a picture of my BMV connection and while obscured from view, the arrow is pointing to the approximate location of the fuse.

Here’s a question: Is there anything else in the coach NOT working aside from the BMV? ….or is the BMV the ONLY thing that is non-functional?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	249517  
Old 03-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #13

On the right track

Quote:

You are on the right track. Two questions:
1) Did you open the fuse holder between the red and brown wires and inspect the fuse? Push the two ends together, then twist. You should be able to inspect and see a fine wire from end-to-end. If not, take it to any auto parts store and ask for a "1 amp fuse in that physical size."

2) That wire looks like it has pulled free from a crimp-on terminal. Look around the area and see if you see a terminal with no wire. I'll attach pictures of terminals so you know what to look for. If you take the terminal to the auto parts store, they can sell you a new terminal and crimping tool. Insert the wire into the terminal as deep as it will go. The wire insulation should be inside the plastic sleeve. Put the crimping tool onto the metal part of the terminal (not the end with only plastic, and crush the terminal as hard as you can. (If this is your first one, it will help to have a second person hold both terminal and wire while you crimp. Otherwise it's easy to have the terminal slip off just as you crush it, ruining the terminal.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You are on the right track. Two questions:
1) Did you open the fuse holder between the red and brown wires and inspect the fuse? Push the two ends together, then twist. You should be able to inspect and see a fine wire from end-to-end. If not, take it to any auto parts store and ask for a "1 amp fuse in that physical size."

2) That wire looks like it has pulled free from a crimp-on terminal. Look around the area and see if you see a terminal with no wire. I'll attach pictures of terminals so you know what to look for. If you take the terminal to the auto parts store, they can sell you a new terminal and crimping tool. Insert the wire into the terminal as deep as it will go. The wire insulation should be inside the plastic sleeve. Put the crimping tool onto the metal part of the terminal (not the end with only plastic, and crush the terminal as hard as you can. (If this is your first one, it will help to have a second person hold both terminal and wire while you crimp. Otherwise it's easy to have the terminal slip off just as you crush it, ruining the terminal.
Larry, yes, if I can find which wire it attaches to, I can attach it, I have the tools. The only wire I see that does not have anything attached to it is much larger in size which I find strange since the wire without a home (smaller wire) comes directly off the positive side of the batt.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
The wires and fuse holder you have identified in your pictures are way, WAY too big for the Victron BMV. The +12v supply to the BMV is SUPER small (20ga?). The +12v for the BMV doesn’t NEED to land on the batteries, but that’s what Victron shows in their installation instructions. As someone else suggested, find the shunt on the negative battery cables and you’ll find the (much) smaller black and red wires that are supply power to the monitor itself. Trace the red wire back until you find the fuse. The fuse is closer to the source of power than it is to the shunt though.

Below is a picture of my BMV connection and while obscured from view, the arrow is pointing to the approximate location of the fuse.

Here’s a question: Is there anything else in the coach NOT working aside from the BMV? ….or is the BMV the ONLY thing that is non-functional?
BLT, I'm going to go look again. In your photo with the arrow, where does that wire go? I think that is the wire that does not connect to anything on my rig. On does everything work.....I think so however, I was filling with propane yesterday and the guy couldn't get the propane valve to release so I didn't end up getting propane. I'm not sure if it was an issue on his end or if there is actually something wrong. I'll try to fill again maybe today.

BTW, are you in Colo now? I hope you are somewhere warm, we are about to get hit with a big snowstorm.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
BLT, I'm going to go look again. In your photo with the arrow, where does that wire go? I think that is the wire that does not connect to anything on my rig.
They connect to the Victron shunt on the main negative battery cable.

Quote:
On does everything work.....I think so however, I was filling with propane yesterday and the guy couldn't get the propane valve to release so I didn't end up getting propane. I'm not sure if it was an issue on his end or if there is actually something wrong. I'll try to fill again maybe today.
Yeah, I don’t think the propane valve is enough of a suspect in this situation.

Quote:
BTW, are you in Colo now? I hope you are somewhere warm, we are about to get hit with a big snowstorm.
Yep. Sitting at 8,000ft right now waiting for the pending “doom” to hit us.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #17

[QUOTE=BLT4SPD;2516993]They connect to the Victron shunt on the main negative battery cable.

That was it. The wire didn't like to stay in very well so I stripped it back more and it seems secure. My Victron is back on. Now I know what a "shunt" is.

Thank you and everyone else for your help.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Sorry, I was late. EE got back with me to confirm what you already know...Shunt.

He also confirmed, the "capped wire" you circled is just in the harness for a 2nd set of solar panels for Xplorer package.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
, I thought the generator was leaking oil. I thought maybe it was a loose filter or drain plug. It's not, it is leaking diesel fuel. See photos. It's hard to see the drips in the photos but it's at the connection line or most likely the threaded parts.

Corbin Sakdol
Vin last #'s 170362
My engineer noticed these pictures and said it looks odd. The fittings come in to use installed from Onan. the crimp clamps do not look like what we use on the fuel line...we use a hose clamp and he checked multiple installs.

Could be a change that was made, but has anyone worked on the Gen?

Old 03-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
My engineer noticed these pictures and said it looks odd. The fittings come in to use installed from Onan. the crimp clamps do not look like what we use on the fuel line...we use a hose clamp and he checked multiple installs.

Could be a change that was made, but has anyone worked on the Gen?
No one has touched the Gen except my inspection. I'm wondering if that brass-looking fitting is cracked. What is your recommendation on dealing with the repair?

I hate to keep adding on to the repairs. I've filled propane a few times since I purchased it. I went to fill it again two days ago and he couldn't get it to take propane. I went to another location today thinking maybe it would work and it didn't.