Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

want to remove the slide topper

Sorry, I know I've seen a great thread on this but I can't find it. We want to get rid of the topper on our 30FW. Being wind sport enthusiasts (windsurf mostly) we often camp in windy spots and we are sick of being kept up all night by the incessant banging of the topper in the wind. It sounds like something is surely coming apart out there, or in some instances, like someone is trying to break in through the slide! We have tried every trick we can think of to tie it down, anchor it, blocked the ends, etc, nothing works. If you have removed your slide topper, can you please share how you went about it, how many people you needed to help, and if you were able to save it. We don't want to destroy it, just want it off, at least for now, with the possible option of replacing it in the future. However, if there is no way to preserve, so be it. We want it gone.
Thank you!!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Sorry, I know I've seen a great thread on this but I can't find it. We want to get rid of the topper on our 30FW. Being wind sport enthusiasts (windsurf mostly) we often camp in windy spots and we are sick of being kept up all night by the incessant banging of the topper in the wind. It sounds like something is surely coming apart out there, or in some instances, like someone is trying to break in through the slide! We have tried every trick we can think of to tie it down, anchor it, blocked the ends, etc, nothing works. If you have removed your slide topper, can you please share how you went about it, how many people you needed to help, and if you were able to save it. We don't want to destroy it, just want it off, at least for now, with the possible option of replacing it in the future. However, if there is no way to preserve, so be it. We want it gone.

Thank you!!

Go to carefree of Colorado to download the user Manuel / install manual. Not difficult to remove. Consider it does keep rain off the top and reduces dirt on top.

A alternative is to throw a rope over the topper (when open ) and tie it down.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Go to carefree of Colorado to download the user Manuel / install manual. Not difficult to remove. Consider it does keep rain off the top and reduces dirt on top.

Thanks, yeah, we did the rope tie down, useless in big wind. We've tried everything. This is truly a last resort.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:

Get a recovery strap in 3 or 4 inch wide long enough to fit your slide and for a ties strap of som sort throw the recovery strap over the slide tooeee secure to put tension on and even in 35 mph winds your toppers will be quieter
Old 03-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Thank you!!

OK go ahead!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #6

I feel the benefits of a slide topper greatly outweigh the cons. Anyway, the way I deal with topper flapping is to get a large diameter swim noodle. Noodles come in various diameters, with the usual ones at about 3". However, there are also extra large ones that are more like 5" in diameter. Simply tie a short piece of cord in one end so it is easy to remove, and slide it in between the roof of the slide-out and the topper. Flapping will stop, and the added benefit is that no water will pool there either.

Good luck

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #7

I agree about the toppers flapping noise being most aggrevating. It's the main reason we got rid of them on our previous RV and specifically didn't get them on our current unit.
Removing them was as simple removing the mounting screws and sealing the holes left. Could of easily reinstalled them if we had desired.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I agree about the toppers flapping noise being most aggrevating. It's the main reason we got rid of them on our previous RV and specifically didn't get them on our current unit.
Removing them was as simple removing the mounting screws and sealing the holes left. Could of easily reinstalled them if we had desired.
Thank you!!! I appreciate all the other advice, but as I said, we have tried them ALL!. Pool noodles, PVC pipe, straps, ropes, blocking the air at the sides, you name it, we tried it. We often camp in 30-40mph wind, nothing keeps the damn thing from flapping in that amount of wind.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You can easily remove just the topper fabric using the same concept as removing/replacing a main awning fabric.

Both ends of the topper fabric piping/spline fit in track/slots and can be slid out and removed from the tracks once a little tension is removed from the topper wind spring. (and possibly a screw or two)

I'd just remove the fabric and leave the hardware intact if you decide to sell it could easily be reinstalled.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You can easily remove just the topper fabric using the same concept as removing/replacing a main awning fabric.

Both ends of the topper fabric piping/spline fit in track/slots and can be slid out and removed from the tracks once a little tension is removed from the topper wind spring. (and possibly a screw or two)

I'd just remove the fabric and leave the hardware intact if you decide to sell it could easily be reinstalled.

The roller needs to be locked in place first as under spring tension. This is why is said get the manual which has instructions how to remove. Don’t want to miss a step and risk damaging the awning or yourself.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The roller needs to be locked in place first as under spring tension. This is why is said get the manual which has instructions how to remove. Don’t want to miss a step and risk damaging the awning or yourself.
And why I said using the same concept as replacing the fabric on a main awning.

Always safety first!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

Listen to theweather forecast and do what we do....If high winds are forecasted we put the Broom slide in for the night and get a good sleep....A lot less haggle!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide