Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #1

Waste Water Tank Level Indication Issues

We are the proud owners of a 2017 Dynamax 5-Series Isata 36DS. We have two issues. First, neither the black or gray tank will indicate a level above one third full. I think that fixing this issue is well within my skill level but I am unable to get to the sensors on the tanks - which leads to the second issue.

I can't remove the black plastic vanity cover that obscures a view of the two tanks. as indicated in the attached picture, the screws are behind sone sheet metal that holds the weatherstripping for the wet bay. So, how do I remove the plastic panel without cutting it out/off? I can see the screws that hold it in place but I can neither get the square screwdriver into the screws nor can I take a bit and get it into the screw and turn it with a wrench. I don't really want to remove the sheet-metal that holds the weatherstripping in place, nor do I want to cut the plastic panel out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet bay 6.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	287169  
dwmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Tech and Repair section to the Dynamax sub-forum for better support from other Dynamax owners and factory reps.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
Commercial Member

We put that plastic panel on after the doors are set...we must have used a 90 degree fitting or power ratchet with a bit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #4

Thank you for moving my post to a more appropriate space!
Old 05-14-2023, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We put that plastic panel on after the doors are set...we must have used a 90 degree fitting or power ratchet with a bit.
As you can see from the picture, the screws are behind the weatherstrip gasket. The screws on the hinge side are even closer to the external sheet metal.

I am almost at the point that I want to cut the panel at either end to remove the obstruction to my access to the sensors and put it back up with screws into something backing on either side of the cuts to put the panel back into place. There is no way I can get any kind of appliance into the screws to remove them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	287175  
Old 05-15-2023, 07:19 PM   #6
hhl

Maybe this small mini rachet could work for you. To loosen the panel screws.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230515_171232_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	287242
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #7

Thank you, HHL, for the tool suggestion. I can't even get a screwdriver bit into the hinge side much less have space to accommodate the length of the screw as there is about 1/2-inch of space there (the screws appear to be 1-inch long). Something must have shifted over the years to make the space between the exterior wall and the screws for the plastic panel less than what it was when it was installed. I am not sure how this could have happened, but it did. Brian Clemmons said that the panel was installed after the door was set and fitted in place but there is now no way to get the panel of that I can see without disassembling the sheet metal that holds the door and the weatherstripping in place. I am reluctant to do this. In fact, I will not do it.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:02 AM   #8

Are you sure the two hex-head screws (left and right corners in the image) above the seal gasket and through the frame are not holding in the plastic panel? Mine is attached that way. It has four screws attaching the panel. They go through the cargo bay sheet metal frame into a piece of wood that is attached to the top of the panel.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:08 AM   #9

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I am sure. Dynamax may have changed how they attach the panel after they manufactured my unit.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:50 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Worse case, I think you can pull the door and then the metal panel. I do think they are designed to be removable in case tanks would need changed.

But I have asked to see how we used to install it.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:03 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Engineering says the whole panel is mounted onto some aluminum frame. If you look UP, an angle is screwed into the perimeter. If you take those screws out, the whole thing drops down.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Engineering says the whole panel is mounted onto some aluminum frame. If you look UP, an angle is screwed into the perimeter. If you take those screws out, the whole thing drops down.
Thanks for the information Brian. I have looked multiple times. There is nothing at the top holding the panel in place because the entire panel flexes except at the ends where you can see the screws shown in the second picture. The Precision Plex panel has some small blocks of 1/4-inch plywood that gives the screws that hold that small panel in place. The aluminum angle braces on either end of the wet bay are the only things that hold the larger plastic panel in place and they look to be glued or double sided taped in place. My rig is in for scheduled maintenance on the chassis right now (we are preparing for an 8000-mile trip) so I can't get more detailed pictures for you at this point. I should get it back sometime toward the end of the week and I will take pictures behind the panel for you. Right now I am reluctant to remove the sheet metal on the exterior of the wet bay.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello Brian,
I took some additional pictures to give you an idea what I am working with. The first picture is of the plastic panel and I show my finger to give you a size reference. the second and third pictures are of the back side of the panel where they are mounted to the aluminum angle brackets through which you can see screws protruding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wet bay 7.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	287304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Bay 8.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	287305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Bay 9.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	287306  
Old 05-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #14
Commercial Member

That is the aluminum angle they were talking about. can you get to those screws?

Old 05-17-2023, 02:37 PM   #15

Apology to Brian

Quote:
Hi Brian, I looked closely at the pictures I took and it appears that there are, in fact, fasteners holding the angle brackets to the wet bay. I will work on the rig when I get it back from my mechanic. In any case, Jamie Justis says that it could be problems associated with the Precision Plex. Some people have reported that they had corrosion on the connections in the back of the unit in the wet bay, which is apparently the brains of the tank indications.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #16
Commercial Member

also correct.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
That is the aluminum angle they were talking about. can you get to those screws?
Yes I can, I will remove those fasteners when I get my unit back from my mechanic.

Thanks for your help Brian! I just couldn't see that there were screws in what appeared to be holes to me.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I would say...if you can't SEE the tank sensors detached or falling down, I would remove and inspect the digtial plex panel first. That is connected via data cable and it is daisy chained. If there is an issue with that plug (as Jamie mentioned) it causes other issues. NORMALLY when I see this, the LED read out is garbled as well (some missing characters or other oddities)

Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
I would say...if you can't SEE the tank sensors detached or falling down, I would remove and inspect the digtial plex panel first. That is connected via data cable and it is daisy chained. If there is an issue with that plug (as Jamie mentioned) it causes other issues. NORMALLY when I see this, the LED read out is garbled as well (some missing characters or other oddities)
Thanks Brian. none of the text is garbled on the panel. I have pulled the panel out without unplugging anything before I started this thread. Can I just unplug things while powered? I am afraid that I might cause problems doing that. Should I call the Precision Plex folks to ask that question?
Old 05-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #20
Commercial Member

It's just a low voltage data cable...I don't think we have ever had an issue unplugging on the fly.

Tags
cat, tank, water, water tank