Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Bigwave

Water filling the awning on the slide on Isata 3 FW

We have a 2017 Isata 3 24FW. When it rains out ( we've had plenty lately) the awning over the slide fills up with water, and stresses the awning. Any thoughts on keeping the water off
Thanks
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

If you are talking about the slide topper awning ... some put a soccer ball or similar under the awning material (be sure to remove it when pulling slide in). Others place a long bungee cord around the whole slide and draw the topper down against the slide roof. Again be sure to remove before retracting slide. Lotsa times there just isn't enough slope on the awning when installed to allow for rain runoff. Some will say put more tension on the awning roller spring, but that can be tricky, dangerous if not familiar with the procedure, and may cause topper failure.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

or just run the slide in... that'll take care of it!

it also be because the way you are parked, level wise, the water is not draining off -
so, you can 'relevel' your coach and let either the front or rear be slightly lower, giving the water somewhere to go...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My long slide topper holds some water too (only on a very hard rain) but I don't care. I'd rather have the water on the topper than on the slide roof.

Once the slide retracts and sheds the water, the awning goes right back into shape.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Canadian Member

You can raise the front of the trailer slightly - just enough so that the water drains off the back edge. Unless you do it well before putting the slide in and its sunny, you’ll still be rolling up the topper wet so I don’t think that it really matters.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Clamps like these with a bungee to bottom edge of slide wall, or rope to a tent stake or similar will take the slack out of the slide topper.
Attached Images

Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

My camper has a slide under the main awning. This is not a problem even during light winds, but heavy rain will dump the awning.

The material touches the corner of the slide room during dumps, so I slit a pool noodle and covered the top room edge to cushion the material during a dump.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

I've often thought about sticking something under mine to get the sag out of the middle but the damage thatd result from forgetting to remove whatever that was would far outweigh the annoyance of some water splashing when i put the slide in, so I've never done it
Old 05-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I've often thought about sticking something under mine to get the sag out of the middle but the damage thatd result from forgetting to remove whatever that was would far outweigh the annoyance of some water splashing when i put the slide in, so I've never done it
Just carry balloons. Worst it will do is pop...

Well, maybe not the worst thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	It.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	205127  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #10

If I carry balloons they're going to get filled with water and thrown at people. Theres really not any other way that scenario goes
Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #11

I have had the same concern regarding water on our slide topper on my Isata 3 FW. Like others, I have thought of putting a ball or a very sturdy balloon under it but then that is one more thing to add to the check list for breaking camp. What I wonder is if anyone has had their slide awning damaged due to the water? One would hope it was designed and built to handle that amount of weight. I do bring the slide in slowly when there is water on it; it holds a LOT of water. I am more concerned about the extra weight and the effect on the slide mechanism. Be sure your exterior storage doors are closed. And warn the spouse, or a damaged awning will be the least of your worries. That goes for whoever is bringing the slide in.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, water