Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #21

That’s what I did.

I opted for a General Electric GXWH20S. The filters are cheap and it has a bypass valve built into the housing. The lever is on the right.

Bob

HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nice job.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
When I saw the cost of the Water Pur KW1 filters and comments from a number of folks of the housing breaking, I replaced the housing with standard 10" whole house models that cost $14 each. Now I have my choice of filter media from the 5 micron string wound models at 2 for $4 up thru 0.5 micron cyst removal filters that run $15 each and are available everywhere. I ended up getting two housings, first one holds a string filter to clear the big stuff second is the 0.5 micron filter for most everything else.
Curious what 0.5 micron cartridge you are using? Is that an absolute or nominal rating? I installed a Crystal Quest UF (ultrafiltration) cartridge (10") as the final in a lineup of 4 filters beginning with a coarse sediment filter and has an absolute rating of 0.2 microns. The filters are under the kitchen sink at the back along with a Watts regulator.

One thing that can be important to some is getting a filter that NSF certified. Otherwise a manufacturer can make exaggerated claims (and they do) or not provide tech. specs at all.

Below is a photo of what was on our inlet's filter screen looked like after the end of an early season weekend trip. I don't particularly want to ingest that stuff... Many CGs shut down or most of it over the winter. Chlorine in the piping stagnates and dissipates over the winter and biological material can then grow. It was after seeing this biomass that I installed a good filtration system after doing a lot of research on water quality and filtration. After I spoke to the local water district, the manager made the CG flush their system out. This is supposed to be done annually before re-opening sites after a winter shutdown.

Doesn't matter where you go and what the water source and distribution system is, there can be all sorts of nasty stuff in the water besides biological like heavy metals, VOCs, pesticides, various chemicals, etc.

What's in your water?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #24

Doesn't matter where you go and what the water source and distribution system is, there can be all sorts of nasty stuff in the water besides biological like heavy metals, VOCs, pesticides, various chemicals, etc.

What's in your water?

[/QUOTE]

Last summer at a first nation campground in Ontario we took on water, and I have a pre-filter on my inlet hose, that looked like sewage. Then after we were hooked up we noticed a few small paper notices stapled to some trees that said not to use the water for drinking or washing and to boil it first. It was pretty disgusting. Odd that the lady at the check in didn't mention to not use the water?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter