Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

Water leak - Curious if this has happened to anyone else - Isata 3

Arrived at Jalama Beach last week for a week of relaxation and when I turned on the water pump, I heard a thumping or pulsing noise at the water heater. After spending 5 - 10 minutes looking at the water heater thinking it had a problem (which it did not), I walked over to the driver's side only to find water pouring out of all of the compartments on the driver's side. Went inside and found water on the floor of the coach mostly at the back and front of the driver's side.

After quickly turning off the pump I found that the valve on the outside shower in the wet bay compartment was on. A triple whammy of sorts. The valve had been turned on (I think I must have bumped the knob accidentally when checking the tank guages), the shower head itself was turned on and the hose that connects the shower to the faucet was only finger tight.

I dried the inside floor and all the compartments and raised the jacks on the passenger side for awhile so get any water to run out. Tightened the hose, turned off the faucet and closed the shower head valve.

After looking further into where the water may have travelled I found that the water had also travelled into the compartment at the foot of the bed and so dried everything in there.

Since the vinyl floor is one piece, I am assuming that the water did not do any permanent damage, but I would really like to see if there is any water residue inbetween that compartment at the foot of the bed and the Wet bay compartment, which I think makes use of the same floor vinyl? Based on a quick measurement, it would appear that the two back up to one another. Does anyone know for sure? Just wondering if there is any dead space inbetween the two

Thanks as always... Oh and by the way, our trip was salvaged in short order and we had a great time!!!

PS: Check that shower head hose to make sure it is tight and keep the faucet and shower head turned off. Something I will be keeping an eye on from now on...
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #2

I would not sweat a one off water leak. That outdoor shower is definitely an issue as the handles turn so easily. Maybe come up with some kind of a foam “lock” to wedge between them to keep them locked in the closed position.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I would not sweat a one off water leak. That outdoor shower is definitely an issue as the handles turn so easily. Maybe come up with some kind of a foam “lock” to wedge between them to keep them locked in the closed position.
Thanks Milkman. Yes, I definitely noticed how easy those handles turn. Had the hose been tight and the shower head turned off, it would not have been a problem w the faucet handles turned on.

I'm all ears if someone has a solution for keeping the faucet handles closed. Thx
Old 12-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Has anyone tried tightening the screw on the handle to see if that makes it tougher to turn?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Has anyone tried tightening the screw on the handle to see if that makes it tougher to turn?
I had not and so I just went out and tried to tighten them. Both screws are fully tight already.

The problem with the knobs turning so easy is that you can so easily and accidentally turn them on just by brushing against them. I actually realized when I was dumping the holding tanks how I more than likely had turned the knobs on initially to cause my problem in the first place. When checking the water guages and brushing my arm against the knob itself, it turned on wo me even realizing it was on.

Moving forward, I think I need to check the knobs to make sure they are closed whenever I close the wet bay door to avoid a similar problem.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #6

The same thing happened to me. Also have accidentally turned on the water several times. Try the keep the hose in the off position but like to drain it so water does not leak into the bay. Also looking for a way to secure the Valves. Might just have to disconnect the hose and cap it like some have done on this forum. Styrofoam just might work. To bad the valves don’t turn in opposite directions because a large rubber band could work if they did.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Arrived at Jalama Beach last week for a week of relaxation and when I turned on the water pump, I heard a thumping or pulsing noise at the water heater. After spending 5 - 10 minutes looking at the water heater thinking it had a problem (which it did not), I walked over to the driver's side only to find water pouring out of all of the compartments on the driver's side. Went inside and found water on the floor of the coach mostly at the back and front of the driver's side.

After quickly turning off the pump I found that the valve on the outside shower in the wet bay compartment was on. A triple whammy of sorts. The valve had been turned on (I think I must have bumped the knob accidentally when checking the tank guages), the shower head itself was turned on and the hose that connects the shower to the faucet was only finger tight.

I dried the inside floor and all the compartments and raised the jacks on the passenger side for awhile so get any water to run out. Tightened the hose, turned off the faucet and closed the shower head valve.

After looking further into where the water may have travelled I found that the water had also travelled into the compartment at the foot of the bed and so dried everything in there.

Since the vinyl floor is one piece, I am assuming that the water did not do any permanent damage, but I would really like to see if there is any water residue inbetween that compartment at the foot of the bed and the Wet bay compartment, which I think makes use of the same floor vinyl? Based on a quick measurement, it would appear that the two back up to one another. Does anyone know for sure? Just wondering if there is any dead space inbetween the two

Thanks as always... Oh and by the way, our trip was salvaged in short order and we had a great time!!!

PS: Check that shower head hose to make sure it is tight and keep the faucet and shower head turned off. Something I will be keeping an eye on from now on...

You may already be aware as I was not. When cold weather camping if you have an outside shower where you valves are on the outside wall they will freeze and you will have a water leak under you bathroom sink. At lease I did. I deadheaded the pipes under the sink as we never have used the outside shower on any of our TT before.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #8

The same happened to me after driving about 600 miles. Hooked up to water at my sight in the dark, turned it on and finished up the rest of my hook ups to start to see water pouring out the bottom on the passenger side. So of courses started looking there. Found out it was the shower in the bay, but it ran the other way out. Those handles turn so easily, I'm sure I either hit it or something in the bay hit it. Am consistently checking them now. I'm sure someone could come up with something that would work in there so they won't go on so easily. Maybe totally different handles?
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

I put a piece of scotch packaging tape around each handle and fastened them in the middle so they are closing each valve as a temporary fix. Oops, its been a couple years now. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20201208_141522_6518.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	244262  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #10

Mimay12’s packaging tape idea works for me. Might check the o-ring in the cartridge and other parts to see if more drag can be put on it.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I put a piece of scotch packaging tape around each handle and fastened them in the middle so they are closing each valve as a temporary fix. Oops, its been a couple years now. Oh well.
Simple yet clever fix. Always the best.

Will tape mine in the morning..

Thanks mlmay12
Old 12-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #12

I have been thinking about adding a 1/4 turn ball valve to mine where the shower hose connects.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddahle View Post
I have been thinking about adding a 1/4 turn ball valve to mine where the shower hose connects.
That would leave you to the possibility of your outside shower valves being open and mixing the hot and cold water without you knowing. There are many threads where this has happened with the outdoor shower on and the button on the shower head closed then they wonder why there isn't hot water.
At least with just the button on the shower head closed you still have water dribbling to give you an idea to what is happening, with a 1/4 turn ball valve you will not have the dribble.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #14

Since misery loves company I am glad to see I am not the only one dealing w this problem.

Brian, has anything been done differently to the design of the new Isata's (assuming the other models make use of a similar outdoor shower set-up) that would eliminate these problems? If so, what is it? If not, it may be an area to look at.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Since misery loves company I am glad to see I am not the only one dealing w this problem.

Brian, has anything been done differently to the design of the new Isata's (assuming the other models make use of a similar outdoor shower set-up) that would eliminate these problems? If so, what is it? If not, it may be an area to look at.
Based on this thread, we believe we will move to the outside shower set up that we use on the trucks.

It is a different faucet and has a quick connect coiled hose with a typical garden type sprayer. So you have to PULL the handle for it to spray.

So, you could only connect the hose when you need it so even if the faucet was on, nothing comes out until the hose is connected. Or, even with the hose connected and water on, it would only spray when you pull the sprayer handle.

This set up would NOT however prevent you from having the water ON and the hose OFF and allowing hot/cold to mix in there. Easy fix is to change out the sprayer today or just make sure you leave the hose OFF. Same issue exists. Or, you can just change out the faucet. its a fairly standard item.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #16
Commercial Member

For the inevitable next question.
60P12833A
HOSE, COIL 15 FOOT 3/8" DIAMETER WITH NOZZLE AND CONNECTOR

55-D10010081
FAUCET, 4" W/ 1 1/2" SHANK, BRASS QUICK-CONNECT KIT

Old 12-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Based on this thread, we believe we will move to the outside shower set up that we use on the trucks.

It is a different faucet and has a quick connect coiled hose with a typical garden type sprayer. So you have to PULL the handle for it to spray.

So, you could only connect the hose when you need it so even if the faucet was on, nothing comes out until the hose is connected. Or, even with the hose connected and water on, it would only spray when you pull the sprayer handle.

This set up would NOT however prevent you from having the water ON and the hose OFF and allowing hot/cold to mix in there. Easy fix is to change out the sprayer today or just make sure you leave the hose OFF. Same issue exists. Or, you can just change out the faucet. its a fairly standard item.

Thanks Brian. Any chance you have some pics of what that shower setup looks like?
Old 12-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Brian. Any chance you have some pics of what that shower setup looks like?
no, but 28 seconds in you can catch a glimpse.

Edit: Or I guess in the very thumbnail used for the video. That was fortunate.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That would leave you to the possibility of your outside shower valves being open and mixing the hot and cold water without you knowing. There are many threads where this has happened with the outdoor shower on and the button on the shower head closed then they wonder why there isn't hot water.
At least with just the button on the shower head closed you still have water dribbling to give you an idea to what is happening, with a 1/4 turn ball valve you will not have the dribble.
I can see your point but I will take the cold water over wet compartments any day. I came to this solution after working in the compartment I bumped the faucet and the shower head was not closed.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #20

The only water leak we have had in our 2018 Isata 3 was at the connector to the water pump. It was extremely difficult to get at...had to trim 1/8 “ off the wall panel to replace.
Great idea using the tape on the outdoor shower handles
Tkseadawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak